Happy Jets @ Singin' Da Blues

IC Khari

The management team over there, until recently, were not very good.

I've got nothing against Myers but he is in 3rd place in our RHD and if one of them is traded, it should be him. Our back end needs a true shutdown D man. Enstrom and Hamonic would make a nice pairing.

I disagree.....they are making goalie's equipment smaller which is the right way to go. They are wearing 4x8 sheets of plywood on their legs tight now.

The ice size could be made wider....instead of 200x85 they could go to 200x100 like the international rinks. As soon as a player gets the puck in the NHL, someone is on him. With more space the skaters would flourish. No need for changing the size of the net.

Edited by Ducky

Said it before but as a former goaltender myself and still an occasional one at times in "beer" leagues, lol, The goalies equipment size has gotten out of control, i bought my stuff about 10 years ago, it still fits since i was pretty much the size i was then now but... some of these guys are going insane with the size of their equipment. I guess you can look at it this way.. You look at a guy like Ryan Miller for example, he's what? 6'1 or 6'2 maybe and maybe 170 pounds, You then look at a good like Rinne or let's even use Hellebuyck, Taller and heavier, yet in the net, Miller looks the same size as Rinne or Helle. 

That shouldn't be the case, the bigger goalies like Helle, Rinne etc, shouldn't look the same size as the smaller ones like Miller, Miller is a good example cuz if you see him without his equipment on, 170 pounds might be pushing it.

They need to make the goalie equipment more form fitting, by that i mean, a goalie who is 6'5 should not look the same as a goalie who is 6'1. 

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:
40 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I disagree.....they are making goalie's equipment smaller which is the right way to go. They are wearing 4x8 sheets of plywood on their legs tight now.

The ice size could be made wider....instead of 200x85 they could go to 200x100 like the international rinks. As soon as a player gets the puck in the NHL, someone is on him. With more space the skaters would flourish. No need for changing the size of the net.

*Sigh* Please lets not debate ice size.  Its a red herring the NHL trots out through some GM or another to take the heat off the REAL changes they should be making.  Yeah, bigger ize would be nice.  No, 30 NHL arena's arent going to rip out the most expensive seats to accommodate it.  NOT HAPPENING.

Size of goalie equipment is a good start.  Size of goalies is the other issue.  You cant increase the size of the ice and you cant shrink the size of players.  Anyone who looks at hockey 20+ years ago and sees the difference in size of HUMANS playing in the NHL from then to now can easily see that players are bigger making ice smaller and nets smaller.  Cant change the ice.  Cant change the player.  Shrink the equipment and increase the net.  Done.

Making the Net bigger by 2 inches or so wouldn't be that bad, it's subtle change that would make probably a big difference and barely be noticed but first, I'd definitely look at shrinking the goalies equipment, And I think during the WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY, it is rumored that we will see smaller goalie equipment. 

But then again, you look at some of the scores around the league the last few days

6-1, 8-1, 9-2... 

Edited by Goalie

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Making the Net bigger by 2 inches or so wouldn't be that bad, it's subtle change that would make probably a big difference and barely be noticed but first, I'd definitely look at shrinking the goalies equipment, And I think during the WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY, it is rumored that we will see smaller goalie equipment. 

But then again, you look at some of the scores around the league the last few days

6-1, 8-1, 9-2... 

There was a study done that showed some huge number of shots hit the post.  So if you increased the nets by an amount barely noticeable, it likely makes a strong enough impact to be noticeable on the scoresheet.  Also, there is a way to shape the posts so pucks are deflected in and not out.

I'd at least try it. But the NHL is something that so many people hang their nostalgia hat on and hate change.  They hated when the area behind the net was increased.  Now no one cares.  They hated when the red line was taken away.  Now no one cares.  They hated when the instigator was dropped.  Well maybe they care about that.  But as Shrek once said, Change is good, Donkey.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'd like to see the bigger ice size......look at the average size of a layer now compared to even the sixties..........there's no room for them out there. It would open up the game more.

Ducky - they will not, ever, retrofit 30 arenas and tear out the most expensive seats to make the ice bigger.  Period.  Never gonna happen.  You might as well suggest they get rid of the ice and play with roller blades because that has a better likelihood of happening. :P

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

This would really help the game.  It would be significantly more exciting.

What distance does a 6 foot 5 guy with a long stick cover across the ice?

Boston isn't very good, they are playing above their heads and going to come back to reality. Last time the JETS played Boston was first game of the year and the Jets owned them. I suspect no different this time around. Jets are actually a better overall team than Boston. Regardless of what points say. 

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Don't the Ducks still have Cup guys on the team?

not sure what the q is but I can see them seriously asking about Ladd. They have a lot of prospects and I think they will battle LA hard in the post-season. The Ducks' window for winning is now, not in 4 or 5 years.

I see these teams as a possible destination for Ladd

IMO, it will come down to basically, as simple as it gets... Which offer the Jets prefer the most

Chicago, Anaheim,Florida, Washington i think is there... Dallas is a possibility... I could even see Tampa kicking the tires

And it will come down 2... who do the Jets feel has the best offer, they will all include 1st round picks, So... which of these teams do you feel will 1. have the higher first round pick and 2. if let's say it's washington and washington wins the cup and picks 30th, what prospect or 2 for that matter are they offering and is that offer, eventho the 1st would be the 30th overall pick, is it better than say Anaheim or Dallas who might be picking higher but perhaps doesn't offer as much as say Washington does. 

Dallas shopping Nichuskin and Honka (Honka is a RHD guy so maybe not much interest to us) But if they offer the 1st and Nichuskin for Ladd cuz they are going for it right now, Can you turn that down? Even tho, their pick might be the last pick of the draft if they win it all. I dunno. 

Edited by Goalie

A 1st and Nichuskin would be fine by me. I think it was McKenzie that said after the 8th or 9th pick, there isn't a lot of difference between 10 to 22 or so.

We trade Ladd now and sink lower in the standings and get a top 3 pick next year and Nichuskin and Dallas 1st...........it's a win.

I know I harp on about this but it wold sure be nice to see Stuart traded to a contender....2.625m for another 2 seasons off the books and no more Stuart....another win.

Think, If I'm Chevy... I'm shopping pretty much everyone besides Little,Wheeler,Scheif,Trouba,Buff,Ehlers,Lowry,Copp,Helle and our prospects. Armia also.

The rest of them are fair game and that includes Enstrom,Chiarot,Stuart,Myers,Ladd,Burmi,Thorburn,Peluso. 

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I keep going back to Tampa and Drouin...

They apparently want a young d man in return. No way Ladd gets your drouin. Myers might but No way Ladd does. 

What if they do tho and Drouin doesn't play top 6 minutes here, say he plays on the third line and he starts sulking and demands a trade again? Right now, Drouin isn't worth Ladd, even tho Ladd is a UFA to be. Drouin right now has very very little value. He's not even playing right now. Think he's a guy that the Jets would avoid. 

Edited by Goalie