Game 30 : NY Post @ Winnipeg Sun

What is his position? RW or LW? He sucks at both. No way in hell should he be in the top 6....guy is a liability at RW never mind LW.

The way Maurice was talking about Copp and Tanev, I think he keeps those two together on the same line.

The bottom line is we were about 75 seconds away from taking on of the best teams in the league to OT. That's not so bad is it? Especially losing it on a penalty. I know they have some serious injuries but so do we. If Staf infection doesn't take that penalty, chances are we take at least a point out of that game.

I thought Hutch played well. I wonder if we see him on the weekend?

Well, Stafford does suck but he sucks less at RW, it's his preferred side, Mo has him playing LW tho so yeah he's struggling, it's really not about what side he plays tho, it's his lack of effort, he's a floater, irrelevant what side he is on. 

But Ducky, stafford did take a penalty, in the O zone at that... 100 plus feet away from Hutch... We have seen it many many times in the past also, dumb penalties, avoidable penalties really, LAZY penalties really at the worst time possible. It's a problem and something that has happened over and over and over and over and over and over during Maurices tenure with the Jets. 

Hutch was very good and will definitely play, my guess? against Edmonton. 

Here's the rub regarding Drew Stafford:  His salary is very well in line with others in a similar situation.  Signed at 29 years old for 2 years at $8.7M total. 20 goals as recently as last season, and 4 seasons of such during his career. Let's not pretend this guy is a bum...

So, to me, if it's a "should Stafford be on this team" conversation - it's a no brainer. We're better with him on the roster than not. 

If it's a "he's a bottom 6 guy now, not top 6, and NO pp time" convo - then I'm supportive of the anti-Drew sentiment. 

If Drew Stafford wasn't in this organization tomorrow I GUARANTEE fans would be up in arms about how little of the cap we've spent. 

You want MORE youth and more youth only replacing him?  You figure there's a better 29 yr old FW with his pedigree who'd sign here for 2 years?  I think not.

Im usually positive on Stafford.  But he's a niche player.  He has to score to be effective.  He's not going to move down to the 3rd line and be effective.  So if he isnt scoring and worse, if he's a liability, then he's not helping us.  He might be the perfect type of player for a budget team that can justify the salary to get over the cap floor and add a veteran.  We dont need his veteran presence and he's not scoring.  Worse, he's hurting right now.  Lets hope he gets it together.

That being said, its his last year so I dont care about his contract.  But if he cant contribute to the team and someone else wants him, trade him.

We debated this but if Armia was healthy right now, I'd switch him with Stafford.  Even though Stafford wont be effective on the 3rd line, Armia's possession abilities, playmaking and hustle would be more effective on the second line than Stafford is right now.   I might even consider moving Dano there to be honest.  But again, Stafford ends up in a worse position.

Yup, get rid of him and replace him with Armia or Petan or Matthias or Dano or ???

I honestly don't care if we sent him down or lost him on waivers....no need for him on this team. Also, it wouldn't look good for Chevy to have his 4.35m and Pavs' 3.9m and Peluso's 675k on the farm would it?

39 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I've said for years it seems like half his goals are uber easy with the goalie off to one side practically making them empty netters. Heck the one goal this year he got should never have gone in.

Whats our line up now?

If a player is always in position to score open net goals, he must be doing something right.

He is dragging down his linemates and killing plays. I actually expected a banner year out of him this year because it is the last of his deal but I hoped it would be elsewhere. He has averaged about 17 1/2 goals a season. I think Matthias, Dano, Armia and even possibly Petan and Copp could get 17 goals if played on the lines Staf has played on... Tanev might get 17 playing with the talent Staf has...

22 hours ago, Goalie said:

You see the Rangers PK last night? quick and very very aggressive, on the Jets immediately. You see ours? Yeah, thats why  our PK sucks. 

We just basically sit back and let them shoot at will. No aggressiveness at all. 

Exactly, not only that we allow their D to move in from the point.

Our PK plays a passive box scheme by collapsing in on the shooting lanes. Give them nothing to shoot at, in theory.

Personally I hate it, I always have.

Put Tanev/Little on the PK and let him run around like a waterbugs disrupting any set up by the opposition. Then when their tired, put Ehlers/Laine on.

47 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Exactly, not only that we allow their D to move in from the point.

Our PK plays a passive box scheme by collapsing in on the shooting lanes. Give them nothing to shoot at, in theory.

Personally I hate it, I always have.

Put Tanev/Little on the PK and let him run around like a waterbugs disrupting any set up by the opposition. Then when their tired, put Ehlers/Laine on.

Totally agree...  I thought Copp was brilliant on PK last year - think I'd look at Copp/Wheeler as the second pairing...

Instead Thorburn seems to be getting legit PK minutes...

I actually just see this team getting worse as vets recover... Matthias will be inserted at someone's expense soon - and it won't be Thorburn