NFL Draft

Colin Unger

I'll be paying close attention to the Cleveland Browns in the NFL draft over the next few days. Currently Geoff Gray is a fringe roster player but that could change depending on how many offensive lineman the Browns end up drafting and where they draft them. Typically NFL teams like to carry 9 offensive lineman on the gameday roster and 2 of them tend to be young developmental guys. Geoff Gray will be in a battle to stick as one of the two developmental lineman. If healthy,  tackle Rod Johnson who the team drafted in the 5th round last year would be in line to be one of the two making the roster.  Gray would currently be competing with undrafted free agents Victor Salako and Christian Schneider for that final roster spot. No doubt they will bring in more undrafted free agents this season but the real wildcard here is the fact that the Browns are loaded with 12 picks in this year's draft. They could use a first or 2nd round pick to draft a tackle to compete for the starting job which is currently available but this would have little impact on Gray as it would likely lead to a veteran backup being beat out.  What I'm most interested to see is if they pick any offensive lineman in rounds 4 through 7 who would be very hard to release after having given them signing bonuses and have spent draft picks on them. Typically 20% of picks are used on offensive lineman in the NFL. So the way I see it they pick one in the first two rounds and then 1 or 2 later on in the draft to develop. 

In a few days we should have a much better idea of what Gray's realistic chances are of sticking with the Browns this season.  I view this season as a make or break year for him. He needs to make a roster. There's simply too much attrition going on and after failing to crack two rosters so far this could be one of the last opportunities he has to stick it out in the NFL. By next season he'll be 24 and no longer viewed as a developmental project. He'll undoubtedly start being viewed for only what he currently brings to the table. The clock is ticking. I hope he does well but deep down I would love to see him come up here and have a long career for the bombers. 

9 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I'll be paying close attention to the Cleveland Browns in the NFL draft over the next few days. Currently Geoff Gray is a fringe roster player but that could change depending on how many offensive lineman the Browns end up drafting and where they draft them. Typically NFL teams like to carry 9 offensive lineman on the gameday roster and 2 of them tend to be young developmental guys. Geoff Gray will be in a battle to stick as one of the two developmental lineman. If healthy,  tackle Rod Johnson who the team drafted in the 5th round last year would be in line to be one of the two making the roster.  Gray would currently be competing with undrafted free agents Victor Salako and Christian Schneider for that final roster spot. No doubt they will bring in more undrafted free agents this season but the real wildcard here is the fact that the Browns are loaded with 12 picks in this year's draft. They could use a first or 2nd round pick to draft a tackle to compete for the starting job which is currently available but this would have little impact on Gray as it would likely lead to a veteran backup being beat out.  What I'm most interested to see is if they pick any offensive lineman in rounds 4 through 7 who would be very hard to release after having given them signing bonuses and have spent draft picks on them. Typically 20% of picks are used on offensive lineman in the NFL. So the way I see it they pick one in the first two rounds and then 1 or 2 later on in the draft to develop. 

In a few days we should have a much better idea of what Gray's realistic chances are of sticking with the Browns this season.  I view this season as a make or break year for him. He needs to make a roster. There's simply too much attrition going on and after failing to crack two rosters so far this could be one of the last opportunities he has to stick it out in the NFL. By next season he'll be 24 and no longer viewed as a developmental project. He'll undoubtedly start being viewed for only what he currently brings to the table. The clock is ticking. I hope he does well but deep down I would love to see him come up here and have a long career for the bombers. 

I heard the Browns were going to use all their picks on quarterbacks.

18 hours ago, Brandon said:

Wow the Browns passed on Barkley... baaaaaaaaad move

I was more surprised they passed on Chubb at #4 than barley at 1....   runningbacks are not nearly as valued in the nfl at qbs these days and they were able to pick the quarterback they wanted.  They filled a positional need at 4 picking cornerback ward. They perhaps should have traded down but with 12 picks they were probably better off just making sure they filled their positional need at corner.   It’s rally irritating that they now take 3 days to do the draft.   

17 hours ago, Goalie said:

I like Baker Mayfield. Hes got fire.. Hes a leader and a good QB.. Browns OL coach is Bob Wylie so they should be better. Id have taken Mayfield 1st overall also. Hes a stud. Hes gonna be a star if they let him develop properly and dont rush him. 

Me too. I really like what the Bills did too.  Allen could end up being the best qb in the group.  

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Wow the Browns passed on Barkley... baaaaaaaaad move

Im not a fan. I think he plays far too upright.  He may well be a good back for a few years. I cant see him being a franchise back in terms of quality of play or longevity.  Sure this draft had no sure fire no1 pick. But imo a big back who plays like a small back isnt some thing you take in the top 5-10 short of a horrible draft year. 

20 hours ago, Goalie said:

I like Baker Mayfield. Hes got fire.. Hes a leader and a good QB.. Browns OL coach is Bob Wylie so they should be better. Id have taken Mayfield 1st overall also. Hes a stud. Hes gonna be a star if they let him develop properly and dont rush him. 

I like mayfield too. I think he is the 3rd best qb prospect in the draft though. Im not as much worried about his size, as I am about him playing in front of a team fielded by the browns. Dude is gonna get rocked, and imop doesnt deal with getting hit/pressured frequently very well. 

In many cases I think its ok to put a rookie qb in as starter right away. BUT you gotta have atleast 1 wr who can make plays for him, a decent running game to take pressure off him and a OL that will take a drive killing penalty before letting him get smashed. I dont think the browns have all that. I hope he sits too. I love the fire in his gut. 

I had rosen and allen  as better players/prospects im also not a fan of darnold at all.  I dont think he is fast enough to frequently beat pressure at the nfl level, or good enough to operate with in the lines of a system. I think he has been hit far too much already and doesnt protect the ball for stink. A running qb who loses a lot of fumbles and throws a lot of pics is a recipe for disaster. His delivery is soo bloody slow and janky I dont think he can beat the rush with his release at all either. If he and allen switched schools and production, allen would go no1 and darnold would have gone in the 5th round. 

3 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I was more surprised they passed on Chubb at #4 than barley at 1....   runningbacks are not nearly as valued in the nfl at qbs these days and they were able to pick the quarterback they wanted.  They filled a positional need at 4 picking cornerback ward. They perhaps should have traded down but with 12 picks they were probably better off just making sure they filled their positional need at corner.   It’s rally irritating that they now take 3 days to do the draft.   

Agree about Rbs.  To be a top 3 pick as a rb you gotta be special these days. And complete.  totally think the browns should have traded down too.  Baseball uses 3 days to get through 50 rounds.  But then the nba spends 10 hours to do one round. Idk id like to see drafts become much quicker paced and then just have a long post show to talk about pics. 

30 minutes ago, tracker said:

What is this doing in the Bomber's Section?

because GD is where talk goes to die :P 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Jake Allen is going to be a bust. Lamar Jackson will be the best QB in this draft when it's all said and done.

:lol: I think it would have been solid for a win this year move, if the browns traded down for him and went with an old vick type offensive game plan. 

Id take allen over any other qb in this draft.  Idk if any one of the qbs are good enough to be a real bust this year.  if its any one imo its darnold. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:45 PM, wbbfan said:

because GD is where talk goes to die :P 

:lol: I think it would have been solid for a win this year move, if the browns traded down for him and went with an old vick type offensive game plan. 

Id take allen over any other qb in this draft.  Idk if any one of the qbs are good enough to be a real bust this year.  if its any one imo its darnold. 

Allen has the most upside IMO.  And playing for the Bills should work out well. They have a dominant run game and are used to not asking much from their quarterback. They can simplify the passing game for him early on as he works on his accuracy and understanding of the game. Just having him back there might help as the safeties wouldn't be able to cheat with an arm like that. 

----------------------------------

So the Browns ended up drafted just one an offensive lineman. The chances of Gray cracking the lineup is pretty decent. I'm sure they will sign some priority free agents.  Can't we just call in a favor to Bob Wylie.  Get him to guy Gray and make public comments about how he doesn't have the right stuff to play in the NFL :).      Geoff Gray if you're reading this JKJK

The Cleveland Browns have already signed 4 undrafted offensive lineman. One is just a tryout contract though but the other three are priority free agents.

OT Desmond Harrison - West Georgia - 6-6, 292 lbs.

OL Erick Wren - Oklahoma - 6-2, 308 lbs.

OL Christian DiLauro - Illinois - 6-5, 300 lbs.

C Freddie Burden - Georgia Tech - 6-3, 302 lbs. TRYOUT*