Draft Day Trades

Rich

Vancouver trades Ryan Kesler to Anaheim for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa and the 24th overall pick in the 2014 #NHLDraft. #TSN

— SportsCentre (@SportsCentre)

June 27, 2014

Thought I'd start a thread for the trades made today.   I think Anaheim overpaid for Kesler a bit here, but they need to be able to battle with LA.

Disagree.  Great deal for Ducks.  For Vancouver?  Not so much.  Kessler is often over-valued.  He's the type of player that fits in with a team like Anaheim who have a great team and he enhances it.  But alone, he's no great shakes.  I dont see Vancouver's vision here.  With the twins turning 34, are they going to keep them for a rebuild?

I think it's a good deal for the canucks, listen, when you are handcuffed by a player and his NMC, this aint that bad. Bonino is 4 years younger and had more goals than kelser did last season, Sbisa is an often injured still only 24 year old developing d man and the 24th pick? That's not so bad at all. Really, kesler submitted a list of like what? 2 3 4 teams he could be traded too, the canucks did good. Bonino will be a very good player for them. 

The irony of sorts is kesler was taken with the 23rd overall pick in his draft year, 23rd or 24th so if you are good at scouting, you could get a steal there.

I've never really been a fan of Kesler.  His points in the last 5 seasons:

2013 / 14 - 43 Pts (77 games)

2012 / 13 - 13 Pts (17 games)

2011 /12 - 49 pts (77 games)

2010 / 11 - 73 Pts (82 games)

2009 / 10 - 75 Pts (82 games)

If he can be the player he was back in 2009 / 2010, good deal for Anaheim, but thats a long time ago.   Maybe he can regain it with Anaheim.

Vancouver has to be in rebuild mode.  Can't see them making the playoffs again this year, problem is a lot of their players have no trade (or limited) trade clauses.  Limited upcoming prospects and they've really messed with their goaltending future.  Could they trade the Sedin's as a package?  Who would give up enough and who would have the cap space to take them both on.    Both making $7M for the next 4 years.

I've never really been a fan of Kesler.  His points in the last 5 seasons:

2013 / 14 - 43 Pts (77 games)

2012 / 13 - 13 Pts (17 games)

2011 /12 - 49 pts (77 games)

2010 / 11 - 73 Pts (82 games)

2009 / 10 - 75 Pts (82 games)

If he can be the player he was back in 2009 / 2010, good deal for Anaheim, but thats a long time ago.   Maybe he can regain it with Anaheim.

Vancouver has to be in rebuild mode.  Can't see them making the playoffs again this year, problem is a lot of their players have no trade (or limited) trade clauses.  Limited upcoming prospects and they've really messed with their goaltending future.  Could they trade the Sedin's as a package?  Who would give up enough and who would have the cap space to take them both on.    Both making $7M for the next 4 years.

Buffalo has cap space however Buffalo is in rebuild mode too so to answer the question, outside of Buffalo and they won't cuz it makes no sense for them and doubt sedins would waive to go to buffalo, Nobody. Canucks stuck with the twins for now.

Vancouver wheeling and dealing today.

#Canucks acquire 50th overall pick from Tampa Bay for Jason Garrison, the rights to Jeff Costello and Van's 7th round pick in 2015.

— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks)

June 27, 2014

Let the rebuild begin!

I can understand this as part of a salary dump/draft pick accumulation move, but why on earth would they have to throw in a 7th round pick on top of that?

I think Vancouver did really well in the Kesler trade. I'm not sure he'll ever be the same player again that he was a few years ago. Rumour has it he wasn't well liked by his teammates or office staff either.

I'm not sure when he dropped the Pens from his last, but I'm glad he didn't end up there. The rumoured ask was way too high.

James Neal traded to Nashville.

Barring injury, Hornqvist will put up 35 goals playing with Malkin. First time in his career he'll play with a legit #1 centre.

It will be very interesting to see how Neal does skating with Fisher instead of Malkin. Again barring injury, or more likely for Neal a suspension, I think he'll still be somewhere in the 30s.