Game 74 : Jets @ Canucks

Slater does two important things take face offs and kill penalties that get you a decent contract in the league. Pardy is another guy that is undervalued in the same way he was on of the best penalty killers on the team. Look how it has turned around since he has been in the lineup every night.

People always forget you NEED Slaters on your team..role players, glue guys.. He's got value.. Just.because he isn't a Wheeler or a Perrault doesn't make him a key cog.. He plays jets hockey.. Tough, tight checking and defensively sound for the most part..

I think people are debating Slater only because the Jets are letting him run out his contract which makes you think the Jets want to get better then him at that position.  I agree that he has value.  People saying Andrew Copp will take his spot, well that's a nice thought but he's a rookie.  He could be a Trouba-style guy that slides right in and plays like a veteran (though we've seen Trouba have some rookie "moments") but there is no guarantee.  I'd rather players fight it out in camp and make those decisions then. 

If the Jets have someone in the system that they know can fill that spot, like O'Dell (not saying him specifically but using him as an example of a guy that has played with the big club) then so be it.  But I wouldnt have a problem with re-signing Slater to a one year deal and if he gets beat out in camp, then he's the 13th forward in the box or trade bait for a low round pick.  I'd rather have a veteran we know then a rookie we dont, to be honest unless there is a reasonable expectation that the rookie is good enough to be an every shift NHL player.