Evander Kane Interview

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/534566

Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has been the subject of on-and-off trade rumors over the course of the past few seasons, and, while making an appearance on The TEAM 1040 in Vancouver on Tuesday, he was asked point-blank whether he wants to stay with the team.

His response was ... somewhat vague.

Host: Evander do you want to play for the Winnipeg Jets anymore?

Kane: Well, I think I'm a Winnipeg Jet right now, and, you know, there's been speculation and rumors the three years since I got there. So, you know, we'll see what happens and we'll carry on as if I'm a Winnipeg Jet.

Host: There’s not a yes in there, and some Jets fans might say, why doesn’t he want to play for us? Or why isn’t he absolutely fully on board for playing for us?….you’re shaking your finger at me.

Kane: I’m training hard and getting ready for this season, and last summer I didn’t have a full year of training due to some surgery I had, so I found it really important for me to start training early and get myself in the best shape possible for this season. So that’s my focus.

These comments are unlikely to pacify concerned Jets fans in regards to the 22-year-old's future with the team.

For now, let's carry on as if Kane is a Jet, shall we?

[H/T @mremis]

Feature photo courtesy of Reuters/Bruce Fedyck

JUNE 21, 12:05 PM

Reports: Evander Kane's 'name is out there' on trade market, but return needs to be big

Ian McLaren@iancmclarenJune 21, 12:05 PM

Evander Kane, the Winnipeg Jets' fourth overall pick in 2009, is a 22-year-old 30-goal scorer, and is locked into a fairly team-friendly $5.25-million a year contract through 2017-18. As such, it would appear that general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has a significant building block around whom he can form some semblance of a winning team.

Yet, as the offseason rumor mill churns, Kane's name is repeatedly mentioned as a potential trade candidate, as confirmed once again Saturday by Gary Lawless of the Free Press.

While Lawless contends the talk is "over-hyped right now", he added "his name is out there" and that Kane could indeed be acquired, albeit at a heavy price.

Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun echoes a similar sentiment, saying Kane could be had, "but the price tag is going to be steep, as it should be."

Wiebe writes that Kane is a rare talent:

Thirty goal scorers that can kill penalties, skate like the wind and play a physical game don’t exactly grow on trees. No, Kane hasn’t reached his potential in three seasons with the Jets, but he hasn’t had the benefit of regular linemates or been given much first-unit power-play time either. I remain of the belief that Kane could become a more consistent game-breaker if used frequently on a line with Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. However, if Cheveldayoff is blown away by an offer, I could see him pulling the trigger. But Kane — who is under contract for a cap-friendly deal of $5.25 million through 2017-18 — won’t be moved for shock value alone.

While the very thought of trading a player of Kane's caliber and potential seems odd to some, it's certainly not out of the question (see: Seguin, Tyler). If the Jets feel they can progress as an organization by flipping Kane for two or three key assets, this is a trade that could happen at some point over the summer.

Don't really care about Kane any more, he brings it on himself, the guy is just a goof really, needs to mature off the ice, has all the talent in the world but seems to have a 10 cent brain. I've said it before and i'll say it again, the Jets would not have drafted him if the team was here in his draft year, character issues galore. I think it's best to move on from Kane and get what you can for him, don't give him away though. I'm sure his value is quite high, teams will always take chances on 22 year olds who have scored 30 goals in a season before. I'm hearing Buffalo is a strong contender for him, hope he likes Buffalo more than he does Winnipeg. 

Good riddance really. I think he is a talented player but i'm not sure he will ever be anything more then what he currently is. His off ice baggage is not worth it any more. I'd suspect TNSE is not happy with him at all and will try to move him before the season starts and probably will move him before the season starts, my guess sooner rather than later. We don't need this gong show around. Send him to Buffalo or a big media market like he craves and watch him get eaten alive.

Rangers,Philly,Boston.. No not montreal or toronto, they have nothing of interest really... These big market media guys eat pieces of **** like kane for breakfast.

Once again, all the talent in the world but really getting to the point where he is no longer worth the off ice baggage he brings. 

We won't get what we think we should for this mope but whatever we get might be better than keeping him in town, having a 17 goal scorer act like a 55 goal man and always the issues, always the issues!!!

His poor productivity, propensity to take bad penalties and wayward shot are a liability to the Jets. 

Better for him to be traded to a market where he has a chance to be rehabilitated. There's little chance of that happening in Wpg.

Now, if we could only package him off with other mopes like Pavelec and Enstrom?

The biggest obstacle to Kane leaving is Chevy who has this strange fear of other GMs putting the proverbial boots to him.

We likely wont get what we should for him mostly because thats the nature of the beast in the NHL.  I think most deals that are talked about by fans are far larger than what ends up happening.  The difference with Kane is the Jets got him under a pretty good contract which would be attractive to many teams. 

I think Kane obviously would prefer to be traded but the Jets dont want to unless they get the right offer.  That right offer might not present itself until next season when the cap rises.  Im not sure Kane can keep his mouth in order long enough though.  It would benefit him to shut up because all these things he says only make it more difficult for Chevy to swing a deal.  He'd also be wise to play the best hockey of his life this season if he's still a jet, increase his value.

He's a smart guy and has a sense of humour but he comes across bratty with his antics.  He's smart enough to know that his answers to these questions, his favouriting tweets about being traded to Philly etc only serve to stir the pot.  If he's just trying to be funny, he's hurting the Jets.

We likely wont get what we should for him mostly because thats the nature of the beast in the NHL.  I think most deals that are talked about by fans are far larger than what ends up happening.  The difference with Kane is the Jets got him under a pretty good contract which would be attractive to many teams. 

I think Kane obviously would prefer to be traded but the Jets dont want to unless they get the right offer.  That right offer might not present itself until next season when the cap rises.  Im not sure Kane can keep his mouth in order long enough though.  It would benefit him to shut up because all these things he says only make it more difficult for Chevy to swing a deal.  He'd also be wise to play the best hockey of his life this season if he's still a jet, increase his value.

He's a smart guy and has a sense of humour but he comes across bratty with his antics.  He's smart enough to know that his answers to these questions, his favouriting tweets about being traded to Philly etc only serve to stir the pot.  If he's just trying to be funny, he's hurting the Jets.

Personally, I could tolerate Kane if he somehow morphed into a consistent 2-way hockey player who averaged 25 to 28 goals a season and around 55 to 65 points. Also, cut his bad discipline/frustration penalties by half or more. And not take as many errant shots from non-scoring range that end up ringing off the boards and give opponents a head start into the Jets zone.

Honestly after listening to that interview again, what exactly did he say? the truth? right now he is a winnipeg jet and there has been rumours for 3 years, we will see what happens, we all knew at the draft that the jets were listening to offers on him. I honestly don't see why what he said was a big deal... Claude  Giroux slaps a cops ASS repeatedly, not a big deal.. Kane answers a question pretty much honestly and is crapped on. I can't blame him for wanting out (if he does, he has never actually said that though) His actions by signing that new contract spoke louder than any of his words or lack there of words...

With that being said, I'd move him because I have almost had enough of iths constant crap and i think we do get a nice return on him and i think that's the only way we move him anyways, we either get what we (chevy) wants or he stays a JET. It is what it is. It's really that simple too. Chevy don't have to move Kane, he is under contract so really The ball is in the JETS court, Kane can maybe ask for a trade all he wants, Jets don't need to trade him though, Only trade him if the return is worth it. If it's not, don't trade him.

I suspect he is moved prior to the start of the season and i suspect we actually do get a nice return on him, I'm looking at Philly or Boston or The New York Islanders or Rangers even. Those are teams i think who would be willing to give the most up, that Buffalo rumour though... it's there and it makes sort of sense actually.. I don't know what we'd get from them but... i'm guessing it would be one of their first round picks in next years deep draft and probably have to be a couple ready now players off their roster, not sure who though. 

he answered the question in a way that he could say was "the truth".  he knew what he was being asked and he gave a less than glowing answer.  Any player could say "I'm a Jet (or Bruin or whatever) right now" but no one says that. 

The Girioux incident was pretty bad actually, in how the media handled it.  If that was a female cop, is it as funny?  If he grabs her breasts, is it still funny?  If Kane had done it he would certainly have been raked over the coals but it would be because it was just the latest incident with him.  The fact Kane tweeted a picture of a hot girl dressed like a cop and said he hopes she was the one Girioux was groping is actually a very stupid thing to have done but I didnt see a lot of heat on Kane for it.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/534566

Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has been the subject of on-and-off trade rumors over the course of the past few seasons, and, while making an appearance on The TEAM 1040 in Vancouver on Tuesday, he was asked point-blank whether he wants to stay with the team.

His response was ... somewhat vague.

Host: Evander do you want to play for the Winnipeg Jets anymore?

Kane: Well, I think I'm a Winnipeg Jet right now, and, you know, there's been speculation and rumors the three years since I got there. So, you know, we'll see what happens and we'll carry on as if I'm a Winnipeg Jet.

Host: There’s not a yes in there, and some Jets fans might say, why doesn’t he want to play for us? Or why isn’t he absolutely fully on board for playing for us?….you’re shaking your finger at me.

Kane: I’m training hard and getting ready for this season, and last summer I didn’t have a full year of training due to some surgery I had, so I found it really important for me to start training early and get myself in the best shape possible for this season. So that’s my focus.

These comments are unlikely to pacify concerned Jets fans in regards to the 22-year-old's future with the team.

For now, let's carry on as if Kane is a Jet, shall we?

[H/T @mremis]

Feature photo courtesy of Reuters/Bruce Fedyck

JUNE 21, 12:05 PM

Reports: Evander Kane's 'name is out there' on trade market, but return needs to be big

Ian McLaren@iancmclarenJune 21, 12:05 PM

Evander Kane, the Winnipeg Jets' fourth overall pick in 2009, is a 22-year-old 30-goal scorer, and is locked into a fairly team-friendly $5.25-million a year contract through 2017-18. As such, it would appear that general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff has a significant building block around whom he can form some semblance of a winning team.

Yet, as the offseason rumor mill churns, Kane's name is repeatedly mentioned as a potential trade candidate, as confirmed once again Saturday by Gary Lawless of the Free Press.

While Lawless contends the talk is "over-hyped right now", he added "his name is out there" and that Kane could indeed be acquired, albeit at a heavy price.

Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun echoes a similar sentiment, saying Kane could be had, "but the price tag is going to be steep, as it should be."

Wiebe writes that Kane is a rare talent:

Thirty goal scorers that can kill penalties, skate like the wind and play a physical game don’t exactly grow on trees. No, Kane hasn’t reached his potential in three seasons with the Jets, but he hasn’t had the benefit of regular linemates or been given much first-unit power-play time either. I remain of the belief that Kane could become a more consistent game-breaker if used frequently on a line with Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. However, if Cheveldayoff is blown away by an offer, I could see him pulling the trigger. But Kane — who is under contract for a cap-friendly deal of $5.25 million through 2017-18 — won’t be moved for shock value alone.

While the very thought of trading a player of Kane's caliber and potential seems odd to some, it's certainly not out of the question (see: Seguin, Tyler). If the Jets feel they can progress as an organization by flipping Kane for two or three key assets, this is a trade that could happen at some point over the summer.

You and Wiebe, Jr. should be Kane's press agents. Actually the team that could make the most use out of Kane at a supposed bargain basement price of $5.25 million for the next 4 or 5 years is Pittsburgh. Imagine Kane on a line with Sid - Sid can make even a dud score 25 to 35 goals. Kane could be 40+ goals and 30 to 40 assists as Sid's caddy. Sid also needs a bigger guy to bugger up defenders that take liberties with him.  Kane is that guy!   Pittsburgh's new management would fine him silly for taking idiotic slappers all the time from everywhere and Evander would have to comply big-time with team discipline. 

Of course the price would be high. We'd need at least Olli Maata (d) and a high draft pick or two to consumnate the trade. Maybe even a developmental guy tossed in from Penguins farm system.

Can't imagine why he wouldn't want to play in a city where he constantly gets crap for things like not giving a glowing enough answer.

No kidding. Any excuse to **** on the poor guy.

Kane not touching himself over the mention of Winnipeg has been the lead story on TSN1290 two days in a row.

Who cares what the media says, the media here is a big big problem, i think the majority of people like kane the hockey player, sure see lots of his jerseys around town and at MTS centre... think theres a perception that people don't like him, i don't think thats the case though, I think people like the guy, i just think people wish he wouldn't throw more logs on to an already burning fire. The guy knows the media here is out to get him and theres certain fans on twitter who are all over him for no apparent reason, stop fueling them... just shut up and do your job.. Not sure why he'd want to throw more gas on to the fire though. All that really matters is what his team mates in the locker room think about him, haven't really heard anything negative or positive from his team mates. If his team mates though start to get tired of his act, then it's time to move him. 

All the media bs, the money phones, the interviews, the favouring of tweets... who gives a crap really... if it starts to piss his team mates off though, then you got a problem. Until then though, nothing to see here. Just a guy who seemingly wants and needs attention. Nothing wrong with that. Think if Kane is moved, it's probably best to move him to a market where maybe they don't care as much as we do here. Think that would be what is best for Mr Kane. Don't want to see this guy fail and be on "where are they now' 10 years from now.. he's a talented player and i hope he gets his stuff together off the ice, it's apparent he has some issues, but nothing too ridiculous.

It's kind of funny Claude Giroux slaps a cops ass a bunch of times, media makes a big joke out of it... what if Kane did that? Don't think it would be a big joke and that's a problem. He does kind of get unfairly treated by the media but at the same time, he does at times bring it on himself. It's an odd situation. He signed a long term contract with the JETS, ever since and even b4 then, media and some "fans" thinks he's wanted out but has really not given any indication that he does. With all that said, i have very little sympathy for a guy making over 5 million bucks a year, he should learn to probably shut up at times and be grateful that you can make 5 miillion bucks a year playing hockey.

Can't imagine why he wouldn't want to play in a city where he constantly gets crap for things like not giving a glowing enough answer.

No kidding. Any excuse to **** on the poor guy.

I used to be a big Kane defender but this is totally wrong. Kane isn't picked on. He's underprepared of a microscope because of his antics. He brings it all on himself. Being the player we paid him to be would help too.

Here's the thing.... Forget the losers and the racists. Kane is not picked on by fans. He is not picked on by media.

I think he's a young millionaire who was not developed professionally by the thrashers. I think he did whatever he wanted in Atlanta and no one ever batted an eye. He comes to Winnipeg and it's the opposite.

I thought the money phone was over blown. But if anything his fellow players should have been mad about that given it was during the lockout.

His recent lawsuit has been tested very fairly by the media.

I think Kane is smart enough to know exactly what he does. He cannot blame the media when he courts the controversy. Any one thing would likely be glazed over. It's because it's incident after incident.

There can be no debate now. Kane does not want to be here. He has clearly asked for a trade. And it's not because of how he's treated by fans or media. It's because he's immature and didn't like the demands of a professional organization. And quite honestly I think he doesn't like the fishbowl that is Winnipeg while also missing the amenities of a bigger city.

Based on his performance and discipline the last two years - I don't think Kane will fetch what we think he'll fetch. So knowing Chevy's propensity to refuse trades where he's getting 60 to 75 cents on the dollar he'll probably keep Kane in the lineup.

Which could be extremely foolhardy cuz if Kane continues to fall on the ice his market value will be a pail of pucks and the proverbial 10th rd. draft pick.

If Kane is smart, he puts together a career performance on this ice this fall if he is, in fact, still with the Jets.  If he wants to be traded, he needs to maximize the potential return to the Jets.  If he's not going to develop his game, the Jets are probably content to keep him at his current contract.  They've shown they are not afraid to scratch him or play him on the third line.  he's already hampered trade opportunities with his comments and poor play.  If that continues, when he's a free agent in three years, he *will* have offers but they wont be the offers he thinks he deserves.

I also agree that the Pens would be ideal for Kane.  He wouldnt be able to pull any attitude on a team with Sidney Crosby, he wont feel like he's the star of the show and the talent level there is enough that they'd likely be able to make Kane's style work successfully.  He's got a good contract that will be fine for the Pens after this upcoming season.

But also, whomever suggested Olli Maatta would be the starting point, I agree.  I suggested that awhile back and was ridiculed.  Jets will want Top Six Forward, Top prospect, First Round Pick.  Or similar value.  So if Maatta is on the table, Id suspect the Jets would be interested even though it hamstrings their offense a bit.  but id think we'd send back a lower level D and expect a middle six forward and a pick.

Based on his performance and discipline the last two years - I don't think Kane will fetch what we think he'll fetch. So knowing Chevy's propensity to refuse trades where he's getting 60 to 75 cents on the dollar he'll probably keep Kane in the lineup.

Which could be extremely foolhardy cuz if Kane continues to fall on the ice his market value will be a pail of pucks and the proverbial 10th rd. draft pick.

Do you even follow the NHL? This post suggests no.

Do you even follow the NHL? This post suggests no.

It's Nate, he just strings words together in the hopes people will give him the time of day.

Performance and discipline? WTF? 

Performance? 67 goals 65 assists the last 3 seasons, one being a 30 goal season, the other prorated being 30 also, had 19 last year but did pass the puck off to peluso on an empty net, missed significant time with injury.

Discipline? He was late for a meeting once. Besides that, what else has he done? Seriously, twitter? who gives a crap about twitter, Interviews where he vaguely answers questions? I don't see discipline issues actually. I see maturity issues but not really discipline issues. He's a 23 year old making 5 million bucks a year. He has some growing up to do.

Pittsburgh wouldn't be a good fit for him, their media is as vicious if not more than ours. The guy needs to go to a place like Columbus or Florida or somewhere like that where he can do whatever he pleases and not be crapped on for it. So that eliminates every big market their is. Honestly if Kane can't handle our local media, how the heck would he survive in new york or pittsburgh or montreal or toronto? 

Well, twitter notwithstanding, some of the "rumours" that have been grounded in at least some level of accuracy have been documented.  This isnt a grand conspiracy amongst all Jets fans and media to discredit Evander Kane.  There's usually fire where there's smoke even if the stories are exaggerated.

I always thought the running out on tabs was a weird story because I'd assume he gets comped a lot but the real story as I heard it was he'd complain until his meals were comped not "run out" on them.  But rather than re-hash all the stories, we know there is some truth to some of them and its not because of how he deals with the media or race.

Look at Buff.  He generally declines media interviews AND was busted on a DUI.  I think the media covered that story very fairly and I think the public at large wanted to forgive and forget.  And its not just because Buff is a great player because Lord knows hes had his issues.  Kane just doesnt come across very likeable.

He absolutely threw Noel under the bus which was no class at all.  And he knew exactly what he was doing in answering "do you want to be a Winnipeg Jet".  I think Jets fans will forgive a lot but a player not wanting to be here and/or not giving the effort we expect will get you piled on pretty quickly.  Ethnicity has nothing to do with it, despite the existence obviously of some dispicable racists.

I see a lot of similarities emerging between Evander Kane and Lebron James. They're both selling themselves as individual commodities with absoutley no desire to attach themselves to any team. They market themselves to fetch the highest dollar knowing that their bodies will fail them eventually but it won't matter as they will have built a successful individual commodity that can diversify beyond just playing the game.