Draft Day Trades

Rich

Lots of talk on TSN about Edmonton having to "over-pay" to get players.  I've heard before that Edmonton is one of, if not the worst place for players to go.  its got all the weather issues of Winnipeg but a worse location with an airport that is outside of town.  Winnipeg isn't bad for travelling in and out of.  But the retired players on TSN kept saying winning trumps weather.  Oilers are probably attractive to free agents right now as they are going to very soon turn the page and be a ridiculous team.  Such talent there.

I like the Jets' talent if we were in the East.  Look at the Central Division - who are the Jets going to beat for a playoff spot?

Lots of talk on TSN about Edmonton having to "over-pay" to get players.  I've heard before that Edmonton is one of, if not the worst place for players to go.  its got all the weather issues of Winnipeg but a worse location with an airport that is outside of town.  Winnipeg isn't bad for travelling in and out of.  But the retired players on TSN kept saying winning trumps weather.  Oilers are probably attractive to free agents right now as they are going to very soon turn the page and be a ridiculous team.  Such talent there.

I like the Jets' talent if we were in the East.  Look at the Central Division - who are the Jets going to beat for a playoff spot?

Edmonton is unattractive for one simple reason: all the losing they've done. Once they start winning players should be flocking there for one simple reason... Alberta has the best tax rate of any region with an NHL team. Players in Alberta keep more money in their pocket than anywhere else. 

Thats a good point.  Texas, Florida and I think Tennesee (or is it Arizona) also have zero income tax.  So while it's attractive, its clearly not the deciding factor since players choose many other states.

What seems to be clear from the Jets being back is that people unfamilear with Winnipeg have an inaccurate opinion of the city as the 90's wasteland it was when Jets 1.0 left.  But players who are here rave about the organization and fans and some have spoken quite glowingly of the city also.  Once the team starts winning, I dont think we will have trouble attracting talent.

Chicago looking to maybe trade Patrick Sharpe.  We interested?

Sharp is a great player and I'd love to have him on our team.

We'd better not be interested.  What we'd have to give up to get him we cannot afford to give up.  Chevy has done a good job of not being his own worst enemy.  He's not always chasing after the latest shiny thing.

Some day we might have surplus assets and can make a play for guys like this.  That is years away.

Chevy said something very interesting though.  He said the Jets might be in on deals with teams who over-extended themselves this week.  There are teams at or near the cap that need to trade players and cant really take players back.  Chicago might trade Sharp cheaper than usual for that reason.

Yup. Teams like Chicago Boston and Philly are over or near the cap with lots of players still to sign.

Said it in the other thread, wouldn't shock me to see jets go after a guy like sharp,bickell, read even or maybe even marchand. They could be had for draft picks and maybe the rights to burmistrov, they can't take anybody with money back on their contracts, so its futures or rights to a player. 

Chevy said something very interesting though.  He said the Jets might be in on deals with teams who over-extended themselves this week.  There are teams at or near the cap that need to trade players and cant really take players back.  Chicago might trade Sharp cheaper than usual for that reason.

What I like about free agency is that we don't have to give up prospects to get talent.  We only have to give up money.

What I don't like about free agency is teams are so eager to get a guy that they handcuff themselves on future roster moves.  Scheiffle and Trouba's entry level contracts have two years left - would anyone be happy if they walked because we had too much money tied up in Stastny and 3 years left until his contract was up?

If we're giving up a prospect what we're really giving up is a piece of the future.  If the plan is to shape this team into contenders over the course of the next 3 to 5 years and make runs at the cup for the following decade, where will the "talent" be when this is happening?  If he's still with the team, great.  Then it's worth a prospect because you aren't trading away a piece of the future, you are changing a piece of the future.

If Sharp has several years left on his contract, taking on the salary and giving up something in return could work out for the Jets.  Guess I could just look up his contract.  As long as they continue to account for all the moving pieces, salary included, there may be a responsible way of fitting Sharp in our roster such that it enhances our present and our future.

Sharp is signed through 16/17 at $5.9 million per.

He's a LW which we dont really need in our top six unless they want to bump Ladd down to the "third" line.  if Sharp can play RW, then Im intrigued (and he does shoot right).

With Chicago $2.2 million over the cap they might have to give up Sharp for less than they'd like.  2015 draft picks are going to be considered gold.  Does a 3rd round pick, Burmi's rights and a prospect (and maybe whomever we've got left in the bottom six like Tangradi) do it?  That gives Chicago the cap space it needs, the rights to a potentially great player next year, a valuable draft pic and a bottom six body at a cheap rate.