Everything posted by Jesse
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
Behar is exactly the kind of player that everyone is demanding we cut from our roster. He's older, been dealing with injuries, isn't as effective when he is healthy.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
Everyone gets the extra money in their budget, so it doesn't help anyone sign their FA's. Everyone is still in a bidding war for those who want to go to FA.
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
That was because they didn’t have their ownership settled and weren’t approved for FA spending last year.
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
I’m still sticking to my Montreal guess.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
Because every team gets the same benefit. It benefits the player in question, who probably would get a pay bump in that scenario. It may benefit the league by perhaps getting players who may not otherwise come up north without the aforementioned pay bump. But in the case of a player who has massively outperformed his rookie deal and needs a significant bump, it doesn’t help. Especially when we have two players who have done so. We could sign Schoen if we wanted - we’re choosing not to right now, because it would be too much invested in one position group. The concept would never be considered by the league.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
The first thing you mentioned (and have brought up many times) is that the salary cap isn't high enough. But if all of this is to figure out a way we should be able to keep Schoen; neither the salary cap or your proposed Marquis player rule have anything to with Dalton Schoen.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
That happens regardless of how much the cap is though.
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
Definitely seems like they should have settled this before FA then (unless the teams already know any incoming changes).
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
How? Even if we could double the cap, everyone’s wages go up (great for players) and you still end up against the cap and losing players. A “marquee” player is the same thing. One guy gets more money (good for him), but how does that help you keep your players?
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
It can’t hamper teams if all teams have the same cap. Even if the cap is doubled and salaries increase, you’re still going to see players leave via free agency.
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
I don't know about being cheaper, but if we could not waste the roster spot on multiple guys that'd be great. Though, how many globals do we need to roster?
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
Toronto making moves in other areas? Didn’t want to pay up for a kicker?
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
For sure, still going to see guys look at all their offers (if any) and accept what Walters has out there.
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
There's something like 9 starters unsigned. I know some of them include people that a lot of you want to see replaced, but having that many new players come in at ones is goin to have some detrimental effects on this team. TC is going to be crazy.
-
2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News
I hope so; getting pretty stressed out about all this.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
I never expected to keep Schoen. I just can’t see a way to make it make sense with Lawler here. But it’s still hard for me to believe that someone is going to offer Brady so much more than we are that it’s worth it for him to leave.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
I know, I'm simply emphasizing my point at how little I'm interested in Betts. Even at the same money, give me Jeffcoat. But we're already out on Jeffcoat at whatever his ask is, so I'm certainly not on board with giving more for Betts.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
I'd rather have Jeffcoat.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
I can tell you the 6 starters right now and that's all you really need these days.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
We don't need a ratio edge. We routinely start 8 or 9 Nats. If they are going to spend that price tag, they're gonna sign Schoen.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
Can you tell me why? Betts is asking for more than either Schoen or Brady. And is much worse at his position than they are at theirs.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
We paid 120k to Brady last year. I have no interest in paying 50+k more to not have Brady. If he moves on I hope we recruit a new guy on rookie deal. No interest in any CFL vets.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
Meh, we're just talking. I get booch's point. At this point in Jake's career, it wouldn't be super harmful to move on and replace with a younger player. But I'm also ok with keeping vet's around if they accept the reduced pay/playtime - as long as there's a balance and you're not hanging on to too many vets or depending on too many inexperienced players for reps. And that's what I think this is. Maintaining a balance.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
I get what you're saying. I'm going to disagree because it seems like we're going to be seeing quite a shift in the roster this year. We are going to see some vets either walk away of be moved on form and we're going to see a lot of younger guys (or FAs) come in to replace those guys. The shift is happening. So having Jake in the room at a lower salary. I don't think that's going to get in anyone's way. He'll have his leadership/locker room vet hat on. MOS will undoubtedly use him to to talk about the way things used to be and how far we've come. His NAT status keeps him out of the way of any young import we may have coming in, and Lawson has already assumed the mantle of the other starter. Thomas has nothing to do with us reaching out to the Canadian DE's like Bennett and Kongbo.
-
2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)
That was Cole Adamson, who isn't on the roster anymore. Not sure if he went back to school or was just cut?