Game 64: San Jose - West Side Story

So I don’t like calling for trading players for extended poor play because you never know what might be underlying (like when everyone slagged Morrissey two year ago before learning he played through his dad’s cancer), but there are more than few key struggling Jets right now (Ehlers, DuBois, Pionk, Lowry stand out) and in cases of Ehlers and Dubois who have been injured and playing through it or come back slowly, at what point are these players better off sitting than playing hurt ineffectively? Best this club showed was when their Moose call-ups were in and working hard. Since the regulars returned they should be better based on talent but results are not there. Is it just attitude or is there something more, and is a 100% Gustaffson better in the lineup than a 60% DuBois?

I think possibly the Jets do not have a leader that elevates those around him.

like Jonathon Toews seemed to do. 

it almost seemed like his teammates were afraid of him a little bit. and afraid to let him down. the odd time I watched them anyway. he was grim.  intense.

Just a guess, cause the Jets have good enough players to be doing better than they are, and have done.

probly not coaching.

Edited by Mark F

12 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I think possibly the Jets do not have a leader that elevates those around him.

like Jonathon Toews seemed to do. 

I think Morrissey is TRYING to be that guy, and has shown it a few times this year..... and I feel like Lowry is close to being that guy. I used to think Scheifele might be that guy, but he's slipping in my books...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think Morrissey is TRYING to be that guy, and has shown it a few times this year..... and I feel like Lowry is close to being that guy. I used to think Scheifele might be that guy, but he's slipping in my books...

Lowry can’t be that guy because he can’t score. Sometimes the leader doesn’t just have to scare guys, he needs to say “ I am putting this team on my back and single-handedly winning this game.” A guy who scores once in 34 games is not that guy, no matter how much “character” he has. A Connor McDavid can call out his teammates for poor efforts and not producing because no one can fire back “oh yeah, what about your performance of late?” Right now the only guy on this team who can criticize others for lack of results in the past two years and not have to look in the mirror about his own play is Hellebuyck. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever