Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Lol. No he hasnt. Hes just not good with laine and ehlers and neither was Stas in the playoffs. Little is 2 years younger than Stastny. Man ppl overrate Stastny big time

Sorry...Little did nothing in the playoffs when Stastny was a force. Can't blame Ethlers and Laine on him..they were experiencing the playoffs for the first time.That line with Stastny was 100 % better with him on it than Little.

the gimmick of being so knowledgeable as to take the opposite opinion on common ideas is sort of funny.  But Little is younger and a valued member of the team.  Its unlikely the Jets would trade him right before his new contract kicks in.  They signed him, he committed.  Not the Jets style.

But Stastny has more offensive upside, adds more to the PP and is better on face offs.  If it was a choice between Stastny and Little, I think they Jets would choose Paul.  But its not an either/or situation.  Jets are unlikely to sign Stastny and if they dont, they are still a very good team.  If they are able to, great.  The fact they want to, and he flies in the face of their youth oriented mantra tells you how much they value him.

No one has rated Stastny above his skill set in my opinion so no, he isnt over-rated. lol

In the last 4 seasons little has scored more goals than stastny.. He has more points than Stastny in the regular season also. Stastny was making 7 million.. Little was making 5.5 ish... 

Little is younger... He is actually better than Stastny..  Hes just the whipping boy recently... 

How much do u give the soon to be 33 year old Stastny and how long? 

Cuz the cap crunch is real next season. 

Little has more points than Stastny the last 4 seasons.. So i dont get how Stastny has more offensive upside

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

In the last 4 seasons little has scored more goals than stastny.. He has more points than Stastny in the regular season also. Stastny was making 7 million.. Little was making 5.5 ish... 

Little is younger... He is actually better than Stastny..  Hes just the whipping boy recently... 

How much do u give the soon to be 33 year old Stastny and how long? 

Cuz the cap crunch is real next season. 

Little has more points than Stastny the last 4 seasons.. So i dont get how Stastny has more offensive upside

Stastny had 15 points in the play offs... Little had 6.

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Stastny had 15 points in the play offs... Little had 6.

So what.. Thats a tiny sample size... 

Stas was also on the PP 1 with scheif wheeler laine buff . 

U gonna use 15 games or so instead of 4 years? Oook. 

So how much u give him then cuz he is Brian Little pretty much but.. A couple years older

5? 6? 7? Million? A year? .

So then next year when u gotta sign Connor laine Wheeler who do u get rid of? 

Keep the soon to be 33 year old and u gotta move out Wheeler then or one of the kids you developed since the cap is real

Edited by Goalie

Stastny had more points last season than Little and way more in the playoffs.  They are very comparable points-wise over the last few years but Little.  In the small sample size we have, Statsny seemed to perform better with Laine and Ehlers.  But who knows what happens over a full season.

But if they are very comparable, I dont see how someone can get upset about fans saying one is better than the other.  To imply Paul sucks to try and push a false narrative of Little being so much better, just doesnt make sense. 

Same with implying Paul is basically 33 when they are two years apart.  You cant round up one and round down the other to make a point.  Thats not a fair comparison.

the fair comparison is, they are very comparable points wise.  Little has trended down...is that a one year blip?  Who knows.  I dont want to trade Little and I'd be reluctant to do so to keep Statsny.  But if we can keep Statsny, all the better.

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So what.. Thats a tiny sample size... 

Stas was also on the PP 1 with scheif wheeler laine buff . 

U gonna use 15 games or so instead of 4 years? Oook. 

So how much u give him then cuz he is Brian Little pretty much but.. A couple years older

5? 6? 7? Million? A year? .

So then next year when u gotta sign Connor laine Wheeler who do u get rid of? 

We're not the GM.  No one has advocated giving Paul $7 million. 

But you're right the playoffs were a small sample size.  So why wasnt Little playing in Statsny's spot?  Cause he's so much better

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

We're not the GM.  No one has advocated giving Paul $7 million. 

But you're right the playoffs were a small sample size.  So why wasnt Little playing in Statsny's spot?  Cause he's so much better

Why is this Little vs Stastny. Its not.. Its salary cap vs Stastny

14 hours ago, Goalie said:

Lol. No he hasnt. Hes just not good with laine and ehlers and neither was Stas in the playoffs. Little is 2 years younger than Stastny. Man ppl overrate Stastny big time

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Why is this Little vs Stastny. Its not.. Its salary cap vs Stastny

You're making the Little vs Stastny argument too.  I clearly said I'd prefer to have both and would not trade Little just to sign Paul.

No. Im not. The other guy did. 

This isnt Little vs Stastny.. This is Salary cap vs Stastny.. 

U need to move money out to keep Stastny.. Id love to keep him on a 1 year or 2 year deal but we all know some desperate team who doesnt get Tavares is gonna massively overpay for him. Jets cant compete with that. 

Yes, we've discussed that.  But you can't insist everyone stop discussing the Jets because you think its pointless.  let people discuss. 

As I said earlier, the Jets are unlikely to keep him.  Of the teams seriously interested in the vastly over-rated Stastny, he will be offered more money and more term than the Jets can offer.  But the Jets have something the majority of teams dont...a better chance to compete for a cup. 

Unless Paul just wants to cash in (and if he does, so be it, who can blame him), why would he want to go to Montreal? 

Couldnt remember if we had a BellMTS Place construction/renovation thread.

http://www.bellmtsplace.ca/box-office-information/

The Bell MTS Place atrium will be closed from June 26-July 27 for renovations to the atrium and the Main Box Office. Please visit the South Box Office located on the Skywalk Level Cityplace Bridge (over Graham Avenue) during this time. The South Box Office will be open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturdays (closed Sundays, and July 2, in recognition of Canada Day) while the Main Box Office is closed. The regular hours for both the Main and South Box Office locations will resume July 28, as per below.

Is this the extent of the Jets' renos this year (cant recall if they finished most of the renos last season as part of their multi-year upgrade plan).

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why can't they have both.... 

Maybe they can front load a contract  and cut salary by dumping  Mason,  Perreault,  Myers.      If the Jets saw no possible way of bringing back Stastny then they wouldn't of made it public that they want him back. 

I agree.  I suspect the Jets have made their offer to the player and the player is interested (lots of chatter from respected sources on that) but is doing due diligence in listening to other offers.  he will then weigh those offers based on what is important to him and his family.  Thats why I think its unlikely the Jets get him, just the law of averages in terms of being one of six offers.  But we have the advantage of being the devil he knows (and he said his family liked the city).

I dont know if he's a money guy.  Maybe he'd take the best offer to play on the worst team.  Maybe winning means more and he'd leave a year or a million on the table to play with a winner.  We'll find out pretty quickly on Sunday I imagine.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I like Stastny but I think a team(like MTL) is gonna throw 6 at him and he's gone.

Good news for Lowry if Stastny goes.

From what I heard on the radio from Pierre LeBrun and everything I read it isn't all about money for Stastny.    He wants best fit and/or best chance at winning.    Montreal would really have to over pay to get him since the team is in a complete crap hole.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

From what I heard on the radio from Pierre LeBrun and everything I read it isn't all about money for Stastny.    He wants best fit and/or best chance at winning.    Montreal would really have to over pay to get him since the team is in a complete crap hole.

Then Ottawa is contending for Stastny?

31 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The talk when we got him was he was 100% going back to St Louis because of his family.  then he said his family enjoyed Winnipeg. So...who knows.  Family reasons can change when millions of dollars are at stake.  But if money doesnt matter, and for him he's a multi-millionaire, does winning/being happy mean more?  Probably...but finding that balance is key.  Winning and happiness might replace *some* money but not all of it.  If someone offers him stupid money, he might have to take it.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes, we've discussed that.  But you can't insist everyone stop discussing the Jets because you think its pointless.  let people discuss. 

As I said earlier, the Jets are unlikely to keep him.  Of the teams seriously interested in the vastly over-rated Stastny, he will be offered more money and more term than the Jets can offer.  But the Jets have something the majority of teams dont...a better chance to compete for a cup. 

Unless Paul just wants to cash in (and if he does, so be it, who can blame him), why would he want to go to Montreal? 

Rich coming from a wrestling and politics expert.