Shawn Coates former Media Relations WBB

DR. CFL

Just got the call about this. He and I had some mutual media friends, who are all really beat up over this. I met him once, at CountryFest, and ever since we talked a lot on FB and Twitter. A monster supporter of not only pro sports but amateur sports at the CIS level, in Manitoba. A hell of a guy...he'll be missed.

Shawn was an amazing person and he loved his job when he was the media relations director with the Blue Bombers. I had the pleasure to meet and get to know him and he always had a smile on his face. I will never forget many years ago during the Blue Bombers pregame tailgate in the south endzone at the old Canad Inns Stadium he seen me and as always came over to say hi.. He proceeded to say I know you are a big wrestling fan and I have been keeping an eye out for you today. 

That was the game Shawn Michaels was in town to promote a WWF even at Winnipeg Arena and was attending the Bomber game and doing the ceremonial kickoff... Anyway Shawn ended up taking me into a section under the Blue and Gold Club where Shawn was and introduced me to him. We ended up talking and proceeded to have a few beers together before the game. That was a huge highlight in my life talking wrestling with one of the all time greats this was all thanks to Shawn.

Also for years at the start of training camp he would come to me on the first day and hand me a media guide as he knew I loved having those books and reading up on all the players we had in camp that year. 

I have ran into him over the years at Jets games and girls tackle football games and we always caught up with one another

Winnipeg lost an amazing citizen today and he will be missed by many.

Unbelievable to me that Shawn is gone so young.

We first met some 25 years ago at the UofM when I was working for Bison Sports and he was writing for the Manitoban. Our paths crossed many times over the years and I always respected his ability to remember the name of anyone he met. My fondest memory will be of Shawn showing up at my wedding social at 12:30am after whatever event he was working and wanting to by auction tickets etc. We had a good laugh and a quick visit as things were winding down.