[MERGED] Pre-Season Game 2 (Depth Chart etc)

Noeller

I guess, Yantz fate depends on what's the Bomber's plan on Marve and Portis.

It is possible that their plan @ #4 has been Jordan Yantz all along and that the battle for a QB position has been between Marve and Portis.

That's a possibility I guess. It appears that Janz will dress on Friday night. With Willie getting the first half, that leaves little time for the others to battle it out, and virtually no time for Janz. I'm thinking if he doesn't play, then he will either be cut or put on the PR if there's room.
Aside from assigning him a different name to throw off the opposing teams, I can see the Bombers following the traditional path and releasing the Canadian QB (Yantz) because...well what's the point, right?

But the Bombers and Walters/O'Shea are working a little differently than others we've seen and I can dare to dream.

You know I feel that these guys are different. My daughter used to work in the stadium kitchen and O'Shea asked her how the players treated her at the buffet lines. He explained to her that how the players treat staff tells a lot about players. (my daughter says that eating meat is usually on the players mind). The previous coach she never saw.  

That's a really neat story, for sure...and shows a lot about MOS. On the other end of the spectrum, I've heard of at least one business-side staffer who's quit because of Wade, fwiw....

Meh...that happens in all businesses.  In many instances there's turnover when you have a changeover in management.  Usually it's a case of staff that were extremely loyal to the previous regime and have a hard time accepting the changes implemented by the new regime.  And I think we can all agree that changes were needed on both sides of the organization.  I read absolutely nothing into that.      

I remember a company that I was working with and there was a complete changeover in senior management (CEO/CFO/VP Bus Development and VP Admin).  All employees were interviewed soon after the changeover and were asked one question "Do you believe that this company was well run and is moving in the right direction" All employees who answered "Yes" were let go.  It caused short term issues but in the end all the employees that were kept, were 100% onside with the new direction the company was moving towards.   

It is possible that their plan @ #4 has been Jordan Yantz all along and that the battle for a QB position has been between Marve and Portis.

Keeping a qb you're not giving reps to? That just seems a dumb idea when trying to develop a player.

But that's just the point.

If you've decided to make him your 4th QB already, then you have to make a decision on the other 2 QBs..which one to keep..

How? By splitting their reps and seeing how they do.

Yantz gets his work in practice and his development, as a CFL-ready QB, may not be as far behind as some think.

Is it a dumb idea, or forward thinking?

It's a theory.

I just don't see it as a good idea at all. There is no benefit to a canadian qb so why decide on a guy who is likely behind the others in terms of development anyway and not give him reps? What if it turns out he's a terrible qb at this level? Wouldn't it be better to figure that out now than in the event they ever get that far down the depth chart? If they made that decision it's a bad decision. 

Yantz because has a strong accurate arm & good football smarts ... could develop into a Russ Jackson

Keeping a qb you're not giving reps to? That just seems a dumb idea when trying to develop a player.

If you've decided to make him your 4th QB already, then you have to make a decision on the other 2 QBs..which one to keep..

Yantz gets his work in practice and his development, as a CFL-ready QB, may not be as far behind as some think.

It's a theory.

I just don't see it as a good idea at all. There is no benefit to a canadian qb so why decide on a guy who is likely behind the others in terms of development anyway and not give him reps? What if it turns out he's a terrible qb at this level? Wouldn't it be better to figure that out now than in the event they ever get that far down the depth chart? If they made that decision it's a bad decision. 

Yantz because has a strong accurate arm & good football smarts ... could develop into a Russ Jackson

In today's CFL Russ Jackson couldn't even develop into a Russ Jackson.

The only thing that gives me pause and makes me wonder if they'd keep Yantz is that Walters/MOS have a major jones-ing for NIs. If they could start an entire roster of Canadians, they'd do it, just to prove a point. Hell, their talk today of starting 9 NIs possible, terrifies me...

I think there is something to this statement.  Walters may be trying to prove a point, although it's hard to say what exactly that point is.  The peculiar thing to me is that they signed Yantz to a 3 year contract, so I suspect they intend to keep him around even if it is on the PR. 

It's a theory.

Portis and Marve because of their physical attributes could develop into *insert HOF qb here* blah blah blah blah. Giving people jobs without having them face off against their peers is just a bad idea all around. It's just giving a guy a job because of his passport which does nothing at the QB position. I don't want a feel good story at qb, I want the best players at every position unless there is a ratio reason for it.