The 2023 Wildcard Standings Thread

Sad reality is Winnipeg is a place very few want to play, so draft and develop (and overpay early if you want to lock in long term) is the only way to build the team. On that end Cheveldayoff and the scouts have actually done a good job. Good drafts and got Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Ehlers and Connor on team-friendly contracts compared to their performance. Even Wheeler’s current deal, as a “we owe him a veteran overpay after so many years of value” contract, has not been a bad overpay until the second half of this season, and the salary cap freeze due to the pandemic helped make it worse than it would have been. But think of how many players did not want to sign long term here. Kane, Trouba, Laine, Copp, Hayes, Stastny, now Stanley and Dubois. This team will always play with one hand tied behind its back compared to the Tampa’s, Vegas’s, New York’s, LA’s, Toronto’s and Montreal’s of the world. A shake-up is absolutely needed, but those who want to blow it up and sell all the stars think it will be a quick fix - it won’t. And those same fans will be the first to gripe next year and the year after when we are a bottom feeder (and will be for about 5 years if we go full re-build) and will want to dump their season tickets. In a 32 team league, you don’t go from also-ran to Cup favourite in one summer. 

As I said before, first move is to figure out a long term extension for Hellebuyck. Everything else flows from what that contract size will be and what else it allows us to do. Second step is to figure out definitively what is happening with Dubois. Figure out your line on the sand on a long term deal dollar value, and if he says no matter what he wants to go to free agency, move him this summer. If he signs here, move Scheifele. If Dubois is gone, you are kind of forced to keep Scheifele, as you will have no top line centre otherwise (barring a centre-for-centre trade). From there, figure out the locker room culture and repair it (if Wheeler is disliked because he’s a hard ass on other players, frankly I say the entitled young’uns are the problem and not a taskmaster captain who sacrificed both testicles blocking shots and expects the same commitment from others - but I am not in the locker room so I don’t know more than any other armchair critic what the real story is). 

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Sad reality is Winnipeg is a place very few want to play, so draft and develop (and overpay early if you want to lock in long term) is the only way to build the team. On that end Cheveldayoff and the scouts have actually done a good job. Good drafts and got Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Ehlers and Connor on team-friendly contracts compared to their performance. Even Wheeler’s current deal, as a “we owe him a veteran overpay after so many years of value” contract, has not been a bad overpay until the second half of this season, and the salary cap freeze due to the pandemic helped make it worse than it would have been. But think of how many players did not want to sign long term here. Kane, Trouba, Laine, Copp, Hayes, Stastny, now Stanley and Dubois. This team will always play with one hand tied behind its back compared to the Tampa’s, Vegas’s, New York’s, LA’s, Toronto’s and Montreal’s of the world. A shake-up is absolutely needed, but those who want to blow it up and sell all the stars think it will be a quick fix - it won’t. And those same fans will be the first to gripe next year and the year after when we are a bottom feeder (and will be for about 5 years if we go full re-build) and will want to dump their season tickets. In a 32 team league, you don’t go from also-ran to Cup favourite in one summer. 

As I said before, first move is to figure out a long term extension for Hellebuyck. Everything else flows from what that contract size will be and what else it allows us to do. Second step is to figure out definitively what is happening with Dubois. Figure out your line on the sand on a long term deal dollar value, and if he says no matter what he wants to go to free agency, move him this summer. If he signs here, move Scheifele. If Dubois is gone, you are kind of forced to keep Scheifele, as you will have no top line centre otherwise (barring a centre-for-centre trade). From there, figure out the locker room culture and repair it (if Wheeler is disliked because he’s a hard ass on other players, frankly I say the entitled young’uns are the problem and not a taskmaster captain who sacrificed both testicles blocking shots and expects the same commitment from others - but I am not in the locker room so I don’t know more than any other armchair critic what the real story is). 

One of the problems as I see it is we keep drafting Americans, Euros & players from down east in Quebec. How many Western Hockey League players have we drafted? Guys that at least were born in Western Canada, know & understand this part of the country? Unless you're a grinding third line centre from Wisconsin or Minnesota you don't want to play in Winnipeg. Look at Johnny Gaudreau & Tkachuk in Calgary they didn't want to play there either. Calgary where the economy is finally coming back, the Rockies & the winter climate is better than a lot of US cities. When they became UFA's away they went. So, it's not just Winnipeg. What's making Edmonton a place for more free agents than Winnipeg? McDavid & Draisaital. It's not the climate or city. 

14 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Until Edmonton wins a cup, the jury is out on that, IMO

The climate in Edmonton is just about the same as it is in Winnipeg. Maybe Winnipeg's a bit colder in winter but does five degrees celsius make a difference when it's minus 20??? I can tell you that the winter doesn't start or end much differently in both cities. There are no mountains near Edmonton like Calgary has or lakes nearby like Winnipeg. 

I also remember my parents back in the 80's going to visit my sister & her family in Edmonton. Usually they'd drive up in late May or early June. My Dad would come back always complaining about the rainy, cold weather in Edmonton compared to Winnipeg. He hated Edmonton. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

48 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The climate in Edmonton is just about the same as it is in Winnipeg. Maybe Winnipeg's a bit colder in winter but does five degrees celsius make a difference when it's minus 20??? I can tell you that the winter doesn't start or end much differently in both cities. There are no mountains near Edmonton like Calgary has or lakes nearby like Winnipeg. 

I also remember my parents back in the 80's going to visit my sister & her family in Edmonton. Usually they'd drive up in late May or early June. My Dad would come back always complaining about the rainy, cold weather in Edmonton compared to Winnipeg. He hated Edmonton. 

And in the annual NHLPA player poll, and whenever agents are asked, Edmonton ranks just behind Winnipeg and ahead of 30 other cities for “most listed destination on my no-trade list”

Central 
MIN 93  [9]
COL 92 +2  [10] 
DAL 92  [9]

Wild Card 
SEA 88  [10]
WPG 85   [8]
Just Not Good Enuf 
CAL 81  [8]
NSH 80   [10] - Lost to TOR :)

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

One of the problems as I see it is we keep drafting Americans, Euros & players from down east in Quebec. How many Western Hockey League players have we drafted? Guys that at least were born in Western Canada, know & understand this part of the country? Unless you're a grinding third line centre from Wisconsin or Minnesota you don't want to play in Winnipeg. Look at Johnny Gaudreau & Tkachuk in Calgary they didn't want to play there either. Calgary where the economy is finally coming back, the Rockies & the winter climate is better than a lot of US cities. When they became UFA's away they went. So, it's not just Winnipeg. What's making Edmonton a place for more free agents than Winnipeg? McDavid & Draisaital. It's not the climate or city. 

Mark Stone born here, signed with Vegas - true Winnipegger :P

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Nearing the end of season and how grueling it can be on some athletes physical and mental health, I wonder how many Jets will tell us after they were playing thru a significant injury?

For arguments sake, let's say 55 is playing at 70%, is it better to sit him to have ready for potential playoffs, dress a press box guy or remain status quo and hope he breaks out of his funk even though he is only playing 70%.

Tough one. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Nearing the end of season and how grueling it can be on some athletes physical and mental health, I wonder how many Jets will tell us after they were playing thru a significant injury?

For arguments sake, let's say 55 is playing at 70%, is it better to sit him to have ready for potential playoffs, dress a press box guy or remain status quo and hope he breaks out of his funk even though he is only playing 70%.

Tough one. 

You never know maybe 55 is hurt but then why would Bowness say he needs alot more out of his top players? And then why play him 20 min? Doesn't fit, Schiefele has done this in the past so the pattern is there unfortunately. Only 55 knows why he is playing like crap...

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

At this point we either playing LA or VEGAS. I'd rather play LA. So if they are first we just need to tank a bit to WC2. If they 2nd in the West, need to up our game to WC1.

The division leaders are 1 and 2. The second place team in the Pacific will play the third place team in the Pacific, even if they have the second best record overall in the West. We will play either the top team in the Pacific or the top team in the Central. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The division leaders are 1 and 2. The second place team in the Pacific will play the third place team in the Pacific, even if they have the second best record overall in the West. We will play either the top team in the Pacific or the top team in the Central. 

Ship thats right. LA and or MIN/DAL im majorly okay with. 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Central 
MIN 95 +2 [8] Beat SEA 👍
COL 94 +2 [9] Beat ANA 👎

DAL 92  [9]
Pacific
VGK 98  [9] 🤬
Wild Card 
SEA 88  [9] Lost MIN 👍
WPG 85   [8]

CAL 81  [8]
NSH 80   [10] 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• FrostyWinnipeg changed the title to The 2023 Wildcard Standings Thread

something happened, psychologically, to this team around the Christmas break.... don't know what, but something went down. You don't just fall off a cliff like this. Would be really curious to know what the hell happened. Either way, this team isn't going anywhere...even if they fluke out a playoff spot, they're done in 4. Tough way to finish what was once a very promising season.