CFL No Contact Practices Good Or Bad For League?

USABomberfan

CFL No Contact Practices Good Or Bad For League?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is This New Rule Good Or Bad?

I don't necessarily agree with all Walby say's but have to agree somewhat. If anything it may lead to technique erosion and sloppy play, which in turn could lead to other injuries and yes more nagging soreness, bumps and bruises and discomfort...cause yes the body does get acclimated to the hits and pounding and any extended time off always takes a few games to get back to whee you need to be physically and mentally...

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't necessarily agree with all Walby say's but have to agree somewhat. If anything it may lead to technique erosion and sloppy play, which in turn could lead to other injuries and yes more nagging soreness, bumps and bruises and discomfort...cause yes the body does get acclimated to the hits and pounding and any extended time off always takes a few games to get back to whee you need to be physically and mentally...

I do worry about the first part but wouldn't the second part be the opposite?  Wouldn't there be less nagging soreness and discomfort by getting that extra time to let them heal and "toughen" up a bit?  bruises that are constantly hit (and joints that are constantly being torqued for that matter) tend to stay painful in my experience anyway.    I do realize that other spots like stomach, chest, big muscle groups would lose some of their built up toughness so to speak tho as well..

lots of variables to consider in this move.. I have to assume it wasn't taken lightly and discussed lightly.  

hard to explain...it's just the body conditioning to take a pounding....I'm just drawing off experience as well and what I found and experienced...opening off season, after a bye...or a prolonged absence due to injury or being scratched...was always tough getting back into "game condition"...is that a way to term it..as opposed to game shape in an aerobic capacity

22 hours ago, Bob the Bomber said:

30 perfect tackles in practice don't equal 30 perfect practices in a game.  

The game is evolving and tackling needs to be apart of the evolution.  Look at Rugby and how there is a move towards the rugby style of tackling  (grabbing the player and rolling with them) in football instead of the traditional football style (hitting them hard and knocking them down).   This is being taught at entry level club football today.   I am in favor of the change.

The traditional approach is the wrap up. The bust guys up approach came much later. I don't have proof but in the far past players were much smaller and did not generate as large of collisions.  Also before highlight packages glorified "monstrous hits" the super hard hit was less prevalent. 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

fair enough... but you have been around long enough to know who the "jokers" are (no offense @mbrg) and who is making a legitimate argument... that was very clearly a joke...

I came here to get riled up, and riled up I will get!

Now the jomment* has root in a point - that it's the old-school types who will be outraged by this.  So far that point seems pretty spot on.

*Joking comment - trademark pending

Surprising and good decision by the league. Long time in coming. Contact in practice isn't going to necessarily translate into a game. As mentioned by Milt one should know how to properly deal with contact whether being hit or doing the hitting before getting to the professional level. This drastically reduces the further chances of injuries and protects players from unnecessary contact injuries. Contact doesn't do anything to improve a player's stamina and conditioning all of that can come without contact. You don't need contact to practice running plays and teaching defenses and offenses.  If it is not needed then why have it. Once a week is more than enough contact for one week.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/09/13/cfl-cflpa-work-together-deliver-significant-advances-player-safety/

“Removing full contact from practices is going to not only positively affect the CFL and its players but will send a signal to all sports across all levels that player safety must continue to be improved.  Just as full contact tackling was removed in practice years ago as a safety measure, this change will also reduce the risk of injuries, resulting in healthier players and a better game.” said Jeff Keeping, President of the CFLPA.

4 hours ago, mbrg said:

Now the jomment* has root in a point - that it's the old-school types who will be outraged by this.  So far that point seems pretty spot on.

No one is riled up. No one is outraged. We just have differing points of view. I guess you're just different.  Since you keep bringing up age here, this is for you. I'll gladly put on my old man's pants. You can wear pull up diapers as you're a big kid now. CQtQPeYW8AAdRto.jpg

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 9/15/2017 at 12:13 PM, mbrg said:

to clarify... I think that you contribute here as far more than a just "joker"... but you're also one to provide a humdinger every now and then... which I appreciate...