Roster Moves - September 17

voodoochylde

It frustrates me to no end that this team hasn't been able to bring in an American lineman (of better quality) than those we are trotting out there right now.   I appreciate January and the level of stability he brings to the line but even when healthy, he's a journeyman at best and Boatman is nothing more than a pylon. 

I can appreciate that improving Canadian depth along the line takes time .. but to go this long with the imports we have .. it's a travesty.

What blows my mind is that Boatman is SO terrible that I'd rather start Jake Thomas in his spot and yet, he still gets trotted out there every week.

When Marcus Howard literally picked him up and carried him to the quarterback on a sack, I couldn't do anything but laugh. How does a guy perform that poorly and keep his job?

Dan Knapp

Height: 6'5"
Weight: 304 pounds

College Career: Saw action in 40 games after redshirting in 2007. Played his first three years as a tight end, catching five passes for 40 yards and a touchdown. He then converted to offensive tackle, where he started six games in 2010 before starting all 13 in 2011.

Strengths: At ASU's Pro Day, Knapp put up a phenomenal 41 reps in the bench press, which would have led all offensive linemen had he been invited to the Combine. As a former tight end, Knapp has excellent footwork and agility for a lineman, and showed off a good burst with a 4.8 second 40-yard dash time. He has added nearly 30 pounds since the end of the 2011 season, and with his agility, strength and build, projects as an interesting guard prospect with the ability to also play tackle.

Weaknesses: While he has great raw talent, he did not put it all together on the field. Having just been an offensive lineman for two seasons, Knapp is unrefined in his technique. He had many great moments, but was inconsistent in his play. Just barely over 300 pounds, he doesn't have the size of an NFL tackle, and even could be considered on the smaller side of guards, so his best bet may be with a zone blocking team. Knapp has a lot of upside, but figures to be a developmental project.

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2012/4/26/2973428/2012-nfl-draft-profile-dan-knapp

Jarvis Jones
6-7
OL

Backup offensive lineman played in five games ... had four knockdowns on 40 snaps played.

Rotated at left tackle, starting four games including the last three ... led team in knockdowns vs. Florida State, Air Force and Iowa State ... had a team single-game high of 17 knockdowns vs. Iowa State ... played a total of 426 snaps with 81 knockdowns.

All-Big 12 honorable mention by AP ... saw action in nine games before suffering a season-ending heel injury at Nebraska ... started the season opener vs. BYU at right guard before moving to starting right tackle the next five games ... saw a total of 521 snaps with 71 knockdowns ... had 12 knockdowns each against BYU, Miami and Baylor.

Redshirted while sitting out NCAA mandated year after transferring from LSU.

(At LSU) Saw action at both tackle and guard in a backup role during his freshman season ... played in seven games, including the first three games of the year ... served as the Tigers' backup left tackle behind Ciron Black and also spelled Lyle Hitt at right guard ... was in on a total of 63 plays from scrimmage ... played a season-high 18 snaps versus Louisiana Tech and registered a career-high three knockdowns and a pancake block in the victory.

High School
One of the top offensive line prospects in the state of Texas and the Southwest region ... rated the No. 10 offensive tackle in the nation by Scout.com ... a member of the Houston Chronicle Top 100 for Texas ... was a defensive end early in his career until he was moved to the offensive line after his sophomore season ... played in the inaugural Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. ... helped his team to a semifinal berth in the 2006 playoffs ... earned first team all-district honors on the offensive line after recording 54 pancake blocks and giving up no sacks as a junior ... coached by Lydell Wilson.

Personal
Full name is Jarvis Isiaha Jones ... parents are Darrell Jones and Angela Mayberry ... has one sibling, Kwanza ... sociology major.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208798988

It frustrates me to no end that this team hasn't been able to bring in an American lineman (of better quality) than those we are trotting out there right now.   I appreciate January and the level of stability he brings to the line but even when healthy, he's a journeyman at best and Boatman is nothing more than a pylon. 

I can appreciate that improving Canadian depth along the line takes time .. but to go this long with the imports we have .. it's a travesty.

It's not like the talent pool in the US is lacking either. We just needs the personnel to find them.

Great, a developmental project. Just what we need.

You were expecting a sure-fire NFLer to come in?

I guess my expectations were a little more than a bar two inches off the floor. With this team, I honestly don't know what to expect anymore. :(

Honestly, I just wish you'd do some of your own research for once before you start complaining.

Not to rag on MOAB but he posted the guy's college bio with his weight listing from 2 years ago.

Jones hasn't weighed sub-300 since he left college and is most recently listed as closer to 305. He's also had NFL tryouts and comes from one of the better offensive line programs in the NCAA. I don't know what you expect, did you think we were going to go out and sign Michael Oher off the street?

I guess my expectations were a little more than a bar two inches off the floor. With this team, I honestly don't know what to expect anymore. :(

Honestly, I just wish you'd do some of your own research for once before you start complaining.

Not to rag on MOAB but he posted the guy's college bio with his weight listing from 2 years ago.

Jones hasn't weighed sub-300 since he left college and is most recently listed as closer to 305. He's also had NFL tryouts and comes from one of the better offensive line programs in the NCAA. I don't know what you expect, did you think we were going to go out and sign Michael Oher off the street?

people are so down on our o-line and the americans that have been brought in lately that they just assume the worst because that's all we've seen. 

people are so down on our o-line and the americans that have been brought in lately that they just assume the worst because that's all we've seen. 

Exactly.... Like what am I supposed to think Mike? We've won 8 games in a season & a half? Our OL is a sieve & I'm being kind. And what will research tell me that your post on the guy's bio didn't?? Look at the scouting report. DEVELOPMENTAL PLAYER.

These two guys seem fine to me... a little confused with the Schulte catch and release - and Simmons - and Carmon... Winn...

Really wonder what actually happened with Kelly Butler, he played well and then was just jettisoned off the roster...  now Douglas seems to be chronically injured.

Two things seem really apparent:

1. First with the Taormina gong show and now Boatman's failure, combined with our continued loyalty to Sorenson, combined with the slow development of Swiston and no development of Dunn... DelMonaco is honestly the problem here.  He must have some influence over OL decisions...  it sounded like he was high on Sorenson and Kowalczuk - the guy's schemes and coaching are not working - get rid of him

2.  We need more scouting and more scouting staff - not sure who our regional guys are or if they were over-ruled by Mack... I guess we'll find out with these two new guys.

Exactly.... Like what am I supposed to think Mike? We've won 8 games in a season & a half? Our OL is a sieve & I'm being kind. And what will research tell me that your post on the guy's bio didn't?? Look at the scouting report. DEVELOPMENTAL PLAYER.

I like the part where you say it in all caps as if I missed it the first time. I also like the part where you take a 2012 NFL draft report and apply it as if it is entirely relevant a year later in a different league.

Every player who comes from the NCAA/NFL to the CFL is a developmental player to some degree. It's all about their skill set and how quickly they adapt to the CFL game.

On top of that, I also like the part where you assume that because our OL has been bad for 3 years, our NEW general manager will be unable to find quality OL players.