The RIP 2022 Thread

iHeart

Former Teen Idol Bobby Rydell Dies At 79

Bobby Rydell, one of the biggest teen idols in the pre-Beatles era of rock ‘n’ roll, has died just weeks before his 80th birthday.

Rydell, whose most famous songs include “Volare,” “Swinging School,” and “Wild One,” died Tuesday, according to numerous outlets.

The cause of death was pneumonia, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Rydell’s wife, Linda Hoffman, was by his side at Jefferson Hospital when he died.

Born Robert Louis Ridarelli, Rydell took to music at a young age and was performing in nightclubs in the Philly/South Jersey area when he was 7, according to Variety.  The singer's hits included “Volare,” “Swinging School,” and “Wild One," and he inspired the name of the high school in "Grease."

After changing his name, Rydell tried to make it in show business as a singer and drummer. One of his early bands, Rocco and the Saints, featured another future teen idol, Frankie Avalon, on trumpet.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

https://deadline.com/2022/04/nehemiah-persoff-dead-obituary-actor-yentl-gunsmoke-was-102-1234995573/

if you don't know him from Yentl you'll probably know him from the American Tail films (among other things...dang that song from Yentl is poignant now)

You might not recognize the name Nehemiah Persoff but he's the one referenced in the Internet ad for "This Gilligan's Island star is 102 years old."

Aww man not Gilbert Gottfreid... his take on The Aristocrats is hands down the filthiest version of the joke I've heard. He telegraphed his punchlines so you could see them coming from a mile away, yet his commitment to the delivery (if you could stand it long enough) was what made the joke funnier than it should have been.

Carrie Fischer... thank you for visiting us from the past... when the producers looked on the dais they said 'we don't have enough washed-up drug-addicted alcoholic has-beens on the stage... get me Carrie Fischer.... you KNOW she's available'. R2-D2 has had more work since Star Wars HAHAHAHA RIP funny guy

you know what's sad, after Saget passed I was starting to wonder if there were targets on the back of the people that took part in Bob Saget's Roast (considering Cloris Leachman last Winter, Norm last Fall, Bob 3 months ago.....and well, let's just say something was screaming in my gut that Gottfried was going to go next)

and for those wondering, Gilbert wasn't participating in the Masked Singer he was wishing the Hydra luck

Spoiler

and it was there I realized....that Hydra was definitely Penn and Teller since they did Hollywood Squares together....and to be honest I was ready for some Muppets to be revealed

whoa, this is what killed him?  recurrent ventricular tachycardia due to myotonic dystrophy type II

Edited by iHeart

On 2022-04-22 at 10:34 AM, Tracker said:

If memory serves, he was a compulsive chain smoker and fought lung cancer for a long time. There is a lesson here.

That lesson is different time different Era.  They all smoked then. Now they all do coke and so would I if you gave me 50 million over 7 years or less 

Edited by Goalie