UFC

Goalie

The biggest thing for Punk will be they fired him on his wedding day.  He holds a grudge (still doesnt talk to his own brother over a dispute when they ran a small time local indy promotion years ago).  He had issues with Hunter before that but the wedding day firing will stick in his craw for a long time.  They did, however, treat AJ really well on her way out...

I dont mind punk wanting to switch to mma. But he shouldnt be starting at the top of the food chain. He shouldnt even be fighting in any of the low level pro circuits. 

ufc on fox 21 tnite, and its a good card for a fox event. lauzon miller, rawlings vanzant, olivera pettis, and maia condit. Really excited for maia condit. Im a big carlos condit fan, but maia is probably the hardest match up for him at WW. 

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I dont mind punk wanting to switch to mma. But he shouldnt be starting at the top of the food chain. He shouldnt even be fighting in any of the low level pro circuits. 

ufc on fox 21 tnite, and its a good card for a fox event. lauzon miller, rawlings vanzant, olivera pettis, and maia condit. Really excited for maia condit. Im a big carlos condit fan, but maia is probably the hardest match up for him at WW. 

This is something Dana would never have done a few years ago but now he understand that with the amount of shows they have its all about marketable stars and marketable issues.  Problem is Punk has taken so long to actually fight, its really taken the shine off him.  But a popular WWE top guy? Thats always a good idea.  He's already over and knows how to cut a promo and build an angle.

I remember when Kurt Angle was talking about MMA and Dana wanted him to go through TUF.  If that was today (and Angle was ten years younger), he'd take him in a heartbeat.  Angle's way more marketable than punk with legit skill.

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Fight night last night was pretty good, for some reason i find Smilin' Sam Alvey hilarious though i wouldn't want to get punch by him.

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is something Dana would never have done a few years ago but now he understand that with the amount of shows they have its all about marketable stars and marketable issues.  Problem is Punk has taken so long to actually fight, its really taken the shine off him.  But a popular WWE top guy? Thats always a good idea.  He's already over and knows how to cut a promo and build an angle.

I remember when Kurt Angle was talking about MMA and Dana wanted him to go through TUF.  If that was today (and Angle was ten years younger), he'd take him in a heartbeat.  Angle's way more marketable than punk with legit skill.

ehh cant say how much of a hand he had in ufc guys crossing over in wwe back in the day etc. It could be that that and into some of the super stars like gsp did the marketing for him. And the novelty of the sport. It certainly needs more work to market now beyond the fan base thats established. 

I dont follow wwe so i cant speak to that stuff, but an olympic gold medal in wrestling is certainly a fast track in the ufc. 

that card was fairly entertaining. The vanzant KO was pretty sweet. Dont often see a switch kick ko. Minor shades of lyoto/silva with that one xD.

Pettis looked good droping the weight. Id love to see him fight mcG one day for the stylistic match up alone.

Maia ran through condit like silva through forrest griffen. Knew it was a tough match up for condit but I didnt think he'd get rolled like that. I suspect weve seen the last of condit in the ufc. I could see him going ot bellator and having some fights with rory mac or benson if he goes back up to WW there. I could just see him retiring too. 

Just now, bustamente said:

Fight night last night was pretty good, for some reason i find Smilin' Sam Alvey hilarious though i wouldn't want to get punch by him.

lol yeah. The quality of the fox cards has been on a sharp increase. Cant help but feel once that deal is done the ufc will replace it with the live streaming service. Though I think having live free events on tv is a big tool in garnering fans. 

If I recall, the WWE/UFC stuff back in the Shamrock era definitely pre-dated Dana.  Angle was out of WWE when he talked about doing UFC.  Dana has said negotiations with WWE have always been difficult but that the deals for Ronda and Brock were easier.   The whole family other then Shane hate MMA and think its barbaric.  Shane always got it.  Shane wanted to buy UFC when it was for sale in the late 90's.  Vince wouldn't bite.  Shane tried to buy Pride and Vince wouldn't bite.

Even Hunter and Steph don't like it.  Hunter pretends to now because its cool.  But Vince and probably Hunter, understand how big it is now and that its the demos they want.  Vince once said women in MMA would never work because no one would ever pay to see women fight.  lol

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If I recall, the WWE/UFC stuff back in the Shamrock era definitely pre-dated Dana.  Angle was out of WWE when he talked about doing UFC.  Dana has said negotiations with WWE have always been difficult but that the deals for Ronda and Brock were easier.   The whole family other then Shane hate MMA and think its barbaric.  Shane always got it.  Shane wanted to buy UFC when it was for sale in the late 90's.  Vince wouldn't bite.  Shane tried to buy Pride and Vince wouldn't bite.

Even Hunter and Steph don't like it.  Hunter pretends to now because its cool.  But Vince and probably Hunter, understand how big it is now and that its the demos they want.  Vince once said women in MMA would never work because no one would ever pay to see women fight.  lol

looking at the dates yeah he inherited that stuff. (I know less about wrestling then the riders know about class)

Id say there is a very good chance then looking closer at the time lines that he inherited a lot of built in hype.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

The Bochniak/ Barzola decision puzzled me a bit how could 1 judge see the 30-27 for Barzola and the other 2 see it 29-28 for Bochniak, i'm not gonna pretend to know how to score a fight but were they watching the same fight.

yeah that was an awful decision. I think every one but those 2 judges had it 30-27. Thats what i had it and the vast majority of people on mma decisions had it for barzola. Fight metrics points to him winning clearly too.  idk whats worse, mma judging or the use of the 10 point or less system.  

9 hours ago, bustamente said:

The Bochniak/ Barzola decision puzzled me a bit how could 1 judge see the 30-27 for Barzola and the other 2 see it 29-28 for Bochniak, i'm not gonna pretend to know how to score a fight but were they watching the same fight.

Judges often see fights very differently just based on where they are sitting.  3 completely different angles means, depending on where the action, your view can be perfect or it can mean you don't see jack.  Rule of thumb for judges is if you don't see it, it didn't happen so splits like that in fairly close fights arent super uncommon. 

Little known fact about WWE/UFC.  Many know that TUF basically saved (or helped build up UFC) and it aired following RAW. Vince had veto power over what aired following RAW because RAW was such a ratings powerhouse and always ran over their allotted time so their lead in was valuable.  Vince didnt think UFC was competition and said he didnt care about TUF.  That RAW audience is what was captured by UFC with TUF and became core UFC fans.  If Vince knew then what he knows now, he would have vetoed TUF for sure.

I wonder who is next for woodley. Before the fight i would have said it should be wonder boy. Now maia has made a heck of a claim. But woodley wants a huge money fight, and isnt that kind of draw him self. I wouldnt mind watchin maia and wonderboy fight each other while woodley fights GSP but I dont think that happens. I hate to think of both of them sitting waiting for a belt shot. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

As expected, CM Punk was horrible and got his ass handed to him.

Yep. I enjoyed it none the less. The utter lack of respect he showed gall, the ufc/mma and the WW division earned him that beat down. I expect this is the last we will see of punk in the ufc. 

Interestingly gall called out northcutt after wards. Smart move by him, its another big money fight and a guy at the right level with the right skill set to match up against. 

Miocic beat overoids in a thriller. werdum and browne went to a decision. And man wedum was throwing some silly stuff.

So many white knights online defending Punk now. Look, good for him for trying. But when you're a notorious ******* then some people will consider it karma.  

Plus the fact he was able to get licensed in the first place rubbed people the wrong way.  There are many people who drama of fighting in the UFC and probably would do better after training for over a year. 

Punk has never shied away from being a **** to fellow wrestlers. So can't say I care that people are burying him today. 

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So many white knights online defending Punk now. Look, good for him for trying. But when you're a notorious ******* then some people will consider it karma.  

Plus the fact he was able to get licensed in the first place rubbed people the wrong way.  There are many people who drama of fighting in the UFC and probably would do better after training for over a year. 

Punk has never shied away from being a **** to fellow wrestlers. So can't say I care that people are burying him today. 

Yeah i see a ton of that too. Gotta respect his heart, mma is all about respect, any one who doesnt like punk is a keyboard warrior etc etc etc. Im not sure if they are wrestling fan boys, or hype train hoppers or what. Punk was a punk leading up to the fight. Maybe he was trying to do the wwe promo thing, or be a diaz/mcG/sonnen/ etc but he missed terribly. And you gotta do some thing and have done some thing if you are gonna talk the talk.

That was maybe the most one sided thrashing ive seen in the modern ufc. It looked like those early days fights where no one knew what to expect. And you had mcdojo instructors fighting brawlers and getting laid out. 

Im glad its over, and im sure its 100% over now in the ufc. If bellator wants to run him out idc. 

Sadly ufc events are getting thin now. With all the star power they crammed into a few cards it was bound to happen.

Couple fights spread out im interested in. johnson poirier, cybro, lineker dodson, tybura lewis, bagautinov horiguchi, but the next couple monthes look thin. 

I had no interest in watching that fight. I didn't watch wrestling during the CM Punk years. It went pretty much as long as I thought it would, although he was taken down faster than I expected. I thought he'd have to eat a few punches before turtling and getting either tapped or pounded out.

The long delay in him getting into the cage really derailed the hype train. I'm interested to see what the ppv numbers will be like.

Yes, the idea was he would bring in numbers.  But it will be interesting to see if he did.  I suspect he did, but we'll see how much.

Some odd things were Punk not really playing the Punk role in the lead up.  I know its because he expected to get beat up so he didnt hype the fight like he would a wrestling match, but thats part of his appeal.  And UFC didnt buy ads during WWE which is really odd.  And the docu-series about Punk aired during RAW which is the worst time to air it.

45 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Bottom line. CM Punk is why most people watched or ordered that ppv. That's the bottom line and that's why he made 500k.  You know what the difference between CM Punk and those guys who fought for sandwiches is? People know who Punk Is. 

Casual fans or wrestling fans maybe... legit mma fans were watching because you had 4 of the top 8 heavyweights ( the 1, 2, 4 & 7 ranked fighters) all fighting on the same card.