Jokinen to Predators

Floyd

I'm glad the jets decided to move on. Good riddance really. had a decent year last year but perreault had the same amount of points as jokinen and played 15 less games. Perreault is an upgrade. Jokinens best days are behind him. He's turrible at faceoffs also. Couldn't win a faceoff to save his life. Glad we moved on from him. 2.5 million for a 4th centre or really the 5th centre doesn't make sense at all for us.

Olli was a fairly responsible guy but in reality doesn't command nearly 5 mill. annual.

As stated by prior posters, he was terrible at face-offs and although nearly 6'3" and 200 he played more like 5'9" and 175.....

Took a ton of idiotic penalties to prove he was tough vs. just being a pest or rat without penalties.

Decent guy in the community, above average player on the world stage for Finland but overall this is good news for Jets. 

I thought he had a decent season last year.  Why all the hate for the guy here? 

He always appeared a bit lackadaisical. We can't all be like your old hero AL - Eddy Shack.....

Clear the track here comes Shack.....

Eddy wasn't a great hockey player but his style always brought fans out of their seats!

Olli wasn't that bad... He just didn't justify the big contract and as mentioned before he didn't play big.

Well, I don't think that's the players fault. It's Cheveldayoff for signing an older player. I think the guy really gave it his best, especially last season. We gave away a second round pick  in the Setoguchi trade, that's on Kevin as well. Yet, he won't get  involved in going after key free agents preaching patience & fiscal  restraint. Poor advice to the fans after those 2 moves & the payouts on contracts like that. At least Olli justified his salary last season but Setoguchi is a wash out. 

With Perrault, Slater's value goes down... I would take Jokinen as a 3rd/4th line centre any day - Jokinen crumbles under pressure but plays very well in a support role - he will be available next free agency if we want him I guess...  penciled into the 1st line for the Preds is ridiculous.

Maybe O'Dell steps up - maybe even Petan...

Olli wasn't that bad... He just didn't justify the big contract and as mentioned before he didn't play big.

Well, I don't think that's the players fault. It's Cheveldayoff for signing an older player. I think the guy really gave it his best, especially last season. We gave away a second round pick in the Setoguchi trade, that's on Kevin as well. Yet, he won't get involved in going after key free agents preaching patience & fiscal restraint. Poor advice to the fans after those 2 moves & the payouts on contracts like that. At least Olli justified his salary last season but Setoguchi is a wash out.

You don't think he tries on high profile free agents? Rumour is we offered more then what Statsny signed for. The Jets are a small market and a perennial non playoff team.

Tough sell to bring the high profile free agents in. It is a two way dialog. Just because we want them doesn't mean they will come here.

Well, I don't think that's the players fault. It's Cheveldayoff for signing an older player. I think the guy really gave it his best, especially last season. We gave away a second round pick in the Setoguchi trade, that's on Kevin as well. Yet, he won't get involved in going after key free agents preaching patience & fiscal restraint. Poor advice to the fans after those 2 moves & the payouts on contracts like that. At least Olli justified his salary last season but Setoguchi is a wash out.

You don't think he tries on high profile free agents? Rumour is we offered more then what Statsny signed for. The Jets are a small market and a perennial non playoff team.

Tough sell to bring the high profile free agents in. It is a two way dialog. Just because we want them doesn't mean they will come here.

I remember a time when Winnipeg was a destination. Players wanted to come here. 

^You talking about 1954 again, Al?"

As recently as when Selanne & Tkachuk played here in the 90's with Jets 1.0. But primarily the 70's & 80's. Different world, Nate. Remember when NHL all star defenseman Thommie Bergman, Randy Carlyle & Serge Savard were happy to play here? 

I would dare say most of the current Jets are happy to play here.  Winnipeggers really have an inferiority complex.  Every team in the NHL signs good players.  And every team in the NHL has players who choose not to play there.  Our reputation from the 90's probably doesn't do us any favours.  But the more people talk to other players here, the more that will change.  One thing that is consistant is the positive reputation of True North.  once the Jets start winning, players will sign here.

As for Jokinen, he was never signed to be the answer at centre.  He was a bridge guy hoping he'd work out at 2C until Scheif was ready.  Scheif is ready and Perrault is an upgrade.  Perrault getting a three year deal tells me the Jets see him as a potential long term solution.  Jokinen served us well.

As recently as when Selanne & Tkachuk played here in the 90's with Jets 1.0. But primarily the 70's & 80's. Different world, Nate. Remember when NHL all star defenseman Thommie Bergman, Randy Carlyle & Serge Savard were happy to play here? 

Selanne and Tkachuk were draft picks weren't they Al? Selanne stayed in Finland an extra year - even some peggers thought he wasn't gonna come. As it stood he was only here 3 great years. Tkachuk here longer but wasn't quite mature enough to be a true leader - still had great natural talent and instincts.

Bergman gave us some great service for a few years, Kitty was no longer a primo defenseman when he arrived - in fact he was one of the softest d-guys I've ever seen, sorta like Tobias Enstrom today. Serge was a big name signing but he didn't have the juice he had as a Hall of Famer with the Habs. Still, he was fun to watch.

Jokinen may as well been Jesse James - he was heisting nearly 5 mill. from the Jets coffers.

2.5 million may be 'right' but for his career stats he's now officially an NHL rounder.

Iginla is 2-3  years older but still commands 5 million a year.

I thought he had a decent season last year.  Why all the hate for the guy here? 

He did.  Why all the hate?  Well it's the internet for starters.  His first season was pretty bad so, well, that's enough I guess.

I like Jokinen just fine.  Perreault is an upgrade for several reasons, and also a positive indicator for several reasons, so I have no sadness that Jokinen is gone.  I wish him well.