Territorial Exemptions

Floyd

No matter how many times its explained, I still don't quite understand it...  but anyway, Rids has made a top ten manitobans list - can we lock some of these guys up early?  How many?

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/8/11_Manitoba_HSFB_Top_Ten.html

Williams and Diakow look interesting... but who knows

No you cant lock these guys up. Territorial exemptions only apply to players in Junior football. Most of these guys will be going to school either in CIS or NCAA.

So, we need to sign a guy like the year before they get on this list... then why haven't we?

I mean I guess my question is - is there a cost involved or a limit to how many guys you can have or what?  To me, it would seem like a no-brainer if you can lock up potential talent for essentially nothing... like an extra draft pick every year...

I mean I guess my question is - is there a cost involved or a limit to how many guys you can have or what? To me, it would seem like a no-brainer if you can lock up potential talent for essentially nothing... like an extra draft pick every year...

Ya, how exactly does the process work? What's "Territorial exemptions for dummies"?

Was Brett Carter a territorial exemption?

Originally he was.

No you cant lock these guys up. Territorial exemptions only apply to players in Junior football. Most of these guys will be going to school either in CIS or NCAA.

So, we need to sign a guy like the year before they get on this list... then why haven't we?

If a junior player has plans to go to the CIS or NCAA he isn't going to sign a contract period. It would affect his eligibility - the CIS rules are different from NCAA but it would still affect the player wanting to play CIS football. And signing a junior player is like signing any other player (ie roster spot, salary cap, etc).

This is from CFLDB:

Territorial Rights
A person given a junior player designation may not be, either directly or indirectly, contacted, negotiated with or signed by any other member Club other than the one whose territory the player is domiciled.

Junior Player
A person shall be considered to be of junior age in any year prior to the year in which the age of twenty-three years is attained as defined in Section 5 of the CFL By-laws. Franchise territorial rights assign the exclusive right to contact, negotiate with and sign a junior player to the Club’s territorial limits whom the junior player is domiciled within. A junior player shall be permitted to participate in that member Club’s practice sessions without being signed to a Standard Player Contract.

But Kyle Walters has made it known that he is going to try to recruit players from Manitoba that don't want to go the CIS or NCAA to play for the Rifles so they would be able to sign them. Its a good move try to get some of these guys to stay home instead to play in places like BC..

But Kyle Walters has made it known that he is going to try to recruit players from Manitoba that don't want to go the CIS or NCAA to play for the Rifles so they would be able to sign them. Its a good move try to get some of these guys to stay home instead to play in places like BC..

Another reason to like Kyle Walters.

I think it was Duane Forde who was saying there have been some talk about changing the rules for junior players and possibly having then in the draft or as a separate draft. It would certainly be a lot fairer than the current system.

So, if I read this right...

BC can grab guys from one of the six teams in the BC conference... the Ontario teams have a choice of seven teams... and the bombers can pick someone from the Rifles...?  And thats it.

Basically yes. I'm not sure how it works for Ontario - whether the junior teams are split into territories for each team or whether the Argos, Ticats and RedBlacks share all of the Ontario junior teams. 

So, if I read this right...

BC can grab guys from one of the six teams in the BC conference... the Ontario teams have a choice of seven teams... and the bombers can pick someone from the Rifles...?  And thats it.

Yes and the Island Raiders used to have a team comparable or better than most CIS schools. This is how they got Andrew Harris and why a lot of people aren't happy with the current rule as it heavily favors BC.

Because they're not going to sign if they have any aspirations for CIS/NCAA

Because they're not going to sign if they have any aspirations for CIS/NCAA

Late to the game Mike.