UFC

Goalie

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

A terrible card as to be expected.     The only really interesting thing that I read was the transcript of Anthony Johnson corner giving up on him and being completely defeated after he ignored their wishes and kept trying to wrestle with Daniel Cormier. 

I'm not an MMA coach or expert....  but it really does puzzle me when a guy like Rumble has great success throwing hooks and high kicks which were connecting and hurting Cormier.... only for him to clinch and then try to go for a takedown and then lose that battle.    He didn't look tired and clearly it was working for him when he kept distance and landed bombs.   Super weird that he would go to the one area in which he was greatly outmatched in.

The Mousasi fight was disappointing in how it ended...  looked like the end was going to be great only for Mirgliotta to blow the call (again).  

Why is Pearl Gonzalez on a main card for a PPV?  It blows my mind that they have two nobodies fighting on the ppv portion?? 

It's cards like these that make me yearn for the old days of Pride where at least you would be entertained if the star power wasn't holding up the card...

Agree, expected little of this card and wasnt disappointed. couple good tilts, nothing much more then youd see on world star though.

To be honest rumble seemed self defeated, it happens a lot in fighting that a guy beats him self. even before he steps into the ring. it is however not common for the main event of a pro ppv.

Pearl is in line for the ufc hype machine. Shes better then thug rose or vanzant. Not any where near the top tier of female fighter though.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/4/10/15253692/ufc-210-daniel-cormier-weigh-in-controversy-mma-news

A break down of how the towel trick DC used works. You dont lean and put weight down on it, you just use it to carry a tiny bit of the weight from your arms.  He 100% deserves to be stripped of the belt. (a belt he still hasnt earned imop) But then what a teixiera  gus interim interim match? dc and jon jones for a none title event after that? dc manuwa and jj OSP2 / rua? That divsion is such a dogs breakfast. Worse then heavy weight now. Never thought id say such a thing. Im soo tired of the BS matches and weak @$$ cards. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

been a bad first quarter for ufc cards and events in general. But this would be fantastic. DJ vs mcg. no take backs gimmie it now. 

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/4/18/15341070/ufc-mma-news-interview-video-demetrious-johnson-conor-mcgregor-super-fight-featherweight

I can't see it ever happening. McGregor would murder him. He's way too big for Johnson.

12 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I can't see it ever happening. McGregor would murder him. He's way too big for Johnson.

Gigantic compared to him. I would love to see it though, and mighty mouse wants a pay day. I could see it as a surprise retirement fight from him. 

On 4/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, bigg jay said:

Edmonton finally gets a UFC.  I guess the appeal of a new arena trumps dealing with the gong-show commission they have there (which is why they haven't been back since the WEC days).

http://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-to-host-ufc-216-at-rogers-place-1.736447

Yeah, the inconsistency of their commission back to the late 90s with muay thai and kick boxing was awful. 

We had such a good gate here Im surprised we havent seemed to have a sniff at a return event.  

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Calling out Barboza right off the hop.. the guy has some balls that's for sure. 

Thats for sure. A fight like melendez, iaquinta, or poirier would be fantastic. Fighting 1-3 fringe guys on an under card isnt going to get him any where in the LW division though. Its a real meat grinder. 

• 2 weeks later...

The disunified rules of MMA.  If Rogan is correct (which might not be the case) and that commission uses the old rules, then all of those knees are illegal.  Poirier could appeal if that's the case and Herb made a mistake.

Terrible situation for fighters and ref's with the rules right now.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

The disunified rules of MMA.  If Rogan is correct (which might not be the case) and that commission uses the old rules, then all of those knees are illegal.  Poirier could appeal if that's the case and Herb made a mistake.

Terrible situation for fighters and ref's with the rules right now.

From what i read on i think bloody elbow it is old rules. 

I bet poirier appeals and wins.

Yeah its just awful. and on such a good card and such a good fight. They gotta get this stuff sorted out. 

Appeals are very rarely successful and Texas has a terrible commission so I don't hold out much hope.  They might not have officially passed the new rules but they have a history of making stuff up on the fly so who knows what the fighters were told during the rules meeting.

Poirier might have a good case though... to be successful he would need to prove that Herb made an error (which he did when he considered the 1st knees legal if old rules were used).

6 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Appeals are very rarely successful and Texas has a terrible commission so I don't hold out much hope.  They might not have officially passed the new rules but they have a history of making stuff up on the fly so who knows what the fighters were told during the rules meeting.

Poirier might have a good case though... to be successful he would need to prove that Herb made an error (which he did when he considered the 1st knees legal if old rules were used).

who has a good commission tho? seems like they are all various degrees of bad. 

I really wanna see that re fight. If it stays NC and they re fight thats the best case scenario. 

This is probably the best card of the year, a nice change of pace. 

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

There's commissions like Texas or Edmonton that are on a whole other level though.   They have repeatedly ignored their own regulations & that could get someone seriously hurt.  They are lawsuits waiting to happen. 

I dont think much of ontario, LV or ny either. I really dont think well of any that i can think of. Some are of course a cut below the rest.Fighting taxi cab drivers in mexico n junk.

Ontario's biggest issue is how much it costs to hold an event.  Their former boss has retired and he was rumored to be a part of their problem so we'll see how they do without him. 

NY definitely hasnt gotten off to a good start with mma which is weird because they usually handle boxing fine.

I don't always agree with Nevada decisions but they do follow their regulations.  They are unique in that the majority of big fights are there so there's way more attention paid to them.  Given how many shows they do, they have a decent track record. 

Both knees were illegal .. Alvarez was desperate.

Fun night of fights, I couldn't believe how low of fight IQ that the heavyweight Sherman had in his fight. Literally one leg kick would of ended the fight but yet he tried getting into a slugfest and nearly lost.

• 2 weeks later...