Game 39 : Jets @ Sucks

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

No.  The guy sitting beside me on the plane did.  They sat together at some Jets dinner? Is that even a thing?

I dont mean to call into question the veracity of the guy on the plane.  But you never know.  I find people who think they have "inside" information often exaggerate where they got it to make it sound more true.  So "friend of a friend who knows the cop that responded to the call" becomes "My friend is a cop who was at the scene".

Frolik signed a 5 year deal.  It wouldnt surprise me if the Jets were fine with that.  Nor would it surprise me if the Jets wanted a 3-4 year deal.  But Frolik was highly thought of and the right age to sign a longer deal.  I recall Chevy seeming annoyed when the deal happened and made a comment he seemed to wish he could take back, something to the effect of the Jets' offer being better "in some ways".

So to be better, it would mean either more money per year or more years.  I'd be surprised if the Jets offered $4.8m over 4 years and werent willing to match the $4.3 over 5 year deal if Frolik wanted to be here, all things being equal.

Maurice also made the remark recently that he liked Frolik until "he decided he didnt want to be here".  Now that could simply be a general reply to the idea that Frolik signed elsewhere to a better deal.  But it could also support the idea that all things were equal and Frolik chose to leave.

OK I see there is something called a Jets Gala dinner. So the word was that Frolik doesn't even have his high school diploma as he moved to Canada as a teenager, so he wanted a long term deal, as he has nothing to fall back on.  I think in hindsight Chevy would have offered the five years.  He has not been replaced by Burmi.

9 hours ago, Ducky said:

Oh ya, play Postma and sit Chiarot.

Yeah bad game for Chiarot.

He is the #6 dman but still. Speaking of the #5 dman...what's happened to Stu? Is Chairot draggin him down? I know peeps hate Stu around here but he's not hit anybody lately.

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It was almost like the Jets were on the tail end of a road trip and playing back to back nights...........or something...........

Nah, more like middle of a road trip with 2 losses to go.

28 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I sat beside a guy on the plane down to Phoenix who talked to Frolik before he signed with Calgary and he said that it was all about term. He wanted a long term deal.  Had nothing to do with his wife.  Calgary gave it to him, Chevy wouldn't. 

This is weird cause Chevy would prefer long term deals.

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is weird cause Chevy would prefer long term deals.

I could see him wanting to commit to Frolik for only 2 - 3 years as the expectation some of the younger prospects would be stepping into bigger roles and higher salaries in that time frame.

I believe this was also his rational for the shorter Stafford deal.

Age doesn't mean that Chevy saw him as part of his "core" going forward. 

Look at the money he is going to have to dish out over the next 3 years to keep Scheifele and Trouba.  Is Scheifele signs for 8 anbd Trouba bridges, then you have Frolik's contract expiring as Trouba gets his long term deal.

Of course all speculation on our part.

Frolik is not the reason we aren't good. It's never one player or one reason. People can go on about the goalies, Stuart, Chiarot Frolik Stempniak whoever. .. it is all irrelevant. This team just isn't good enough. The core group just can't get it done. I've accepted it. Ladd Buff Toby... little even and I like him but reality on other teams these guys aren't the "stars" they are just depth role players. Wheeler is the only guy who isn't 

The Jets did not look good in several aspects;

Outsot 35-20 which indicates no jump in the Jets play.

Lost the faceoff battle - yet again. 36-25

PP - 0-4 Jets 2-2 Ducks - by far the Jets greatest weakness. IMO, the reason why the Jets are hovering close to the bottom of the NHL. If you're going to take penalties, you have to have great PK. The Jets do not. And that's not even taking into consideration, what I call...Jet penalties, exclusive to Buff, Myers and their body types. Jets have the reputation of a "penalty team" and the refs fed into it.

The expectation for the Jets to make the playoffs wasn't too far off, but the expectation for the Jets to be a top tier team is far off the mark. I don't believe even the brain trust had that notion. There were just too many new pieces and inexperience/question marks in the roster.

I still think the Jets are accumulating a lot of good pieces though, and it looks like they will add to that this year with a high draft pick. They may even improve on those odds with that expected big name trade.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I sat beside a guy on the plane down to Phoenix who talked to Frolik before he signed with Calgary and he said that it was all about term. He wanted a long term deal.  Had nothing to do with his wife.  Calgary gave it to him, Chevy wouldn't. 

I suspect this is true in part Calgary gave a extra year, salary was very close but there were to many stories about Frolik's wife and her unhappiness in Winnipeg, maybe true maybe not water under the bridge 

Hard to believe Fro still gets that much talk here.
I have the same outlook on it as Maurice, you don't wanna be here? buh-bye...

My biggest kick against Chevy? We need help on the LHD, where is it?

We have a ton of young assets and picks and players and we need a LHD.

Stuart is horrible and so is Chiarot. I don't care what you guys say about "what do you expect from a 3rd pair D", he is a liability and so is Chiarot. Is Postma really that bad that he can't replace one of these guys? Nine minutes a game is WAY too much for these two clowns to see the ice never mind the time they are seeing. I don't think you need to sell the farm but we do need some help. Helle seems to have helped in goal now we need help at LHD Chevy.