Jets @ Coyotes

Coyotes aren't good, They are in the MCEICHEL sweepstakes for sure and if rumors are true are looking to unload some money and go full on rebuild. Guys like Vermette,Yandle,Doan even may not be long for Zona anymore. Jets should beat them, they are better than the Coyotes. 

Jets have lost 4 of 5 now. Hutch in goal for 3 of those I believe. Don't matter who in net if the team in front of him don't show up. Jets owned tonight. Easily could have been 8 9 to 1. Pav made the game closer than it was. Ppl need to stop with the goalie bs. It's the team not just one guy.

Jets have lost 4 of 5 now. Hutch in goal for 3 of those I believe. Don't matter who in net if the team in front of him don't show up. Jets owned tonight. Easily could have been 8 9 to 1. Pav made the game closer than it was. Ppl need to stop with the goalie bs. It's the team not just one guy.

I have no problem blaming Pav but he was not THE problem tonight.

Twitter chatter about the team not playing for pavs. Interesting.

That would be bizarre. Even if some players don't like him, you'd think they could find other reasons to play, maybe like a playoff position.

I agree.  Even if the team plays better for Hutch I cant believe its conscious.  I know Darren Ford was pushing that idea on twitter and seemed very angry last night.  If Im PoMo im not sure who I start next game.  On one hand, if the team plays better with Hutch, for whatever reason, you want the best play happening so go with Hutch.  On the other hand, Pavs was good last night and his team hung him out to dry so he deserves another start.

I think i'd go Pavs in LA and Hutch in Anaheim if only because Hutch seems to rise to the occasion of emotional games.

Absolutely and I do mean that.

I wouldn't suggest Pav is on his own when it comes to improving this team. The frustration I have, whether it's legitimate or not, is the rarity of hearing Pav stole the game for us. I guess my problem is putting elite type standards on him when in fact that would be unfair as he demonstrates being an average serviceable NHL goaltender.  

I absolutely agree with two things:

1 Pavs played well last night

2 Pavs is consistently under-performing on the season.

The good thing about stats is they show you the bigger picture.  And Pavs' Save Percentage simply isnt good enough.

I’m not saying I necessarily disagree with what you wrote, but it is interesting how you say that Pavelec played well last night, but he is consistently underperforming for the season and that his save percentage is an indication of that.

His save percentage last night was .867, which is obviously not good enough.  So then, did he really play well last night?

I was curling last night and watched the game in the lounge after so wasn't paying the closest attention to it.  He made some big saves after the first two power play goals, but were the goals he did let in weak?  Or was the team just playing really poor defense around him?

Looking strictly at the numbers over the last couple of months, Hutch is severely outplaying Pavelec in both save percentage and wins.  

I absolutely agree with two things:

1 Pavs played well last night

2 Pavs is consistently under-performing on the season.

The good thing about stats is they show you the bigger picture.  And Pavs' Save Percentage simply isnt good enough.

I’m not saying I necessarily disagree with what you wrote, but it is interesting how you say that Pavelec played well last night, but he is consistently underperforming for the season and that his save percentage is an indication of that.

His save percentage last night was .867, which is obviously not good enough.  So then, did he really play well last night?

I was curling last night and watched the game in the lounge after so wasn't paying the closest attention to it.  He made some big saves after the first two power play goals, but were the goals he did let in weak?  Or was the team just playing really poor defense around him?

Looking strictly at the numbers over the last couple of months, Hutch is severely outplaying Pavelec in both save percentage and wins.  

I only saw one goal, the last one.  Boedker came down the right side with some speed, cut thru the crease and put it in the far side.

Some might claim the goalie should have had that one.  I've seen that save made before.  To do it, the goalie has to commit and push hard and throw himself to the other side.  Pavelec didn't do that.  Instead he protected the near post, then moved across with control to keep the 5 hole closed.  I'm guessing he thought his two defencemen would help him out at some point, since they were totally unoccupied, but they did not.  Didn't lay a hand on Boedker.  Must be getting close to Valentine's day.

In other words, I suspect Pavelec plays it differently if he is on his own, maybe goes with a poke check or the big slide across, but he does neither because he thinks he is not alone.  Maybe the defencemen whispered "april fools" after.

As for the other 3 goals, I walked past the TV during the first intermission and Hnidy said it would have been 4-0 for the Coyotes if it wasn't for Pavelec, and I'm under the impression that the third goal was scored on a 5 on 3.  So Pavelec might have been one of the best Jets out on the ice last night, but I didn't see enough of the game to know if that is true or not.

I wouldn't suggest Pav is on his own when it comes to improving this team. The frustration I have, whether it's legitimate or not, is the rarity of hearing Pav stole the game for us. I guess my problem is putting elite type standards on him when in fact that would be unfair as he demonstrates being an average serviceable NHL goaltender.  

If by serviceable you mean one of the bottom-3 starters in the league, you are right.  His career stats pretty much bear this out.

Pav's positioning is one of his many weaknesses, to go along with his lateral movement and puck-tracking skills.  One of the reasons he can make what would be good or ordinary saves seem extraordinary..because he is often out of position.  

An individual game like last night on its own doesn't mean much but the larger sample size of the past 4- 5 seasons illustrates what a weak goalie Pavs is - he is consistently at the bottom of the league in save percentage and has never been close to league average for save percentage save for one season.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous contract Chevy game him 2.5 years ago, I suspect we would have brought in other options by now while the youngsters developed.

If by serviceable you mean one of the bottom-3 starters in the league, you are right.  His career stats pretty much bear this out.

Serviceable to me is making the NHL and sticking. He seems to at least achieved that.

I didn't think the goals were weak and he made several outstanding saves. What I meant by using save % is it gives a snapshot over time. It's possible for a goalie to have poor stats in one game but play well which is the case last night.

Sometimes he does in fact make outstanding saves but one could argue these amazing saves are sometimes a result of him being out of position in the first place . . .

I didn't think the goals were weak and he made several outstanding saves. What I meant by using save % is it gives a snapshot over time. It's possible for a goalie to have poor stats in one game but play well which is the case last night.

Sometimes he does in fact make outstanding saves but one could argue these amazing saves are sometimes a result of him being out of position in the first place . . .

That is very true. Hutch is more positionally sound and square. Pavs has worked on that this year. His saves in this game were pretty great though.