Evander Kane Interview

I see a lot of similarities emerging between Evander Kane and Lebron James. They're both selling themselves as individual commodities with absoutley no desire to attach themselves to any team. They market themselves to fetch the highest dollar knowing that their bodies will fail them eventually but it won't matter as they will have built a successful individual commodity that can diversify beyond just playing the game.

Honestly, i understand what you are saying but i think it's a bit of a stretch comparing the best basketball player in the game today to evander kane, Kane might be a good player, he might be a super star but he isn't yet.. He hasn't won anything, no individual awards, no team awards. Say what you will but Lebron never left Cleveland cuz he didn't like Cleveland, he left because he wanted to go somewhere else to win. He might even sign with Cleveland this off-season. 

Honestly, kane might be our best player based on potential but the argument could be made right now that our best player all around is Blake Wheeler. 

Funny you guys mention that.  I was also thinking Kane is like an NBA player of the NHL (having nothing to do with being black ofcourse).

Throughout the trade rumours my position has always been, if Kane wants to be here, keep him.  Hes too good.  if he wants to go somewhere else, trade him.  We have players that made long term committments to Winnipeg.  Ironically Kane did to but we kind of had him over a barrel and it wouldnt surprise me to learn there was a gentleman's agreement with management to explore a trade if Kane requested it.  Either way, good player, but he's worn out his welcome.

If he scores 40 goals though, all is forgiven.

I see a lot of similarities emerging between Evander Kane and Lebron James. They're both selling themselves as individual commodities with absoutley no desire to attach themselves to any team. They market themselves to fetch the highest dollar knowing that their bodies will fail them eventually but it won't matter as they will have built a successful individual commodity that can diversify beyond just playing the game.

Honestly, i understand what you are saying but i think it's a bit of a stretch comparing the best basketball player in the game today to evander kane, Kane might be a good player, he might be a super star but he isn't yet.. He hasn't won anything, no individual awards, no team awards. Say what you will but Lebron never left Cleveland cuz he didn't like Cleveland, he left because he wanted to go somewhere else to win. He might even sign with Cleveland this off-season. 

Honestly, kane might be our best player based on potential but the argument could be made right now that our best player all around is Blake Wheeler. 

I never said they were equal in talent or even at the same stages in their professional career, I'm suggesting the similarirties are pretty obvious as treating themselves as a business and not just as an athlete who wants to play.

I never said they were equal in talent or even at the same stages in their professional career, I'm suggesting the similarirties are pretty obvious as treating themselves as a business and not just as an athlete who wants to play.

Makes sense. I agree. 

Funny you guys mention that.  I was also thinking Kane is like an NBA player of the NHL (having nothing to do with being black ofcourse).

Throughout the trade rumours my position has always been, if Kane wants to be here, keep him.  Hes too good.  if he wants to go somewhere else, trade him.  We have players that made long term committments to Winnipeg.  Ironically Kane did to but we kind of had him over a barrel and it wouldnt surprise me to learn there was a gentleman's agreement with management to explore a trade if Kane requested it.  Either way, good player, but he's worn out his welcome.

If he scores 40 goals though, all is forgiven.

Sums it up pretty nicely i think. 

Regarding the Winnipeg media and the issue of playing/living in a fishbowl, consider the big city of Philly & their media. Lindros never had a great relationship with them. They battled with Richards, Carter, & Lupul until all three were sent packing. Now they're going after Giroux b/c of his incident in Ottawa.

Kane might want to be careful what he wishes for "if" he's pushing for a move to Philly.

Keep Kane this season... if he isn't on pace for a 25 + goal season then trade him away and file him off as a guy who never reached potential.    

Just what do you think Kanes potential was? Seems to me he's produced with what is to be expected of him.... 

I've found that Jets fans seem to have this notion that every prospect or young player has super star potential... it's a curious thing. 

Exactly, I said he has the potential to score 40 and ofcourse that is true.  But he's not even the most talented guy on the Jets right now.  He has the most upside potential though.  Potential combined with a 30 goal season, another season pro-rated to be 30 goals and 19 goals in an injury-plagued season and the kid is 22...plus has a fairly cap-friendly contract?  Chevy is right to hold out.  Top six, top prospect, first round draft pick.

Only in Winnipeg would a guy who scores 30 be a disappointment because he may not score 40.

We give our level of scrutiny way too much credit. Ovechkin buried 51 this season and look at the abuse he takes.

The disappointment for me is that Kane seems to have regressed in the past two seasons. It's great that he's still young, but it's a little bit troubling that his progression seems to have stopped. It's not a lock we're getting 30 from him every season.

Kane can skate like the wind, has a hard shot and plays physical at times but 

the lack of any kind of development in the minors and adding pieces to his NHL tool-kit have really hampered his progression

Yeah, he did score 30 goals as a 20 year old. But so what, does that put playoff appearances on the board?

I think there's a real cat 'n mouse game going on with Evander right now. Chevy is furiously trying to peddle him (for Chevy furious means listening to offers and thinking about it before saying no to most) and Evander is covertly trying to get himself traded.

The sad reality is that if Chevy can't get a decent offer he'll retain Kane on the Jets roster. If Kane continues his descent into mediocrity I suspect he'll have even less trade value next year than he does today!

GP  G    A    Points     Pro-rated:     GP   G    A   Points

66   14  12   26                                82   17   15  32         **Rookie Season

72   18  24   42                                82   21   27  48

74   30  27   57                                82   33   30  63         ** First Season in Winnipeg

48   17  16   33                                82   29   27  56         ** Lockout

63   19  22   41                                82   25   29  54

he's actually fairly consistent.  The question becomes, has he max'ed out at 25-30 goals and 55-65 points.

he's actually fairly consistent.  The question becomes, has he max'ed out at 25-30 goals and 55-65 points.

Well, if he's put up those kind of numbers playing with Antropov and Wellwood, there really is nowhere to go but down.  That is the creme de la creme of linemates.

This Ryan O'Reilly situation is interesting.  lets forget for a moment that the Jets and Avs are division rivals and lets assume that ROR would sign with Winnipeg, could a Kane for ROR swap be beneficial to both sides?  It would have to be conditional on the Jets being granted permission to talk to ROR about a long term deal beforehand though.

He'd a a hell of a centre to have.

This Ryan O'Reilly situation is interesting.  lets forget for a moment that the Jets and Avs are division rivals and lets assume that ROR would sign with Winnipeg, could a Kane for ROR swap be beneficial to both sides?  It would have to be conditional on the Jets being granted permission to talk to ROR about a long term deal beforehand though.

He'd a a hell of a centre to have.

Can also play the left wing actually, i believe he plays left wing with Colorado and yes, I'd do that deal in a minute. Maybe throw in rights to Burmistrov also and the Avs can send us a pick next year too, (1st but i'd take a second also) 

Yeah i;d be open to whatever deal.  Kane might have a bit more value due to the numbers he's put up compared to ROR but they are the same age (or a year apart, whatever).  Kane has the good contract.  ROR, unless arbitratiors low ball him, is going to end up making more than Kane I'd suspect, for a shorter term.  ROR has more value because he's a natural centre.  it's almost a straight up deal.

Yeah i;d be open to whatever deal.  Kane might have a bit more value due to the numbers he's put up compared to ROR but they are the same age (or a year apart, whatever).  Kane has the good contract.  ROR, unless arbitratiors low ball him, is going to end up making more than Kane I'd suspect, for a shorter term.  ROR has more value because he's a natural centre.  it's almost a straight up deal.

Let me clarify lol, I'd do it but i doubt the Jets or Avs would. Find it hard to believe they would trade a player to a divisional rival, one that we will play a whole bunch of times. The likely scenario with Kane if he's moved, is he's moved to the Eastern Conference. I just don't see them trading him to a team in our own division or conference for that matter. Don't get me wrong, If a western conference team or central division team offered us the moon, I'd take it but i just don't see that happening.

If they offered a straight up deal, I would take it for sure.

I understand not trading to a rival but in a way its silly.  its not like we'd be trading Kane for nothing.

Chevy gave an interview this afternoon discussing the Kane trade rumours.  He defended Kane but flat out would not directly answer "Has Kane requested a trade".  And that means YES he has requested a trade.  This is now just a matter of time.