Ticats @ Als

Jacquie

Smith is the real deal folks.  One of the two best arms in the league.  Doesn't look like a rookie, in his first start.  Can run, but still looks down the field to make a throw.  Is reading the defense pretty well for a vet, let alone a rook.  

The good news is that Smith should take Montreal out of the Collaros sweepstakes.

It may take Montreal out of the Collaros sweepstakes...but it raises more questions about our own scouting...

well we've had 3 quarterbacks win games for us this year.... I'm going to stand by my opinion that Winnipegs #1 problems are coaching related and not talent related.

Smith is the real deal folks. One of the two best arms in the league. Doesn't look like a rookie, in his first start. Can run, but still looks down the field to make a throw. Is reading the defense pretty well for a vet, let alone a rook.

The good news is that Smith should take Montreal out of the Collaros sweepstakes.

There's no film on Smith so the Ticats were a little vulnerable with how they could scheme for him. They made some adjustments at half and he wasn't near as effective and ended the game with a less than 50% completion.

He has promise, but calling him the "real deal" is a bit of a stretch after only one productive half.

Troy Smith has the athetlic ability... but he also has shown that he can make some really bone headed throws. Need to see him play before I can say he's not the next Bishop/McPherson....

exactly... definitely not time to annoint him the saviour of montreal quite yet.. He could easily turn out to be the next jay walker as opposed to tracy ham..

Why is everyone getting a hard-on for Troy Smith? He played pretty good and sure he has a strong arm but he's a 29 year old washout and each one of us should know not to judge based on one game. Proclaiming him the "real deal" is incredibly premature. Perhaps it's just me but even with our crap QB situation, I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

I think it's universally established that AC would not be picked in the dispersal draft. Ottawa has much better options than a broken, fossilized Calvillo and no doubt he tells them that he'd sooner retire than leave Montreal. I don't see it as a problem at all.

Thing is, if AC wants to play he knows he has to leave Montreal to do it  I think he would. So, that would be an interesting scenario if he was available. 

I really think Montreal has moved on from AC. They weren't winning with him & are beginning to win without him. He may be better playing for an expansion team providing stability & mentoring guys getting ready to play when he retires then trying to play for the Als who want to win now. I just think that a team like Montreal wants a younger qb in there as the leader of their team.

I really don't know about that. They are coming off a loss to the worst team in the league. I don't think one impressive win is enough to make them ditch the most successful passer in CFL history.

Don't get me wrong, I think Calvillo is done and it's about damn time. I just don't think Montreal will cast him aside if we wants to continue playing.

At Calvillo's age and the injury he suffered this season, he should retire.  He has had an amazing career, one of the best in the CFL ever.  But he is done.    TIme catches up to all atheletes and it is sad when they can't accept that. 

I expect AC has already played his last game.  Montreal isn't going to protect AC.  Ottawa won't take him anyway.  Unless AC's brain is completely befuddled, he wouldn't go to Ottawa even if they drafted him because having an old, immobile, expensive QB behind what will be a patchwork O line is a recipe for disaster.