Around The NHL 2016/2017

4 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Where did you take McDavid? He went 4th in my year to year draft. Risto seems like a reach in an 8 team league, but your other three D are really good. I'm guessing you went D pretty early.

I'm in a 10 team league. We count just about every conventional stat except hits. Love my forwards., but my defense and goaltending is pretty meh. I waited too long to fill out of the bottom of my D and goaltending and ended up with some questionable guys. 

1. (2) Sidney Crosby (Pit - C)
2. (19) Jonathan Quick (LA - G)
3. (22) Evgeny Kuznetsov (Was - C)
4. (39) Nikita Kucherov (TB - RW)
5. (42) Wayne Simmonds (Phi - RW)
6. (59) John Klingberg (Dal - D)
7. (62) Brian Elliott (Cgy - G)
8. (79) Jakub Voracek (Phi - LW,RW)
9. (82) Milan Lucic (Edm - LW)
10. (99) Keith Yandle (Fla - D)
11. (102) Matt Duchene (Col - C)
12. (119) Kyle Okposo (Buf - RW)
13. (122) Steve Mason (Phi - G)
14. (139) Henrik Zetterberg (Det - C,LW)
15. (142) Dougie Hamilton (Cgy - D)
16. (159) Dion Phaneuf (Ott - D)
17. (162) Ryan Miller (Van - G)

thought you said you had Eichel?  Or have I just lost the ability to read?

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Just the way it should be...Oiler for life. Awesome move...

because it worked so well to have Lowe and McTavish in there basically for years with no accountability... :)

Good to see Gretz back in the fold where he belongs.  Rights a wrong committed by Pocklington 28 years ago.  Crap I'm old...

12 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Some solid D prospects there.  With Enstrom and Buff aging, its good to see some prospects that have a solid chance of being decent NHL players.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=142313

The numbers aren't impressive but the Ws sure are. It would be nice if there was a spot to back up Comrie on the Moose. I wouldn't mind seeing one of our goalies getting injured for 10 days or so (nothing lasting) and letting Comrie get a taste of some NHL action. Put some more heat on Hutch and Helle to perform better because they are average at best. I am probably being impatient but I thought Helle would come out and steal some games for us early in the season and play like a beast.

The Little injury and Trouba holdout are having a big impact on the team as well. Having Buff Enstrom Trouba Myers Morrissey and one of Stu, Postma or Chiarot is a LOT stronger D corps.

TUP,

I agree, I am not as down on the Stanley pick as some are. He was viewed the best D man available and they moved up and took him. The only player taken after him that I might have taken is Rubstov but he is kind of a wild card. I think Stanley will be a 2D for us but it won't be for 4 or 5 seasons. His ceiling is a #1 shutdown D man but few think he will attain it. I know KBF hates Enstrom but I would re-sign him to a 2 year contract if he agreed to a much smaller salary. 3m a year or something.

They probably overpaid for Stanley but quality D-men are at a premium in the NHL right now.  The overpay was less to get him at the draft then it would be to trade for an actual D down the road  

If you don't draft them, they are extremely hard to get.  

Hope the kid progresses and turns out. 

a few quotes from everyone's favorite.... Friedman...

"the Jets are committed to Josh Morrissey. It wasn’t easy for Paul Maurice to scratch Mark Stuart (and Chris Thorburn) from the Heritage Classic, but they want him to learn. Morrissey shared some great insight into playing with Dustin Byfuglien, calling him a excellent partner with one (tongue-in-cheek) exception. “I’ll go off after 30 seconds, and he’ll say, ‘You’re never going to keep up with my minute-long shifts if you do that,’” Morrissey laughed. He added there have been times Byfuglien has yelled at him to stay on the ice when he’s gone for a change."

"There’s no substitute in reporting for face time. Going into Winnipeg and spending a weekend there, you can’t help but be struck by the feeling the Jets are determined to play hardball with Jacob Trouba. Several teams have tried to be creative but GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is not budging or talking. All he says is, “We will do what’s best for the Winnipeg Jets.” Unless he gets an elite, young player with term or team control, this is not going anywhere for the time being. "

"

Don’t look now, but looming large over Winnipeg’s goalie situation is Ondrej Pavelec. The Jets have allowed 19 goals in five games. There are conflicting reports on how seriously they talked to Los Angeles, with some sources indicating they wanted to get rid of the contract and others saying they always intended to keep him as an insurance policy.

After scoring in the Heritage Classic, Edmonton’s Mark Letestu told Scott Oake it was the same move that worked for him in beating Connor Hellebuyck during an exhibition game. Hellebuyck’s going to be a stud but that shows the very steep learning curve. Can’t let a guy beat you the same way twice."

10 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just were in a panic. They saw who went 2 before Stanley then they saw who went before Stanley and were like well if we want a D we better move up now.

Dont see how our 1st and 2nd round picks and a b-prospect wouldn't have moved Jets up for Chychryn...  

And not sure that Cholowski is not a better pick than Stanley.  Will find out eventually.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Different teams value players differenlyt.  Jets like what Stanley has.  He's 7 feet tall and 300 lbs.  And you cant teach that.

I'm sorry but Logan Stanley was not anywhere near the top of their draft list.  He was last man standing.