Herb Gray Next Ring of Honour Inductee

Rich

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/10/03/herb-gray-to-be-inducted-into-ring-of-honour/

WINNIPEG, MB., October 3, 2016 –   The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce Herb Gray as the eighth inductee to the Ring of Honour presented by the Insurance Brokers of Manitoba (IBAM) at Investors Group Field.

Gray spent 10 years as a Blue Bomber and was team captain for nine. Drafted by the Baltimore Colts in 1956, Gray opted to sign with the Blue Bombers and went on to be named a West Division All-Star defensive end six times and once more as guard.

In 1960, Gray was named the CFL’s top lineman, becoming the first defensive player to capture that honour. He was also named the Bombers’ top defensive player of their first half century of existence in 1980, and was inducted into the University of Texas Hall of Honor (1983), the Winnipeg Football Hall of Fame (1984) and the the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame (1995).

“While Herb Gray has many accolades to his name, spending nine seasons as team captain may be what speaks the most to his character and value to the football club,” said President & CEO Wade Miller. “We are thrilled to be able to add his name to the seven Canadian football legends in the Ring of Honour.”

This season’s inductees will be recognized with an unveiling ceremony at each regular season home game. Each following year, one more alumni will be added to the Blue Bombers Ring of Honour.

10 hours ago, iso_55 said:

herb was a great player. Well deserved. A big part of the 4 GCs

Very definitely....Herb was a lot like Grant....easy going and talented....and a huge force on the field....Sure boggles my mind today that we paid him more than what he could get in the nfl...The guy loved it here...I wish we had more of those types in the league today.

38 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Very definitely....Herb was a lot like Grant....easy going and talented....and a huge force on the field....Sure boggles my mind today that we paid him more than what he could get in the nfl...The guy loved it here...I wish we had more of those types in the league today.

A lot of guys do love it here... but if they could play somewhere they hate for 10x the money... they'd probably be there in a heartbeat...

I like this one b/c it gives the younger folks a chance to learn about the players of yesteryear...