Wrestling

Rich

JBL took it on the chin this week.  Plenty of "Fire JBL" chants at Smackdown.  And a video went viral of a fan with a "JBL Bullied Me" sign being ejected from the building.  Pat Militich joined Bas Rutan as tweeting JBL a veiled threat over his treatment of Mauro Renallo.  I havent watched SD yet but some people have said JBL was a bit more reserved and "smiling babyface" this week.

I imagine WWE will just let it blow over.  But if more stories come out about his behavior and the bullying culture of WWE, they will have to act.

34 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I missed smackdown cuz i was watching the jays lose again,  who all went to SD... Owens, Zayn, New Day, Charlotte, Primo & Epico, Tamina and Jinder Mahal?  imo raw won

Smackdown now has Owens, Zayn, Nak, Styles, American Alpha (even though they've been de-pushed).  You can throw Orton in there as a solid worker too.  RAW has the bigger stars.  SD has the better workers. 

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Balor is so overrated.  He'll never be the star that people want him to be.

I'm not super excited for the Ziggler/Nak feud that will probably last for months.  Put him in a program with Sami Zayn for maximum effect.

3-time former New Japan World Junior Champion

6-time former New Japan World Junior Tag Team Champion

Former NXT Champion

Former WWE Universal Champion.

And a slew of lower level championships and award recognition everywhere he goes.

He's already the star people want him to be.  Not liking him is one thing.  Thinking a super talented guy who's been successful all over the world is over-rated is hilarious.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

3-time former New Japan World Junior Champion

6-time former New Japan World Junior Tag Team Champion

Former NXT Champion

Former WWE Universal Champion.

And a slew of lower level championships and award recognition everywhere he goes.

He's already the star people want him to be.  Not liking him is one thing.  Thinking a super talented guy who's been successful all over the world is over-rated is hilarious.

Super talented?  Then why are all his matches exactly the same?  And why do people want a 5'6" munchkin in the wrestling ring anyways?  Let him fight with cruiserweights like the childlike gremlin that he is.  That is, if he can ever stay healthy enough to wrestle two matches in a six month period.

Hope he goes away ASAP.  He's cancer to sports entertainment.  If he wins the belt again, WWE might as well just wave the white flag and shut their doors.

Balor sucks.

Just now, Atomic said:

Super talented?  Then why are all his matches exactly the same?  And why do people want a 5'6" munchkin in the wrestling ring anyways?  Let him fight with cruiserweights like the childlike gremlin that he is.  That is, if he can ever stay healthy enough to wrestle two matches in a six month period.

Hope he goes away ASAP.  He's cancer to sports entertainment.  If he wins the belt again, WWE might as well just wave the white flag and shut their doors.

Balor sucks.

Ohhhh I see, you're trolling.  Well, the good thing is, no one makes you watch.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Wrestling fans are ruining wrestling!  They cheer for the fat guys and midgets and boo the super-athletes.  It's disgusting.

Except super athletes like Finn.  And Nak.  And Styles.  And Zayn.  And Bryan before he was hurt. 

Dont forget Rusev.  Original super athlete.  Loved by many. 

Rusev yes.  The rest could just as easily be your neighbourhood mailman or bantam cricket player, to look at them.  Daniel Bryan doesn't even look like an athlete.  I've got better abs than him.

We need more Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage, less Daniel Bryan and Finn Balor.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Isn't she supposed to get booed?

To be honest, I cant even remember if she turned face or not.  WWE does really bad face turns.  Heel turns, much better.  Face turns, almost non existent.  They have a weird belief system about certain things.  Like selling.  In WWE, they dont believe in selling.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

To be honest, I cant even remember if she turned face or not.  WWE does really bad face turns.  Heel turns, much better.  Face turns, almost non existent.  They have a weird belief system about certain things.  Like selling.  In WWE, they dont believe in selling.

Is that a WWE thing or a new talent thing?  Or both?  Definitely seen some good sell jobs recently in NJPW and CWE.  I remember back in the day some WWE guys were great at selling.  That legendary Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match at Wrestlemania comes to mind.  Bret Hart vs Stone Cold, too.  

But you don't see it too much anymore.  Cena really pisses me off.  One second he is supposedly in agony and exhausted, next he is doing multiple AA's and flying around the ring.  I get babyface fire but..... it's a little much.  NXT is TERRIBLE for this.  No one sells at all.  One thing that Brock Lesnar actually does really well is sell moves (in the rare occasion someone gets to do a move on him).  He's the only guy I can think of right now who really sells moves well.

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Is that a WWE thing or a new talent thing?  Or both?  Definitely seen some good sell jobs recently in NJPW and CWE.  I remember back in the day some WWE guys were great at selling.  That legendary Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match at Wrestlemania comes to mind.  Bret Hart vs Stone Cold, too.  

But you don't see it too much anymore.  Cena really pisses me off.  One second he is supposedly in agony and exhausted, next he is doing multiple AA's and flying around the ring.  I get babyface fire but..... it's a little much.  NXT is TERRIBLE for this.  No one sells at all.  One thing that Brock Lesnar actually does really well is sell moves (in the rare occasion someone gets to do a move on him).  He's the only guy I can think of right now who really sells moves well.

AJ.

Its a WWE thing.  Its just their style of "story telling" is not to sell.  I think they think it doesnt matter and impacts the match in a needless way.  They are wrong.  But that's probably their mindset.

I was talking with Omega about something recently that sort of mentioned this.  I was asking him about his finisher the One Winged Angel and how he developed it.  There were similar moves before his but he said he had a big match and knew his arm was going to be the main focus worked throughout the match, so he needed a finisher other than the Croyt's Wrath because he'd have to execute it basically one handed.  He specifically said because they wanted a match that sold everything as opposed to WWE where they'd simply not sell the arm injury and just execute their move.

I think this is also why some North American fans get hot at guys like Dave Meltzer and accuse him of favouring Japanese wrestling with his ratings.  But not selling or not selling effectively or not selling consistently are a part of what makes a match great. 

Why AJ might be an exception is because he came from Japan where its important and missed WWE's re-programming centre (NXT). 

The worst thing is, you might have someone sell in the moment.  But then hop up and act like its no big deal.  Using Nia Jax as an example, she was in an arm bar submission last night for quite some time, broke out of it and then never sold the arm whatsoever.  I dont know why, but that drove me nuts.  Sell you're friggen arm!

I recently was talked into coming out of "retirement" for one last match.  And being a generally poor worker myself because I dont do it often, it takes a conscious effort to remind yourself to sell.  But I always try to remember, on things like chops and punches, to sell the effect on my own hand. 

Another aspect of this with WWE is they dont sell injuries.  Guy gets killed on Sunday and is fine on Monday.  They actually kept Roman off TV to sell the beating which is shocking but its because Stroman is a big Vince project.  Unfortunately, they had Roman at all the house shows over the weekend. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Do you regularly attend CWE shows?