Game 30 : Jets @ Blackhawksdown

The Jets won't make the p layoffs....been saying this since late November...

The Jets won't make the p layoffs....been saying this since late November...

I'm not going that far yet i think we have very close to the same amount of points as last year at this point. But changes need to be made to this team it to progress

The Jets play 16 in 31....tell me another team that plays 16 in March and if you count April, it is 21 games in 40 days NEVER getting off more than one day.

Twelve of the twenty-one are at home. I don't think  they will make the playoffs regardless of their schedule but their schedule is horrendous.

They really haven't showed me they can play with any consistently this season. I don't know why.

Their goaltending needs to be better and hopefully with Helle it will be but there are too many good teams in their division ahead of them. I really hope I am wrong and wish they would go on  a tear and light it up but I don't see that happening. I'm also not saying they played really poorly in Chicago because I don't think they did. They are playing undisciplined and there are quite a few of their players not playing up to expectations.

We are a -9 in the goals for and against and the GAA this season is too high. Overall D is poor and not one of the top 3 lines has been consistent. Scheif's has been really good but not consistent. The 4th line isn't played enough to say really. We need a LHD and a top 6 LW would be nice too. We'll be contenders but not this year and probably not next either.

They won't count themselves out yet and they shouldn't.

They have a chance but realistically, I can't see them making the playoffs.

It's not the end of the world. Remember, if not for Pavs incredible goaltending late last season, we don't make them last year either.

I'd really like to see what Armia and Ehlers could do with some skilled players and also what Lipon could do on the 4th line.

Lowry's lack of progression REALLY hurt the Jets this year as they were hoping for so much more out of him. If he continued on his upward curve, he is still the 3rd line center and things are much better.

Copp should be promoted to the third line, guy has some skill and basically is the reason the 4th line is as good as they are (they are pretty good, they just don't play enough). Put Copp with a guy with some scoring ability like Ehlers and perhaps that helps.

??,Copp,Ehlers <--- 3rd line. Maybe Lowry on the left side there since he and copp seem to have some chemistry. 

Bump Burmi and Thorburn to the 4th line.

Make a decision on Ladd and Buff sooner rather than later.

Offer Ladd your best offer, if he doesn't sign, trade him. Same with Buff, offer him your best and final offer, doesn't sign, Trade him.

Copp should be promoted to the third line, guy has some skill and basically is the reason the 4th line is as good as they are (they are pretty good, they just don't play enough). Put Copp with a guy with some scoring ability like Ehlers and perhaps that helps.

??,Copp,Ehlers <--- 3rd line. Maybe Lowry on the left side there since he and copp seem to have some chemistry. 

Bump Burmi and Thorburn to the 4th line.

Make a decision on Ladd and Buff sooner rather than later.

Offer Ladd your best offer, if he doesn't sign, trade him. Same with Buff, offer him your best and final offer, doesn't sign, Trade him.

Exactly, find out what we are doing with them and do it already. Holding on too much longer isn't doing anyone any good.

Personally, I think it's time to move on from the current core and transition to the younger one. Keep Wheeler and Little around since they are on friendly somewhat long term contracts, Think you need a few vets around. Give Wheeler the C. Transition tho to Scheif,Ehlers and the younger guys. Bring up and play Armia and Lipon, Maybe De Leo, who is having quite a good season with the Moose, Trade Buff Ladd,Toby even for picks (1st round 2016 picks) and prospects (almost ready or even ready prospects) preferably a LHD like Theodore or maybe Pouliot from Pitt. Go get Hamonic from the NYI, if it means you have to trade Myers plus Burmi, do it. 

Build around Wheeler,Little but more so Scheif,Ehlers,Lowry,Copp,Trouba,Hamonic.... 

I think after 5 years and 1 playoff appearance, it's pretty safe to say that the current veteran group just can't get it done, they will never be more than a bubble team with the current veteran leadership of ladd and buff, they show up when they want too... I'd still try to sign Ladd but i wouldn't give him 6.5 million a year, if he would settle for 6 x 6 i'd do it.. or even 7 x 5 i'd do it... but anything more, Nope. Trade him. Buff needs to go. Stuart? not sure, he's married to a true north employee but... he should probably either be benched or maybe transition to a coaching role or a 7th d man role. Time to move on. Pav = traded or bought out this summer. 

I'm not suggesting we tank for a top pick but... if we get the top pick in the draft or a top 3 pick... that helps too. 

Imagine Austin Mathews, Jacob Chychrun (LHD) or one of the other top picks on the team... throw in Roslovic who lots of people feel is just about NHL ready and Kyle Connor and you have a pretty good young group to build around. 

NYI are going to be in the playoffs... but could use scoring.  I predict - Buff, Perrault, Armia for Hamonic, Dal Colle and a 1st - at the trade deadline

I could see it. Not sure about Perreault but... something similar i think could work for sure. 

Jets are 5 points out of the playoffs, but fun fact... 5 points out of being 30th in the league.

Time to make changes. 

Writing probably on the wall for both Buff and Ladd, one won't sign and the other supposedly has not had any talks, if this is the case the Jets cannot risk these guys getting injured and being out for the rest of the season, they'll lose both for nothing or be forced to signed them for some not friendly contracts. If they won't signed to a contract the Jets are comfortable with Chevy must trade both ASAP for the good of the team and move on with Wheeler Scheifele and Trouba as the main players and leaders. 

Trades don't typically happen until closer to the trade deadline because the buyers are typically cap or close to the cap teams, and the later in the season you can wait the less remaining salary they have to fit under the cap.

Buff's cap hit is $5.2, Ladd is $4.4M.  30 games in, that is 37% of the season so 63% of their salaries left.  $3.3M for Buff and $2.8M for Ladd.

Now go here http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams?year=2016 sort by cap space and see how many contenders can actually afford these guys right now.  Not many who you would consider sure fire contenders right now.

They won't be traded till later in the season until their remaining cap hit goes down or some bubble teams decide they are in a position to make a push.

At the trade deadline, there are about 20 games left or 24% of the salary.  That is $1.25M for Buff and $1.1M for Ladd.

Of course you can always retain some salary but what you get now won't be the teams "best offer".  Especially once the deadline heats up and you pit two buyers against one another.

I would wait unless it is an offer you can't pass up.

Personally, I think it's time to move on from the current core and transition to the younger one. Keep Wheeler and Little around since they are on friendly somewhat long term contracts, Think you need a few vets around. Give Wheeler the C. Transition tho to Scheif,Ehlers and the younger guys. Bring up and play Armia and Lipon, Maybe De Leo, who is having quite a good season with the Moose, Trade Buff Ladd,Toby even for picks (1st round 2016 picks) and prospects (almost ready or even ready prospects) preferably a LHD like Theodore or maybe Pouliot from Pitt. Go get Hamonic from the NYI, if it means you have to trade Myers plus Burmi, do it. 

Build around Wheeler,Little but more so Scheif,Ehlers,Lowry,Copp,Trouba,Hamonic.... 

I think after 5 years and 1 playoff appearance, it's pretty safe to say that the current veteran group just can't get it done, they will never be more than a bubble team with the current veteran leadership of ladd and buff, they show up when they want too... I'd still try to sign Ladd but i wouldn't give him 6.5 million a year, if he would settle for 6 x 6 i'd do it.. or even 7 x 5 i'd do it... but anything more, Nope. Trade him. Buff needs to go. Stuart? not sure, he's married to a true north employee but... he should probably either be benched or maybe transition to a coaching role or a 7th d man role. Time to move on. Pav = traded or bought out this summer. 

I'm not suggesting we tank for a top pick but... if we get the top pick in the draft or a top 3 pick... that helps too. 

Imagine Austin Mathews, Jacob Chychrun (LHD) or one of the other top picks on the team... throw in Roslovic who lots of people feel is just about NHL ready and Kyle Connor and you have a pretty good young group to build around. 

I agree with a lot this. if Buff and Ladd aren't going to sign for reasonable term/cash contracts, trade them to a team that will and a team that will send back some nice picks/prospects. I'd go as far as 7.5m per year for 5 years for Buff but wouldn't give 6x6 for Ladd. He doesn't bring enough to the table to garner that cash. 6x6 is at the very outside of what he should get. I think a LOT of people on here don't realize just how much Buff will get in a trade. Theodore, Chychrun, Pouliot would all look great on the Jets roster. 

The Isles would never ship a 1st, Hamonic and Dal Colle for Buff, Perreault and Armia. They wouldn't trade Hamonic for Buff do you think they would trade Dal Colle and a 1st for Perreault and Armia? I'd really like to see Okposo come over with Hamonic or Kreider form the Rangers.

What about Kreider (RFA next year)and Macdonagh for Myers, Lemieux, Armia and a 1st in 2017?

Then send Buff, Ladd and Burmi to the Isles for Hamonic and Okposo (UFA next year). We'd be trading over 18m (this year's value) for about (14m this year's value). I'd give Okposo the 5.5 or 6 he will be asking for and Kreider about 4.5-5m he is going to ask for. We'd be giving up a lot of team identity and youth but we would be getting back quality players that play hockey the right way.

Kreider Little Wheeler

Perreault Scheif Okposo

Ehlers Copp Stafford

Petan Lowry Thorbs

Mcdonagh Trouba

Enstrom Hamonic

Stuart/Morrisey Postma

Helle Pavs/Hutch

That's the problem Chevy created by not signing them to extensions during the off season. Will it work out for him nobody knows and Rich is right there are not to many dance partners at the moment. Injuries scare me but a season ending injury to these guys would be devastating no picks no players in return nothing except the possibility of signing them to what they want if they want. It would be so much easier if they could go on a winning streak but that's not going to happen so i will wait and hope for a decent returned.

Let's not forget, if it takes 13m to sign Buff and Ladd and we don't sign them, we can still try to replace them on the UFA market. RFA market will be interesting in 2016 too. Lots of teams up against the cap needing to sign important young players. Pitt and the Ducks might lose some young players.