Week 11 - Tor.@Ham - Edm.@Cal. Monday Sept. 7

Mr Dee

Did BC win because of what Beck did or didn't do? Or did they win because of the suckiness of Montreal's QBing?

John Beck - 14-22 for 114 yards. 2 interceptions ---- Tanner Marsh - 16-30 for 103 yards. 5 interceptions, 1 fumble

Andrew Harris 21 carries for 65 yards -------- Tyrell Sutton 7 carries for 88 yards

This game showed that, although not possible, it was quite deserving that both teams should have lost. Nobody should have benefited from that performance. Think of poor S. Logan who had a dynamic return game of 246 yards that should have helped any team win...but no, poor QBing can kill you. And where have I seen that before?

you know what came into my head when I watched this game: The Blue Bombers aren't totally screwed. They still have a chance.

Montreal's defensive backfield had some familiar names on the jerseys. 

I saw Bighill fall down on a running play when the runner gave a little deke. Before I saw the name I said to my wife "that guy is going to have a hard time sticking on the team playing like that." Just wow. He spun around, did a curtsy and sat down.  

There are a lot of bad teams out there this year. 

you know what came into my head when I watched this game: The Blue Bombers aren't totally screwed. They still have a chance.

I saw Bighill fall down on a running play when the runner gave a little deke. Before I saw the name I said to my wife "that guy is going to have a hard time sticking on the team playing like that." Just wow. He spun around, did a curtsy and sat down.  

Funny, Elemimian and Bighill have looked very ordinary this year. The premier teams seem to be Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton, and at the other end of the scale are the Riders. Everyone else is strung out between- mediocre on good days.

Mid up the dle

Edmonton at Calgary:

Calgary and Edmonton meet on Labour Day for the 34th year in a row and the 45th time in the last 47 years (only the 1973 and 1981 CFL schedules did not have this classic holiday matchup). Since 1949 they have played on Labour Day Weekend 54 times with Edmonton winning 29 of them, Calgary 23, and one tie.

- Grant Shaw out (injured)- Sean Whyte in.

- There was still no sign of recently acquired American OL Brian Simmons (for the conditional Winnipeg 7th round pick), who is expected to arrive on Saturday ... Canadian DT Eddie Steele continued to work at right guard with the first-team offensive line for the second day in a row Friday.

- Dan Federkeil (Stamps) said he'd sit down and view the practice film to evaluate his mobility before making a final decision, with the Coach, about Monday's tilt.

- The Stamps have signed 36 year old Ken-Yon Rambo to a contract. A one day pact…to enable him to retire a Stampeder.

The Esks will also have this added motivation: they haven’t beaten the Stamps in 11 games (10 regular season, one playoff) since Nov. 13, 2011. That’s four years of futility against one opponent.

James Franklin will start on Labour Day against the Calgary Stampeders and will likely get another start a week Saturday in the Canadian Football League rematch in Edmonton while veteran QB Mike Reilly gets up to game speed. Mr. Reilly moved well in his first full day of practice since blowing out his left knee in the season opener at the end of June and got a fairly even share of the repetitions with his substitute, Mr. Franklin.

Toronto at Hamilton:

- Hamilton and Toronto at 6-3 will face off for first and with a win the Tiger-Cats would capture the season series. They start a set of back-to-back games this week, their first since October 2013 when Hamilton swept the pair of contests. It will be their 45th Labour Day Weekend meeting since 1950.  The rematch is next Friday night in Toronto, but so much will be based on what plays out on Labour Day. A win by Hamilton gives the Ticats the season-series edge in the event of a tiebreaker. A win by Toronto sets the stage for the tiebreaking differential.

- will Hamilton try an onside kick again?

- look for Cha Owens to play on Monday.

- same with starting L. tackle Bruce Campbell.

- R.Ray is back practising.(third-teamer)

Coaching Changes: In their first game replacement coaches have gone 26-31 (.456). This week’s change by Saskatchewan is the 9th in-season head coaching change in the CFL since 2006 and the first with more than one in a year since 2008. 

First Career Game Coaches: For the 30 coaches (like Bob Dyce) who took over with it being their first game as lead man their record has been just 9-21. No first-time head coach has won taking over in mid-season since Don Sutherin in 1994.

Roughriders: Are making their 5th mid-season change since 1956. They have won their next game after the coaching change on 3 out of the previous 4 occasions (2011, 1991 & 1978). It is the first time they have installed a first-time coach since 1983. In the previous four years after their changes the Roughriders have gone – 1978: 4-5-1, 1983: 4-6, 1991: 5-6 & 2011: 4-6.

And goodbye $1.5 million after the dismissal of both GM and Coach.

Player Highlights

- Eric Rogers: 9 receiving TDs in his first 11 career games - #2 all-time behind Curtis Mayfield’s 12 in 1994.
- Boris Bede: Has made 22 of his first 24 career FG attempts thus far to lead the CFL.
- Paul McCallum: Capped an incredible streak of consecutive converts made at 802 missing only from the new 32-yard distance.
- Andrew Harris: Leading the CFL in rushing and yards from scrimmage despite playing only 8 games thus far before last night.
- Trevor Harris: A 6-3 mark for Toronto and the highest passer rating in the CFL at 112.7; he leads with a 74.4% completion rate.
- Zach Collaros: #1 among QBs in Net offence, TD% and Points per drive led.
- Emmanuel Davis: Three interception returns for a TD and 153 return yards in total.
- Henry Burris: On pace for 5,008 passing yards and now ranks #5 in all-time QB wins as a starter leading Ottawa to a 5-4 record.
- Adam Bighill & Deon Lacey: Lead the CFL in tackles with 61 defensive and 12 special teams stops respectively before last night.
- Kendial Lawrence: #1 in combined yards with 1,446 and on pace for almost 3,000 yards in 2015.
- Rakeem Cato: Stepped in for an injured Jonathan Crompton and as a rookie has led Montreal to a 4-4 mark in 8 starts.

Special Teams Units Overall: Eight blocked kicks in 40 games.

Funny, Elemimian and Bighill have looked very ordinary this year. The premier teams seem to be Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton, and at the other end of the scale are the Riders. Everyone else is strung out between- mediocre on good days.

Elemimian is hurt and Bighill shares the lead league in tackles...what games have you been watching?