Windows 10

You don't have to wait if you don't want to.  You can download the ISO, burn a DVD and install that way.

BTW 1: Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to share updates. Change the default in update advanced settings to PCs on my Local Network. (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/windows-10-steals-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-updates/?utm_content=buffere8d55&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

BTW 2: Use the Privacy Settings to change the default behaviours to make your Windows 10 way more secure. (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/?utm_content=buffere88f1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

I signed up to receive Windows 10 but am still waiting for the notification email that it's ready to download. So......I wait......

I never got an email. I just clicked the windows symbol in the toolbar to see if it was ready. And there was a button from there to download the update (if it's not ready, it gives you a message that it will let you know somehow when it's ready).

My 2008 Macbook hasn't been supported by Apple for three years now. Because Apple aggressively obsoletes its software, I can't use anything newer than 2011ish.

My 2008 hand-built desktop boots into Linux mostly and windows 7 for games. Everything runs fine on it, though of course I'm not playing Crysis or any other really modern games.

Never buying an apple computer again. I like my computers to be supported for way longer than they want to support them.

Aside from web surfing is their really any reason to own a mac product?   

Being a programmer and also a video gamer....  I think Linux has 10 times the compatibility and support that a Mac does and both don't even come close to a pc?  

You don't have to wait if you don't want to.  You can download the ISO, burn a DVD and install that way.

BTW 1: Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to share updates. Change the default in update advanced settings to PCs on my Local Network. (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/windows-10-steals-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-updates/?utm_content=buffere8d55&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

BTW 2: Use the Privacy Settings to change the default behaviours to make your Windows 10 way more secure. (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/?utm_content=buffere88f1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)

Wow, just installed 10.  What a bunch of wacky settings.  I'm not even sure I got them all.  Seriously though, I wish they would make a windows for their mobile devices, and one for their desktop and laptops.  A lot of these things are more for mobile devices and not even needed on a desktop.

Aside from web surfing is their really any reason to own a mac product?

Being a programmer and also a video gamer.... I think Linux has 10 times the compatibility and support that a Mac does and both don't even come close to a pc?

Garage Band is a helluva product for its niche. I don't think there's a non-Mac GB equivalent.

That's the only thing I can think of...

Yeah, it's a lot better then Win8 or 8.1.  It has some weirdness to it though.  Like when I watch something on it, I can't double click the screen to make it full screen.  I have to click the full screen button.  And all the crap you have to turn off.

I thought someone said you had to sign in with a MS ID in order to reload it.  I upgraded first, now I want to install it fresh, but I read you need a MS ID to install it fresh even though it doesn't make you create one when you upgrade.  Anyone know where you create one on the machine?  I haven't had a chance to look it up yet.

From what i understand you *have* to upgrade the machine first. It them registers your hardware with Microsoft.

At that point you can make the ISO and then do a clean install.

What is unclear is if you need to use a third party program to rip your Microsoft id (product key) and of that's needed when installing from the ISO.

Also apparently since the hardware is tied into the product key, or you swap motherboards or other parts... It may not activate windows with a clean install.