Capgeek shuts down

Rich

Don't know if anyone here used the site, but it has ceased operations with this on their webpage.

http://capgeek.com/operations-ceased

Effective immediately, Jan. 3, 2015, CapGeek.com has permanently ceased operations. This sudden decision is made with a heavy heart and is due to the personal health of CapGeek.com founder and director Matthew Wuest. While this decision may raise many questions, it is requested that you respect Matthew's privacy and wish for no media or purchase inquiries. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding at this difficult time.

capgeek.inc at gmail.com [emailing this address does not guarantee a response]

Which is a shame, was a really useful site.

I did a small amount of research and it seems that he had a few inside contacts to get the info he got on contracts and bonuses and their structure. That along with research.

To sell the site he would also need to sell his contacts to verify the information. And maybe that was the deal breaker.

The NHL would pickup what this site did if they were smart. The site did a lot to promote the league in terms of drafts and interest in the game. And if not the NHL then then NHLPA since they were the ones who fought to make salaries public.

I did a small amount of research and it seems that he had a few inside contacts to get the info he got on contracts and bonuses and their structure. That along with research.

To sell the site he would also need to sell his contacts to verify the information. And maybe that was the deal breaker.

The NHL would pickup what this site did if they were smart. The site did a lot to promote the league in terms of drafts and interest in the game. And if not the NHL then then NHLPA since they were the ones who fought to make salaries public.

Not only that but big time NHL media types would credit capgeek for their information.  You are right, the NHL *should* have this set up.

• 2 months later...

Very sad news.

As far as his impact on hockey, who didnt use capgeek?  Heard Bettman say NHL fans didnt want a capgeek style site on the NHL website.  How wrong.  When every sports journalist in North America was openly linking to a non-NHL approved site for information, it would make a lot of sense for the league to have their own version.  If im the league, I approach his estate about buying the name in exchange for a charitable donation or something to that effect and honour the guy.

Very sad news.

As far as his impact on hockey, who didnt use capgeek? Heard Bettman say NHL fans didnt want a capgeek style site on the NHL website. How wrong. When every sports journalist in North America was openly linking to a non-NHL approved site for information, it would make a lot of sense for the league to have their own version. If im the league, I approach his estate about buying the name in exchange for a charitable donation or something to that effect and honour the guy.

Gary just mentioned this same thing that there are many people who want the league or PA to create a capgeek in honour of Matthew

If im the league, I approach his estate about buying the name in exchange for a charitable donation or something to that effect and honour the guy.

Why a charitable donation? Buy the site and name it after him. I don't see why the family should just give away the site considering all the work and expense that he had put into it.

• 1 month later...