Does A Blowout Over Toronto Next Week Earn MOS An Extension?

Noeller

Also the offense in the 2nd half last night looked identical to when Willy was there, the common denominator of course is that it was 2 americans on the OL rather than 3. Why is it so hard for people to understand that it's never just one thing, it's all connected. Willy takes hits for years and gets injured and then faces more pressure and the run game doesn't work and his confidence goes out the window. New qb comes in with better OL and a better run game and takes less hits and looks better as a result. Willy is going to play again this year, whether it is a result of Nichols getting hurt or him struggling at some point it's going to happen, I suspect we will see a different Willy after that break. 

3 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Based on the wording of this post, you seem to take as much if not more joy in Willy failing than the Bombers winning. You even mention it first before the fact the team is winning. Again this logic drives me nuts.

If Nichols were to be injured next game and Willy comes in and rides the wave of momentum we have right now and plays well, will you be as satisfied or will that damper the excitement?

Willy may not be a world beater but he hardly seems like the kind of player you would actively wish failure upon ON YOUR OWN TEAM. Save the vitriol for domestic abusers like Rainey in BC or when Greg Hardy ends up playing in Sask.

My excitement wouldn't be dampened by one bit if Willy was back in at #1 and was helping us win games. Not a bit. I like to win, I like when my team wins, and losing sucks. Period. That's why I'm glad Willy is the backup  .. he isn't a winner. And history shows that. You're also creating a strawman there for me, suggesting I want the team to lose because of Willy. Untrue.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Also the offense in the 2nd half last night looked identical to when Willy was there, the common denominator of course is that it was 2 americans on the OL rather than 3. Why is it so hard for people to understand that it's never just one thing, it's all connected. Willy takes hits for years and gets injured and then faces more pressure and the run game doesn't work and his confidence goes out the window. New qb comes in with better OL and a better run game and takes less hits and looks better as a result. Willy is going to play again this year, whether it is a result of Nichols getting hurt or him struggling at some point it's going to happen, I suspect we will see a different Willy after that break. 

I don't think so. The difference in the second half was our passive play calling. We were running the ball, Hamilton was stacking the box. You don't have to keep the defense honest when you know Lapo is just trying to run down the clock. If we were more aggressive with our play calling Hamilton wouldn't stack the line, we'd still shred their secondary and Harris would have more room to run. 

2 minutes ago, White Out said:

My excitement wouldn't be dampened by one bit if Willy was back in at #1 and was helping us win games. Not a bit. I like to win, I like when my team wins, and losing sucks. Period. That's why I'm glad Willy is the backup  .. he isn't a winner. And history shows that. You're also creating a strawman there for me, suggesting I want the team to lose because of Willy. Untrue.

Not suggesting you are actively wanting the team to lose because of Willy, more so genuinely interested to see what the priority was. You mentioned that you were happy Willy was exposed.

Willy has started under 30 games in his career, that equates to less than 2 full seasons. He has shown flashes but injuries have derailed his career. Nichols has had similar opportunities in Edmonton with similar results and the talent he had to work with in Edmonton eclipses what Willy had here by a mile.

I think Nichols should be the starter here until his play warrants otherwise, but to say Willy isn't a winner based on 30 games is premature. Who was Willy throwing to compared to the rest of the league? How about his o-line play? It's generally accepted that both those issues have dogged this team since Willy got here, doesn't that affect the bottom line?

Most, if not all of us were ecstatic when Willy signed and played his first 6 games, but he has not come close to equaling those performances since, even when healthy. By the mid-point of last season, there were a lot of concerns about Willy's mental toughness, and those concerns resurfaced this year. I do not wish ill for him, but its as simple as this: he is not what the team needs and the team and most fans have known this for a while. He might do better in Hamilton instead of Masoli and maybe Kent Austin has the time and patience to spoon-feed him.

Edited by tracker

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I don't think so. The difference in the second half was our passive play calling. We were running the ball, Hamilton was stacking the box. You don't have to keep the defense honest when you know Lapo is just trying to run down the clock. If we were more aggressive with our play calling Hamilton wouldn't stack the line, we'd still shred their secondary and Harris would have more room to run. 

We actually ran more in the first half than we did the second (11 designed running plays to 10 - 9 if you count a Nichols scramble).  The difference is that we had markedly better starting field position and ran more offensive plays overall in the first.  We simply kept Hamilton off the field.   In the second half, we *were* more productive on first down .. we simply failed to convert and, as I alluded to earlier, ran almost 50% fewer plays in the second half of the game.

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Said it in a couple threads... seems appropriate here also. At one point, it was 21-0 and the bombers 0 had 92 total yards. 

Field position was ridiculous. 

Yep. If you start at the Hamilton 30 you can't fault the O for not marching on a 90 yard drive.

Take it when you can, we don't play Masoli every week.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Said it in a couple threads... seems appropriate here also. At one point, it was 21-0 and the bombers 0 had 92 total yards. 

Field position was ridiculous. 

But the difference was we actually took advantage of the field position.Good teams do that. I'm usually very critical of the Blue but in my mind they dominated and stuck it to hammy where in the past we might of only come out with Fgs. That's 2 games against Hammy that the turnovers were slanted heavily in our favor good reason for it.We are the better team.With Collaros in  though we will have to wait and see.☺ If MOS gets us in the playoffs I think yes he gets an extension for sure.

Edited by bb1