Quarterback Quest

BigBlue

20 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

kinda bummed about Bennet, but can understand why he would go to Riders, at worst he's fighting for the #2 with a legit shot at getting starting time. Not sure that will be the case here, I don't see how the bombers don't sign Nichols and Glenn.

I am totally bummed out losing Bennett ... thought he was part of our future and about ready to step up some this year .... I guess management didn't think enough of to even put him on the IR or 46

35 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I am totally bummed out losing Bennett ... thought he was part of our future and about ready to step up some this year .... I guess management didn't think enough of to even put him on the IR or 46

He was going to be a free agent (like all our QB's) so maybe it was apparent to the club that he wasn't going to be re-signing.   Having him on the active roster would have meant one less spot for someone who was actually coming back. 

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He was going to be a free agent (like all our QB's) so maybe it was apparent to the club that he wasn't going to be re-signing.   Having him on the active roster would have meant one less spot for someone who was actually coming back. 

Not if you put that extra player on the one game IR .... no cost to that at all and I believe its unlimited in day to day practice .... management was not high on Bennett or they blundered

But if they already knew he wasn't coming back, why bother?  

It could very well be that the club wasn't sold on him but he could have been looking for a better chance to play.  He was the number 4 qb here and didn't come close to seeing the field.  He probably has a much better shot in Regina.

25 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

But if they already knew he wasn't coming back, why bother?  

It could very well be that the club wasn't sold on him but he could have been looking for a better chance to play.  He was the number 4 qb here and didn't come close to seeing the field.  He probably has a much better shot in Regina.

He wouldn't be the first player that felt disgruntled sitting on the P.R.  I imagine Walters knew this could happen and may have tried to convince him to hang in there for another season by moving him to the I.R. before the season ended with his consent.  Perhaps Bennett wanted to roll the dice in F.A., so Walters left him exposed.

Another possibility is that Bennett was let go to help out with the salary cap.  A young-gun QB is probably making decent coin even while sitting on the P.R. so perhaps he became an unjustified expense and they didn't see him progressing beyond Davis.  With the current group, I'd have no problem employing 3 QB's instead of 4.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Another possibility is that Bennett was let go to help out with the salary cap.  A young-gun QB is probably making decent coin even while sitting on the P.R. so perhaps he became an unjustified expense and they didn't see him progressing beyond Davis.  With the current group, I'd have no problem employing 3 QB's instead of 4.

I can't imagine there's any way this was related to the salary he was making. It's not like he was a bigger name than any other young qb that comes into the league.

Going into next season with only three qbs seems like a terrible idea.

11 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I can't imagine there's any way this was related to the salary he was making. It's not like he was a bigger name than any other young qb that comes into the league.

Going into next season with only three qbs seems like a terrible idea.

I thought that we have zero QB's signed as of today though?

Right now, we're at zero, neither negative nor positive in regards to our QB position. Many would say that puts us ahead of where we were just two short years ago.

I cannot recall any time or any team not having any QBs signed.

But it's not like this condition came upon us without deliberation. Something's up with the boys and it involves the direction this club is going forward in. 

Talks are under way and when one domino falls, that will cause a chain reaction. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of soon to be names under consideration as well as currently signed QBs. 

Names like Durant and Nichols and Glenn and M Bethel-Thompson and even Franklin.

Whirlwinds are twirling and with all the free agents about to be sprung on each team...we'll be in for a delicious ride this off season.

20 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Your PR players immediately become FAs after your last game... so unless they re-signed Bennett right away, he was a FA... also, I'm pretty sure all PR players make the same amount... can anyone confirm that?

On 11/28/2016 at 7:53 PM, tracker said:

Put away the Ambien. Bennett is a goner with hardly a ripple.

You know i woke up in a cold sweat, but it was just that nightmare in which we sign hank. /shudder. 

Im more interested in mcleod bethel thompson and seeing him in a Training camp. Qbs with nasty holes in the field where they cant get the ball dont excite me. 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Your PR players immediately become FAs after your last game... so unless they re-signed Bennett right away, he was a FA... also, I'm pretty sure all PR players make the same amount... can anyone confirm that?

No, they can pay each PR player whatever they choose to above the minimum.  If they were pursuing Bennett for a few years previously they may have had to make him a few financial promises to convince him to come up to the CFL in the first place.  If he was just an unknown scrub that caught on at a try-out camp that would be a different matter.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

You know i woke up in a cold sweat, but it was just that nightmare in which we sign hank. /shudder. 

Im more interested in mcleod bethel thompson and seeing him in a Training camp. Qbs with nasty holes in the field where they cant get the ball dont excite me. 

Wasn't bethel Thompson released from the PR a month or so ago now?