UFC

Goalie

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

A couple months ago GSP said he walks around at about 187lbs so if that's true, 155 isn't out of the question.  There are definitely lightweights that are around that weight or higher (Gleison Tibau & Dustin Poirier to name a couple).

you have to consider gsp never stopped training. He stays in great shape year round. with his build and muscle he isnt going to make it down to 155. 

32 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I would argue that if Tibau, who is also very muscular, can cut from 190 then so can GSP.  GSP also believes that he can easily make 155 (by dieting down and then cutting).

You have a couple freaks like him, and siver but those are the exception to the rule, not the rule. 

Look at his size comapred to johny hendricks and hendricks cant even make 171 any more.

Nate diaz too. He walks about 190, can cut to 155, but is a completely different body type and athlete. A life long endurance athlete, with modest muscle build vs the trap/quad/peck  beast that GSP is. And gsp being a judoka. Close to 35 pound cut for a guy who stays close to optimal through out the year is a serious danger of causing kidney failure. Not to mention he hasnt had a fight in what 3 years now? Great athletic shape is a different animal then fighting shape. 

Gsp is also bat s%^& crazy. Ive seen him talk about shooting the double and aiming for the key hole and visualizing him self nailing the window as if jumping through it and coming out the other side in the mount. Little on his OCDS. I love the guy, but hes a nutter. 

A catch weight fight I could see, but he would certainly need a warm up fight. That said, gsp having stood in for the hardest of johny hendricks roided up blows and making a fight of it makes me think mcG couldnt KO him. The size and power difference, I dont think he could fight off the take down. And we all know GSP is more then happy to ground and pound his way to a less then exciting victory. Diaz is a border lien 171 pounder at best. With marginal divisional power and gave mcg trouble. I dont think gsp has finishing power to beat mcg either though. 

My point is that it's not inconceivable.

We don't know if he'does be a Tibau or a Hendricks because he's never tried to make that weight.  All we know is that other guys with similar size have made that weight on a regular basis so it's possible that GSP could too.

One huge difference between him and a guy like Hendricks is their discipline.  Johny's biggest problem is that he loves to eat ( I can relate! ?) and needs help keeping his weight down in between fights... GSP doesn't have that problem .   He definitely has the mentality to do it, if he was serious about it.

31 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

My point is that it's not inconceivable.

We don't know if he'does be a Tibau or a Hendricks because he's never tried to make that weight.  All we know is that other guys with similar size have made that weight on a regular basis so it's possible that GSP could too.

One huge difference between him and a guy like Hendricks is their discipline.  Johny's biggest problem is that he loves to eat ( I can relate! ?) and needs help keeping his weight down in between fights... GSP doesn't have that problem .   He definitely has the mentality to do it, if he was serious about it.

a very, very select few, probably only 2 do. Not to mention the current 10% BW rule for cutting. Been in effect since iirc ufc 200. By those rules he wouldnt be allowed to drop that %. Look at cyborg and tate. Other women make a cut but due to ahem superior build reasons one cant make it to 5 pounds off 135 and the other has been having to weight in naked and use the 1 pound buffer. 

That rule only applies to cutting weight the week of the fight.  That's why I said he would have to diet down first and then cut .   It's a 8% limit, meaning the Tuesday before the fight he couldn't weigh more than 167.5.

Lightweights walk around in the 180's quite a bit.  Eddie Alvarez was in that range only 6 weeks before his fight with Conor so it's not as rare as you think.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:36 PM, bigg jay said:

That rule only applies to cutting weight the week of the fight.  That's why I said he would have to diet down first and then cut .   It's a 8% limit, meaning the Tuesday before the fight he couldn't weigh more than 167.5.

Lightweights walk around in the 180's quite a bit.  Eddie Alvarez was in that range only 6 weeks before his fight with Conor so it's not as rare as you think.

A few light weights with minimal muscular build cut heavy amounts. Not a lot are walking 180s not by any stretch. Diaz whose stuck between being a 155 lbser and 170 lber walks under 180. Hes able to make that cut because hes a tall thin build with world class cardio levels. at 158 gsp didnt even make it to 170 a difference between the Quebec athletic board and the ufc cutting rules saved him from sanction.  Cyborg has a better shot at 135. How is "dieting down" going to cut down 35-40 pounds when he walks easily under 10% fat? All the sources ive seen puts GSP 190-195 walking weight. Which seems realistic. You look a him next to johny hendricks(who cuts from 192-195), lawler (who walks 191 n change), and similar big WWs he isnt cutting 15 pounds or less to make 170. 

To have a chance he would have to reconstitute his build. As in shed pounds and pounds of muscle that hes held for most of his life. Then fight the highest level fight of his career. 

Plenty of LW's make that big cut, not just 2 like you claim.  If you want examples of muscular guys, look at Dos Anjos (195) or Paul Felder (185-190), to go with the other names I've already mentioned. 

If he was dieting down before cutting weight, he would be changing his physique.  Judging by a picture he tweeted yesterday, he looks noticeably thinner than when he was fighting (still very much in shape though) so he may already be doing that.

Hendricks cuts from much higher than 190-195 so I wouldn't be so quick to compare him to GSP.  When he was getting ready to fight Lawler, Johny was 218.  Johny said he wants to stay around 195 but it hasn't happened because he can't stick to his diet (just one reason why Mike Dolce no longer works with him).

GSP himself said he's around 187 so I would say that trumps whatever sources you have read.  That also means that he would not be considered a large ww, that weight puts him about middle of the pack.  This isn't anything new though, his camp has talked about going to 155 for at least 5 years.

On 2016-11-19 at 7:58 PM, bigg jay said:

GSP himself said he's around 187 so I would say that trumps whatever sources you have read.  That also means that he would not be considered a large ww, that weight puts him about middle of the pack.  This isn't anything new though, his camp has talked about going to 155 for at least 5 years.

There are several guys GSP's size, or bigger, at LW. Tony Ferguson has said he gets up around 200 pounds between fights. GSP has never been considered overly big for WW. I can't see any reason, other than not wanting to, that he couldn't fight at 155.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the same way he reacted to the other 2 fighters associations that currently exist... with laughter.

Having Bjorn Rebney (former head of Bellator)  involved is scaring a lot of fighters away.  His reputation is not one that is very fighter friendly (just ask Eddie Alvarez).  The fact that there are now 3 competing associations just divides the fighters and makes them easy for the UFC to ignore.  If they were a strong united group it might be different.

On 12/1/2016 at 9:27 AM, Brandon said:

So a new fighters association...  I wonder how Dana will react to this.

seems like its allready a sinking ship. Though it may be a tool to get a deal done with GSP and the UFC. If he comes back the last thing i want to see is him fight in bellaturd or roidzin. 

showtime pettis misses weight by 3 pounds. Pretty sad, im sure they will keep the fight, fine him and give holloway part of his purse. Its too bad hes struggled to make this weight in the past I dont think showtime is long for FW. To bad. If he wins then its a real mess with what to do next. 

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

seems like its allready a sinking ship. Though it may be a tool to get a deal done with GSP and the UFC. If he comes back the last thing i want to see is him fight in bellaturd or roidzin. 

showtime pettis misses weight by 3 pounds. Pretty sad, im sure they will keep the fight, fine him and give holloway part of his purse. Its too bad hes struggled to make this weight in the past I dont think showtime is long for FW. To bad. If he wins then its a real mess with what to do next. 

It's definitely not just a tool to get a deal for GSP but it's sure not going anywhere at this rate.  Cerrone is already backing away, they didn't even tell him he would be a board member, he says he was basically just there to show support.  Cerrone won't name names, but says there are people involved he won't work with (that would be Rebney - who Kennedy was publicly criticizing this week).   It's got some valid points and big names involved, but way too many issues to be successful. 

The biggest issue for Pettis missing weight is that his fight was supposed to be for the interim title.  They can still make it a 5 rounder but Pettis can't win the belt so it's kind of useless for him.  Holloway can still win the belt though so will still take the fight (if the notoriously strict OAC allows it - which they should).

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

It's definitely not just a tool to get a deal for GSP but it's sure not going anywhere at this rate.  Cerrone is already backing away, they didn't even tell him he would be a board member, he says he was basically just there to show support.  Cerrone won't name names, but says there are people involved he won't work with (that would be Rebney - who Kennedy was publicly criticizing this week).   It's got some valid points and big names involved, but way too many issues to be successful. 

The biggest issue for Pettis missing weight is that his fight was supposed to be for the interim title.  They can still make it a 5 rounder but Pettis can't win the belt so it's kind of useless for him.  Holloway can still win the belt though so will still take the fight (if the notoriously strict OAC allows it - which they should).

Its not just that tool no. But that may end up being the only purpose it serves. I would prefer it if the fighters got a legit association in order. But with this group they have together I dont think it has a snow balls chance in hell.

Pretty much, if pettis wins i wonder if he still gets a crack at aldo. Promoting and interim and then giving another interim belt is ridiculous. This is the 2nd time out of 3 attempts pettis has missed 145. He needs to seriously over haul his camp or stay at lw after this. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Its not just that tool no. But that may end up being the only purpose it serves. I would prefer it if the fighters got a legit association in order. But with this group they have together I dont think it has a snow balls chance in hell.

Pretty much, if pettis wins i wonder if he still gets a crack at aldo. Promoting and interim and then giving another interim belt is ridiculous. This is the 2nd time out of 3 attempts pettis has missed 145. He needs to seriously over haul his camp or stay at lw after this. 

There's a lot of belief that even if this one is doomed to fail, it has provided a good stepping stone for the next association to succeed.  Having big names who are still active fighters, was a big coup and should encourage other to follow suit with whatever group comes next.

Pettis needs to fire his nutritionist.  They were filming Embedded a few days ago & Pettis was chowing down at a steak house.  His guy basically said this weight cut went so good & was so easy that Pettis could eat more if he was still hungry... clearly that wasn't the case!

19 hours ago, bigg jay said:

There's a lot of belief that even if this one is doomed to fail, it has provided a good stepping stone for the next association to succeed.  Having big names who are still active fighters, was a big coup and should encourage other to follow suit with whatever group comes next.

Pettis needs to fire his nutritionist.  They were filming Embedded a few days ago & Pettis was chowing down at a steak house.  His guy basically said this weight cut went so good & was so easy that Pettis could eat more if he was still hungry... clearly that wasn't the case!

Yeah first attempts are seldom successful but often the first step to the final solution. Any union really has to get the stars of the sport on its side when it gets its legal side straight. 

What a joke. He shouldnt have trouble making that weight with his build.  It blows my mind how some of these guys get such terrible people working for them. Nutritionists, trainers, etc

Derrick lewis and francis ngannou aka the great hope of the HW division both won friday. How they had this event with these two and didnt have them on 206 is a mind blowingly bad decision. I feel like if it was any other decision these guys would have fought each other all ready. Both got nice finishes of their respective soup can opponent. I cant wait for these guys to get some actual ranked HW ufc fights. 

“I saw Brock made millions, more than anyone ever,” Hunt said. “I wanna know what they are gonna do to Brock now. When you don’t make weight they give twenty percent of your purse to the other fighter. If you get caught cheating you should lose all of it.”

Hunt later tweeted out that he actually wanted all of Lesnar’s check because “cheaters don’t deserve s--t.”

I do find it odd at how fighters are punished for violations....

Feeling is that USADA must have felt Brock's use was unintentional.  He likely made $6-$7 million or more with PPV bonus money so the fine is nothing.  Brock is also still subject to out of competition testing which is something he would absolutely loath if he didnt have to do it.  And he'd only have to do it if he planned on fighting again.  So it would seem he hasnt closed the door on fighting again...