CFL Draft Prospect Rankings

Jpan85

Hard to say what off the board is at this point.

Number of reasons Coombs could be ranked #9 at the moment. Did everyone in the league even know his eligibility?

Either way, the rankings are going to change a million times before the draft.

At this time last year, Edem was ranked tenth and some people thought on draft day he could go #1

IMHO,

Gill will go late first round, but may slide to second round if he gets strong NFL interest at the east-west bowl.  No one wants to waste a draft pick on a guy that is going to the show.  Against that, there is a spot on every team for a DL with his size and strength.

Coombs will likely go 3rd to 4th round.  Great talent, great speed, unbelievable balance, but is undersized.  He's always proven his critics wrong, but the bias against smaller players exists.   He could well be available for the Bombers at 20th overall.   I think most CFL teams will look at him as a kick returner who can backup at RB, rather than as a starter.    I personally believe that he could be an outstanding rotational back in the CFL.  Not built for every play pounding, but when it's time to make the LB's run, sub him in and pitch the ball or make a tired LB try to cover him in man coverage out of the backfield and let's watch him go.

(Disclaimer:  I have a huge bias in favour of Manitoba players)

On who we should take...I'd love to see Gill in Blue and Gold.  I know we have a need at centre and there are a couple highly ranked, but Gill is a guy who has decade long stalwart on the DL written all over him, the fact he's from Winnipeg and won't go running east the first chance he gets as a free agent makes it an easy pick IMO.  The only worry would be the NFL (he's in the Shrine game), but that's going to be a concern with anyone we draft 2nd overall.

Where do you personally see Coombs being taken?

Probably late 1st round, early 2nd round.  Being in this draft gives him a much better opportunity with it's lack of depth and NCAA players.  He's a tremendous back at the CIS level, but he'll need to work on his style to play tailback in the CFL, be more efficient and get upfield with a bit of power.  A lot of Coombs big runs come on plays where he does a lot of east-west running and even backtracking, he has improved on this issue over his CIS career.  His agility is just that much better than the guys trying to tackle him, but it won't be in the CFL.  He won't be able to bail himself out when he runs back 5 yards but breaks 3 tackles to end up with a 5 year gain in the CFL.  He's got decent hands out of the backfield, but he's not anything close to Harris (not even going to compare anyone to Cornish, I played against Harris in high school and with him on provincial team, and have seen Coombs since he was at Sturgeon).  Anyone drafting him is taking the gamble that he can continue to improve as much as he has over his time with the Bisons, they had no plan on using him as a tailback, planned to move him to corner, but he won the job and has improved exponentially year after year.  His last season was the best one by a CanWest RB since Anthony Woodson in 07 IMO, I think Woodson is a pretty good comparable for Coombs, although Woodson is a better overall athlete, obviously Woodson's CIS and CFL career has been completely derailed by injuries.

Honestly I think Nic Demski (2015 draft) is a better CFL prospect, he flipped from being a great tailback to being a very good receiver, and not just the Anthony Parker run by guys type of receiver, he's a good route runner, and he's only a couple years into playing that spot.  Both Coombs and Demski will be able to return kicks in the CFL, Demski can play cover units too.  Hopefully Dobie keeps Demski at receiver if Coombs ends up in the CFL in 2014, although Demski would still be a top prospect as a tailback, just an incredibly dangerous guy whenever he has the ball, perfect to fill a hybrid playmaker role in an offence.

If Coombs will have a good combine, I wouldn't be surprised if climb within the top 5. Let's wait and see.

Running backs don't do a lot at combines that can impress.  1 on 1 pass routes vs LB's.  The guys who really move in combines are OL/DL and receivers or DB's.

It's gonna be based on his film.  Coombs isn't going to post an insane 40 time or throw up 25 on the bench, he'll probably do pretty good on the cones.

Gill will show very well at the combine, both the physical testing and 1 on 1's.

Get me two of Lavertu, Coombs and Caron

I'd be ecstatic.

Agreed. I wonder if we'd be able to get Caron in the second round considering his stock has dropped a bit. I suppose everything will depend on how many Canadian top prospects get invites with NFL teams.

I'd be ecstatic.

Agreed. I wonder if we'd be able to get Caron in the second round considering his stock has dropped a bit. I suppose everything will depend on how many Canadian top prospects get invites with NFL teams.

We traded away our second rounder to Sask in the Patrick Neufeld trade.

I'd be ecstatic.

We traded away our second rounder to Sask in the Patrick Neufeld trade.

D'oh, forgot about that.