Mike Riley accounting for a wrong....

bb1

I met Mike Riley once where I worked. It was the day after a tough loss to Calgary but he was smiling, saying hi to everybody. I was still steaming over our loss! Never forgot his reaction seemed like a good man.This article confirms it. Made a terrible mistake but owned up to it.

If there can be a good ending to gang rape, this is as close to that as it gets. Mike Riley had a rep as a good guy when he was here and it seems that he still is. He stepped up, admitted the harm he did and took the wrath of his victim. It couldn't have been easy.

Edited by tracker

6 hours ago, johnzo said:

yeah, that Stanford story is shitty and heartbreaking -- but in the past, I'm not sure it would have been a national story, it just would have quietly gone away, so there's that.

This is proof that Neanderthals have not gone totally extinct, and that comparison may be an insult to neanderthals. Rape is not about sex. It is about degrading and humiliating another human being. If this turkey gets put into general population in the hoosegow, he will have the error of his ways brought to his attention.

The notorious thing about the Stanford swimmer rape case is that the dude got 60 days for raping an unconscious woman next to a dumpster. That's why there was a massive outcry.  The victim worked for a hellish year to make him pay for his crime, the prosecutor beat his high-dollar lawyers and convinced 12 jurors to convict him on three counts (rape charges are pretty tricky to convict on, especially in front of a jury). 

And the judge was like, well, you seem like a nice boy and we don't want to damage your future prospects, so let's let you go with a slap on the wrist and put this behind us.  One imagines that if he were not an elite Olympic prospect, this would have gone differently.

With such a tiny sentence, he'll do his time in the county jail, which is much less scary that the state pen.

Now to be fair, he also has to register as a sex offender, he's lost his scholarship, USA Swimming has ejected him, and any google on his name will reveal him to be a big ol' sex predator. So he's taken some hits, but people wanted more.

17 hours ago, johnzo said:

Gotta be impressed by Brenda Tracy -- hopefully her story reaches some men, changes some behavior. What she does cannot be easy, to put it lightly.

To be honest, I thought it was a little unfortunate that this element of the story seemed to be overshadowed by Riley rather than the other way around, so thank you for posting this.