Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Oh for sure, I saw all three SW movies in theaters. They brought them back over and over again.  I could also count on the Park Theatre in Wasagaming to have re-runs of popular movies each summer. 

well yeah because I guess  full VHS's weren't a thing yet, I'm sure alot of studios kept re-releasing their best movies just to make back the budget. Disney used to do do that with their (financial) lesser efforts like Fantasia and Bambi. And that trend  stopped when home videos became a thing (heck I remember when they re-released the little mermaid in theaters, I later found out it was because they wanted to deter people from seeing Don Bluth's Anastasia (didn't work, people still saw Anastasia, I actually saw that in theaters as well with my resbite worker, and well now that the film is kind of a disney property now, I kind of hope disney won't touch it, the story about the Romanov's is well, the film is pretty inaccurate)

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

I remember going to see Star Trek, The Voyage Home at the Met as a crossing guard with crossing guards from around the city. That was fun.

I remember going to movies at the City Place, when they had a theatre, eating with my step-father at Taco Time. We saw Ferris Bueller's, Short Circuit, and more there ~'86-'88. 

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! 

Me too! That was such a great program. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Just now, iHeart said:

well yeah because I guess  full VHS's weren't a thing yet, I'm sure alot of studios kept re-releasing their best movies just to make back the budget. Disney used to do do that with their (financial) lesser efforts like Fantasia and Bambi. And that trend  stopped when home videos became a thing (heck I remember when they re-released the little mermaid in theaters, I later found out it was because they wanted to deter people from seeing Don Bluth's Anastasia (didn't work, people still saw Anastasia, I actually saw that in theaters as well with my resbite worker, and well now that the film is kind of a disney property now, I kind of hope disney won't touch it, the story about the Romanov's is well, the film is pretty inaccurate)

Anyone remember when Christmas was a Star Wars thing?  Theyd always be played at the Holidays repeatedly for two or three days.  And for awhile that was the only way to see them outside the theater.

I still enjoy when the US holidays come around and you see the US channels (some of them) air a full day of films to take advantage of people being at home.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont even recall City Place theater though its possible we went there as kids.  

As a teenager, we went to the Convention Centre theater for a time...they did like a Friday Midnight showing of an older films.  A group of us would go.  I remember it was always freezing cold in there.

Went to Cinema City a lot when it was on Plaza Dr and was a cheap second run theater, perfect for us young folk with no money (late teens/early 20's).  And became almost exclusively a VIP customer when Cinema City moved to McGillivray and became VIP.

Just recently, I re-discovered Grant Park which is an amazing theater.  All reserved seats with big easy-chair style leather sears that have power recline.  Fantastic!

PS: Steinbach has a great theater and you wouldnt think so.  One screen so they get films late but they have easy chairs, love seats etc.  Super comfy.

I had no idea that City Place and RBC Convention centre used to have theaters, but then again I'm old enough to remember when there used to be a Famous Players near where MTS currently is

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! 

Me too! That was such a great program. 

How old are you guys?  I was a crossing guard in grade 5 and 6 (87/88) and I dont recall this at all.  I remember going to Saints Roller Rink for free on Tuesdays as a crossing guard (School Patrol).  Maybe different divisions had different incentives?  I won Patrol of the Month and got to have breakfast at McDonalds with a cop.  I was also runner up as Patrol of the Year...and was Patrol Captain (got a badge!!)

4 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I had no idea that City Place and RBC Convention centre used to have theaters, but then again I'm old enough to remember when there used to be a Famous Players near where MTS currently is

Oh yeah- the northstar theatre! Saw Batman (1989) there.

LOL speaking of Batman and Northstar Cinema:

large.JPG?1338148360

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2271

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

How old are you guys?  I was a crossing guard in grade 5 and 6 (87/88) and I dont recall this at all.  I remember going to Saints Roller Rink for free on Tuesdays as a crossing guard (School Patrol).  Maybe different divisions had different incentives?  I won Patrol of the Month and got to have breakfast at McDonalds with a cop.  I was also runner up as Patrol of the Year...and was Patrol Captain (got a badge!!)

43 - Crossing Guard in 85 and 86.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I cant say for sure but Im pretty sure mine was one of the Star Wars films (Empire, perhaps?).

Me too.

Saw it at the Capitol Theatre- Mum took me to pizza place before and then went to go see Empire Strikes Back.

large.JPG?1338146093

capitol theatre

capitol theatre

capitol theatre screen

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

41 - Crossing guard in 86 and 87. Grade 4 and 5. 

Im 42.  We only had Grade 5/6 as guards.  Does anywhere do it anymore?  Its all adults now.

I remember for years, when I'd drive past a school (especially my old school as I still live in the neighborhood) seeing the kids as guards and it was so lackadaisical compared to when my group did it (and were we ever THAT small?).  We were trained to hold that flag wrapped up, straight up behind our backs, standing at attention etc.  These kids were lollygagging about...disgraceful! lol

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im 42.  We only had Grade 5/6 as guards.  Does anywhere do it anymore?  Its all adults now.

I remember for years, when I'd drive past a school (especially my old school as I still live in the neighborhood) seeing the kids as guards and it was so lackadaisical compared to when my group did it (and were we ever THAT small?).  We were trained to hold that flag wrapped up, straight up behind our backs, standing at attention etc.  These kids were lollygagging about...disgraceful! lol

We had to do grade 4 and 5. When I was in grade 4, there was only one grade ahead of us. 

Our school was English but changed to French. After grade 1, the English students moved to another school. We had our grade and one ahead of us. So, when I was in Grade 2, there was a Grade 1 class,a Grade 3 class and no other. The next year, it went to grade 4, then 5, then 6. 

Yes, they still have kids. I saw them two weeks ago outside. One boy was in his gym shorts and t-shirt while it was really cold out there. Dad instincts kicked in and I almost called the school. Didn't but really thought about it. 

37 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Me too.

Saw it at the Capitol Theatre- Mum took me to pizza place before and then went to go see Empire Strikes Back.

large.JPG?1338146093

capitol theatre

capitol theatre

capitol theatre screen

I think I vaguely remember that building, never been inside though, the interior looks nice

On 2018-11-23 at 9:33 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Oh yeah- the northstar theatre! Saw Batman (1989) there.

LOL speaking of Batman and Northstar Cinema:

large.JPG?1338148360

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2271

that was a very interesting read, i had no idea how new that silver city was when I went in there for the first time in early 2000, my respite worker took me to see my dog skip starring Frankie Muniz and both of the Eddies from Frasier (no really)

Edited by iHeart

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I think I vaguely remember that building, never been inside though, the interior looks nice

If I recall correctly it was almost the centerpiece of the "Nashville of the North" proposal.  Some small tour company wanted to buy it...or have the City fix it and gift it to him, and he'd bring in country music acts and tour people here to watch them.  Never went anywhere...

The current WPS HQ is the old Canada Post HQ.  No idea if there was ever a theater there...

well it's just that I could clearly see Cityplace (unless that was actually Eaton's I saw) 

man sometimes I hate the fact that I was born at the end of the 80s I feel like I missed out on some good stuff (heck I already feel like I missed out on the best parts of Sesame Street after watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street)

I'm a little late to this party...  my 6 year old daughter watched Frozen and liked the music but wasn't that obsessed with it.   Aside from the one hit song the move itself is ok but not very memorable.     She was however obsessed with Moana and IMO Moana was a much better all around movie and I wish that they would further expand on that universe over Frozen....

Just now, Brandon said:

I'm a little late to this party...  my 6 year old daughter watched Frozen and liked the music but wasn't that obsessed with it.   Aside from the one hit song the move itself is ok but not very memorable.     She was however obsessed with Moana and IMO Moana was a much better all around movie and I wish that they would further expand on that universe over Frozen....

Ive tried to switch my niece from Frozen to Moana...really just to expand her viewing experience (we try to limit screen time, but Im sure you know how it goes).  I actually like Moana too.  Because my niece is so young I think its the music and movements that attract her.  

Just now, Brandon said:

Yeah I have positive things to say about Moana as well the first thing I thought was "well, Disney is now going to put Lin Manuel Miranda on speed-dial now", considering that he's also involved with Duck Tales and the Upcoming Mary Poppins returns....and also going to work on the music for the Live action Little Mermaid  with Alan Menken

Live action Little Mermaid? That could be really creepy. 

I liked Moana too. I appreciate the fact that Disney has gone out of their way to incorporate women as strong independent characters. Gone are the days of princesses waiting on princes to "save" them. They even turned the story of Rapunzel in a positive way. 

I hope they continue with the Moana universe.