Windows 10

Well what do you think? I got the bits early Tuesday(0130)  and sort of cheated and updated this evening. Even made my own ISO too.

The menu although not as easier to peruse as 7 is speedier then 8.1 + Classic Shell.

Gone is the "modern": screen and the apps run on the desktop although I hear if you have a touchscreen it's still there. But hey you can always add Classic Shell to 10.

Beefs:

Notification icon in the tray which stays lit even when you're done with whatever popped up.

Cortana requires MS email

Silly blue lines under running programs on the taskbar and faint line in bottom right where the show desktop section is.

Why does MS hate colours? Office 2013 is 3 shades of grey and the titles bars in 10 are white.

Installed programs do not show up right away when you hit the Start button and type the name of the program.

Well what do you think? I got the bits early Tuesday(0130)  and sort of cheated and updated this evening. Even made my own ISO too.

The menu although not as easier to peruse as 7 is speedier then 8.1 + Classic Shell.

Gone is the "modern": screen and the apps run on the desktop although I hear if you have a touchscreen it's still there. But hey you can always add Classic Shell to 10.

Beefs:

Notification icon in the tray which stays lit even when you're done with whatever popped up.

Cortana requires MS email

Silly blue lines under running programs on the taskbar and faint line in bottom right where the show desktop section is.

Why does MS hate colours? Office 2013 is 3 shades of grey and the titles bars in 10 are white.

Haven't tried Win10 yet.  But don't get me started on Office 2013 and it's atrocious colors.  Uggh.  Hate is too soft of a word that I have in mind for it.  You'd think they were going backwards or something.

Lol Mac...

I was resistant to getting it.  GF wanted it.  We went through about 3-4 PC's in three years.  Got a Mac and have had it for 7 years.  Only issue was the hard drive needed to be replaced. 

Nothing to be ashamed about,  it's refreshing to see more ladies wearing the pants in the relationship :)

That being said I have no idea how one could go through so many PC's...  I've been using mine since Windows 7 was released and I use my computer non stop for all sorts of bad things and have never had any issues.   

Windows 8 was god awful and I definitely could see why anyone would switch away since even with the classic shell it's absolutely terrible to use on a desktop.  

I know more people who have given up on PC's and switched to Macs and are glad they did. My parents and siblings actually use both thoigh probably have more Macs then PC's now.

To each his own. I love the ease of use with Mac

But if windows 10 is as good as they claim Id take a long look at a PC next time I need a computer.

I know more people who have given up on PC's and switched to Macs and are glad they did. My parents and siblings actually use both thoigh probably have more Macs then PC's now.

But if windows 10 is as good as they claim Id take a long look at a PC next time I need a computer.

Usually mac fans are more vocal and like the announce that they switched over and comment on how great macs are because they want to justify paying triple the price for a name brand.  

I like to compare it to the women who try to justify spending 250 dollars on a pair of jeans that look and work exactly the same as a regular 30 dollar pair.

I rarely ever have issues with my PC or laptop at home.  I think I've had one hard drive die on me in 10 years (although that's just luck of the draw most of the times).  Heck I rarely have hardware issues with anyone at work either.  And usually the software issues are because people do stupid things to screw up their machines.

I tend to find people who have issues with PC's are the ones who turn them off and on all the time.  Sometimes multiple times a day.  Or the ones that like to toss around their laptops like a frisbee.  With the switch to SD drives it makes chances of failure a lot less.  At least the ones we use.  And the ones with software issues are usually the ones that like to install all this "freeware" and games that are out there.  Or go to sites that are questionable.

I never used mine for gaming or anything weird.  Always left it on.  Three died.  The last one, I should say wasnt dead but something happened to it after some sort of microsoft download.  And MS helpfully erased my hard drive of absolutely everything.  So the computer still worked I guess.  That was when we decided to try a Mac.  And aside from replacing the disc drive once, zero issues.

Im sure there are plenty of people who have had Mac issues and plenty of people who have had PC issues.  Its just a matter of preference.  I use a PC at work ofcourse.  I use the Mac at home.  I cant say which I prefer.  Im more comfortable with the Mac now.  I mainly use it for digitizing and editing video.  if I had to replace it, i'd lean towards Mac just due to familiarity I think.  But I'd consider a PC.

Here's a question.  I have two external hard drive's for my Mac, filled with video files, pics etc.  If I bought a PC tomorrow, I couldnt plug those HD's into the PC and access those files...could I?

I never used mine for gaming or anything weird.  Always left it on.  Three died.  The last one, I should say wasnt dead but something happened to it after some sort of microsoft download.  And MS helpfully erased my hard drive of absolutely everything.  So the computer still worked I guess.  That was when we decided to try a Mac.  And aside from replacing the disc drive once, zero issues.

Im sure there are plenty of people who have had Mac issues and plenty of people who have had PC issues.  Its just a matter of preference.  I use a PC at work ofcourse.  I use the Mac at home.  I cant say which I prefer.  Im more comfortable with the Mac now.  I mainly use it for digitizing and editing video.  if I had to replace it, i'd lean towards Mac just due to familiarity I think.  But I'd consider a PC.

Here's a question.  I have two external hard drive's for my Mac, filled with video files, pics etc.  If I bought a PC tomorrow, I couldnt plug those HD's into the PC and access those files...could I?

Please explain.

Please explain.

Trying to remember the details.  The computer would not boot up.  Called MS help line since it was some sort of update that seemed to lead to the issue.  The guy on the phone, who did not fill me with confidence but assured me he was an expert said he had to format the HD.  I said well wont that erase everything on my HD and he said yes but they were going to move my content into a protected section.  So he walks me through doing it and I said "I really dont think this has actually done anything."  He promised, vowed, guaranteed it had.  Format the HD.  Whoops, everything is gone.  He ended the conversation with "Well, I really dont know."

My own fault for trusting him I guess.

Apple products are for old people and women...our PC laptop had been phenomenal for several years now, and our Android (LG) phones are the best piece of tech I've ever owned...

That seems counter to conventional wisdom. lol

They're made to be "user friendly" (I hate that -- my parents love it with their iPhones) and "trendy" (most women's only concern with tech)......

Funny how a Windows 10 thread turns into a Mac vs Windows debate.  What? No love for Linux?

I've been testing Windows 10 since the first public Beta and I moved my daily use machine over to it yesterday. Only problems so far have to do with Ubuntu & Suse Linux under Hyper-V.  Kinda esoteric so I don't blame Microsoft for it and I'm sure it will be fixed by the end of the day. If you're a Windows user, I'd back everything up or use the cloud for storage and update in a week or two once the major problems have been found and fixed. If you find it's running slower than it used to, turn off some or all of the live tiles.

I like the Edge browsers speed, but can't switch over to it without losing all my Chrome/Firefox extensions/apps. 

BTW: Make sure you've got lots of free space before you try to upgrade.  It says it needs 40G, but I couldn't get it to work in a VM with that much free space.  Added an additional 20G to the partition and it worked just fine. Really bad error message too.

Usually mac fans are more vocal and like the announce that they switched over and comment on how great macs are because they want to justify paying triple the price for a name brand.

I like to compare it to the women who try to justify spending 250 dollars on a pair of jeans that look and work exactly the same as a regular 30 dollar pair.

I own a PC laptop it was like 350 dollars which in mac equivalence I think I'd get a wirless mouse and keyboard for my money. I may be the wrong person to ask though since I really only use it to write papers, use excel and think or swim. I can't see buying a 1200 dollar computer to do that but who knows.

But I'm gonna be dammed if I'll let you disparage hot girls in expensive tight jeans. That's the reason I get up in the morning and they aren't gonna look as good in jeans from old navy.

Please explain.

Trying to remember the details.  The computer would not boot up.  Called MS help line since it was some sort of update that seemed to lead to the issue.  The guy on the phone, who did not fill me with confidence but assured me he was an expert said he had to format the HD.  I said well wont that erase everything on my HD and he said yes but they were going to move my content into a protected section.  So he walks me through doing it and I said "I really dont think this has actually done anything."  He promised, vowed, guaranteed it had.  Format the HD.  Whoops, everything is gone.  He ended the conversation with "Well, I really dont know."

My own fault for trusting him I guess.

Gotcha.  I don't know a lot of people who call MS for help, which is why I was curious when you said that.

Also, what a tool he was.

I own a PC laptop it was like 350 dollars which in mac equivalence I think I'd get a wirless mouse and keyboard for my money. I may be the wrong person to ask though since I really only use it to write papers, use excel and think or swim. I can't see buying a 1200 dollar computer to do that but who knows.

But I'm gonna be dammed if I'll let you disparage hot girls in expensive tight jeans. That's the reason I get up in the morning and they aren't gonna look as good in jeans from old navy.

Screw jeans.  Yoga pants are where it's at.

Lol I was just poking fun. Macs are ok and for basic net use it does the job.

Every work place uses PCs that are being used 8 hours a day and work perfectly fine. These days computers last for a long time.

Tablets on the other hand....

Back to Windows 10... I think Cortana may be the biggest and possible best new part of it. Also Edge is apparently faster then Chrome so it will be interesting to see how it evolves down the road.