Gordie Howe dies... at 88 years old

According to every known news source on the planet.....Mr. Hockey passed on, a couple of hours ago.   As a life time hockey fan, and a sports fan in general.....this is one of the saddest days ever.

The words, superstar, generational, elite, and great.....get thrown around pretty loosely, on boards, and in the media, these days.    Gordie Howe was all of those, and more....

You could call him sport's true multi-generational talent.  My condolences to the entire Howe family.

Edited by do or die

Read his book last year.  He sounded like he was ready to go.  His wife was gone, his kids grown, and his memory going due to Alzheimers.  He was one heck of a great guy.  I strongly recommend everyone read his book.  Interesting fact - his first ever pro camp was in Winnipeg, with the New York Rangers.  They gave him a full set of gear to wear and he had to sit and watch everyone else put their gear on, as he had no idea what most of it was, as he had never had a full set in his entire life.  If you read the conditions in which he grew up, it is hard to believe it was Canada.  But that's what made him so tough.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Read his book last year.  He sounded like he was ready to go.  His wife was gone, his kids grown, and his memory going due to Alzheimers.  He was one heck of a great guy.  I strongly recommend everyone read his book.  Interesting fact - his first ever pro camp was in Winnipeg, with the New York Rangers.  They gave him a full set of gear to wear and he had to sit and watch everyone else put their gear on, as he had no idea what most of it was, as he had never had a full set in his entire life.  If you read the conditions in which he grew up, it is hard to believe it was Canada.  But that's what made him so tough.

Is this it?

https://www.amazon.ca/Mr-Hockey-Autobiography-Gordie-Howe/dp/0670068721

actually the 1940's, if you can believe it.  His biggest regret was never getting an education.  When he played junior, he worked in a munitions plant in Ontario (because it was WW2) instead of going to school because the money was so good.  But he said if he could do it again he would have gone to school instead.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd say the trade Adams made in 1955 getting rid of nine players including Sawchuck was worse.

yeah that's right.  I got my years mixed up.  That trade gutted the Red Wings, right after they had won the 1955 Stanley Cup.  They were never the same after that.  And there was now no one strong enough to stand up to the Montreal Canadiens, who won five straight cups in 1956 - 1960.

Edited by kelownabomberfan