MTS Centre 2015 Upgrades

Jimmy Pop

Email from TNSE this morning providing update on 2015 upgrades to arena, most notably a new scoreboard and ribbon.

True North Sports & Entertainment remains committed to the long term plan of continual improvement to your fan experience in the MTS Centre and the long term development and investment in our team.

We are excited to announce this year’s major new structural renovations, improvements and building upgrades scheduled for completion during the summer of 2015.

Installation of a new High Definition Centre Hung Scoreboard and 360 Degree Power Ring as well as a new state-of-the-art control room will allow the production of High Definition images throughout the MTS Centre.   All of these additions and features are being completed with the intention of improving your Winnipeg Jets game experience.   

Fans will see the installation of new Premium Loge Seating.  These 278 Premium Seats will be accessed through the upper concourse and initially made available to patrons currently sitting in Row 1 of the 300 Level.   Additionally, new seamless glass will be installed in the front row of the 300 Level, replacing the existing mesh railing, providing improved sightlines for 300 Level patrons.  

http://jets.nhl.com/v2/ext/files/mtscentre/MTSC-Building-Enhancements.pdf?camefrom=EMCL_508712_22625798

So does that mean an additional 278 seats will exist?  Or is the capacity remaining the same?  Or decreasing (premium seats tend to take up more space than regular ones)?

278 additional seats.

If I understand what I've heard correctly, they're basically stripping down the current LED ribbon, extending the overhang of the 300 level over the suites a bit and using that space to add 278 more seats. They'll add the new ribbon to the face of those seats.

So does that mean an additional 278 seats will exist?  Or is the capacity remaining the same?  Or decreasing (premium seats tend to take up more space than regular ones)?

278 additional seats.

If I understand what I've heard correctly, they're basically stripping down the current LED ribbon, extending the overhang of the 300 level over the suites a bit and using that space to add 278 more seats. They'll add the new ribbon to the face of those seats.

Danke.

I guess an additional 3000 seats added to the overhang was out of the question.

278 additional seats.

Danke.

Not to mention absurd! :)

Just to keep up with the times. Highly doubt they want an all star game. Why would they. Draft makes sense tho since we are owed one

Why wouldnt the Jets want an All Star Game.  They make money and brings all sort of sponsors and business tycoons to town.

It creates 3 (do they still do the young guns game?) additional events that they can sell tickets to.  What's the average ticket price - $150?  45,000 x 150 = I can think of 6,750,000 reasons why they would want the all star game.

Plus concessions.

Just to keep up with the times. Highly doubt they want an all star game. Why would they. Draft makes sense tho since we are owed one

Why wouldnt the Jets want an All Star Game.  They make money and brings all sort of sponsors and business tycoons to town.

It creates 3 (do they still do the young guns game?) additional events that they can sell tickets to.  What's the average ticket price - $150?  45,000 x 150 = I can think of 6,750,000 reasons why they would want the all star game.

Plus concessions.

$150 for tickets?  You think?  That seems awfully steep.  But really I have no idea.

Plus concessions.

Plus an opportunity to show off their facilities and city to a lot of bigwigs.  You always hear about how the league and sponsors thought of the team and city at these events.  For example, "word" was the league was "blown away" by Columbus this past week.  Thats good press.  A little bit of tourism in the dead of winter is nice too.

We might not be big enough for it but it would be nice to have.  The fact we can draw from the Twin Cities is a bonus.

278 additional seats.

Danke.

Almost as absurd as squeezing an arena into the old Eatons footprint.

"MAIN SCREENS THAT WILL BE 2.5X THE PHYSICAL SIZE AND 3X THE RESOLUTION OF THE EXISTING SYSTEM!"

"FOUR (4) HD 6MM LED SCREENS WITH 720 LINES OF RESOLUTION"

It's 240 res now? :o

278 additional seats.

Danke.

Yeah it totally hasn't worked out.

278 additional seats.

Danke.

"MAIN SCREENS THAT WILL BE 2.5X THE PHYSICAL SIZE AND 3X THE RESOLUTION OF THE EXISTING SYSTEM!"

"FOUR (4) HD 6MM LED SCREENS WITH 720 LINES OF RESOLUTION"

It's 240 res now? :o

I was just reading a non-related argument about how UltraHD is advertised compared to regular HD.  UHD is called 4K whereas HD is called 1080.  But they are different numbers.  But the argument was its still 4000X resolution because of how resolution is calculated (or something).

Im no expert but either the current screens are below SD level or the way resolution is calculated, 720 (which is technically HD) is 3X SD (which is usually measured as 460, I believe).  But again, Im no expert.  I went to Visions and said show me the best TV you have...then I bought the second best one.  lol

Plus concessions.

$150 for tickets?  You think?  That seems awfully steep.  But really I have no idea.

That's entirely an assumption on my part, that they'd charge the same amount for this game as they would a regular season game.  Offered as an inclusion with the season ticket packages, and those that are declined get offered to the waiting list people.  Between the luxury boxes and the 300's the average ticket price for that should be in the $150 range.

I was just reading a non-related argument about how UltraHD is advertised compared to regular HD.  UHD is called 4K whereas HD is called 1080.  But they are different numbers.  But the argument was its still 4000X resolution because of how resolution is calculated (or something).

A 1080 picture would fill up 1/4 of an UltraHD/4K screen since the number of pixels are doubled both horizontally and vertically.

This is from the Columbus Blue Jackets website:

Q: How much are the NHL® All-Star Game and NHL Skills Competition™ Tickets? 

The NHL® All-Star Weekend ticket package is $270 for Lower and Club Level and $195 for seats in the AEP Power Level (Upper Level). The price includes a ticket for both the NHL Skills Competition on Saturday, January 24, 2015 and the NHL All-Star Game on Sunday, January 25, 2015.

and

Q: Will there be single game tickets available for the general public to purchase for the NHL® All-Star Game and/or NHL Skills Competition™?

The NHL® All-Star Game has sold out annually with priority given to the league's corporate sponsors, and the host city's team sponsors, suite holders and season ticket holders. The best way to guarantee the opportunity to purchase NHL® All-Star Game and/or NHL All-Star Skills Competition™ tickets is the purchase of a Blue Jackets Full Season, Half Season or Quarter Season ticket plan.