Calgary vs BC

Brandon

I'd rather have Willy and the first round pick over Glenn....  it just wouldn't of made sense to give up that pick just to get him.      Long term we are better off with two guys who can hopefully play for us in the next 5 seasons.

For BC it was a no brainer...  Lulay is done and Glenn will buy them at least two more seasons. 

Not saying Glenn had to play in front of Willy in order to deprive BC of his services, backup would have be fine and that would have given the Bombers a much stronger QB tandem than they have now.  Bombers had months to work a deal before the draft but were obviously not negotiating with Ottawa. 

In hind sight could have offered Watson or Pencer, Renaud and any number of replaceable starting imports they planned to cut anyway.  No one can say what it would have taken to get Glenn out of Ottawa prior to the draft but the result could have been Joey Elliot taking snaps for the Lions yesterday in place of Kevin Glenn.

Pretty safe to say the cost was a first round pick, what they asked for from the beginning and what the cost ended up being.

Not sure why it is always assumed you can dump your cuts on someone else for a player or other considerations with value.

It's always worth a try.

I'd rather have Willy and the first round pick over Glenn.... it just wouldn't of made sense to give up that pick just to get him. Long term we are better off with two guys who can hopefully play for us in the next 5 seasons.

For BC it was a no brainer... Lulay is done and Glenn will buy them at least two more seasons.

Not saying Glenn had to play in front of Willy in order to deprive BC of his services, backup would have be fine and that would have given the Bombers a much stronger QB tandem than they have now. Bombers had months to work a deal before the draft but were obviously not negotiating with Ottawa.

In hind sight could have offered Watson or Pencer, Renaud and any number of replaceable starting imports they planned to cut anyway. No one can say what it would have taken to get Glenn out of Ottawa prior to the draft but the result could have been Joey Elliot taking snaps for the Lions yesterday in place of Kevin Glenn.

So you would burn a draft pick, delay the development of our own young guys, potentially create a QB controversy all to spite BC?

seems reasonable...

I'd rather have Willy and the first round pick over Glenn.... it just wouldn't of made sense to give up that pick just to get him. Long term we are better off with two guys who can hopefully play for us in the next 5 seasons.

For BC it was a no brainer... Lulay is done and Glenn will buy them at least two more seasons.

Not saying Glenn had to play in front of Willy in order to deprive BC of his services, backup would have be fine and that would have given the Bombers a much stronger QB tandem than they have now. Bombers had months to work a deal before the draft but were obviously not negotiating with Ottawa.

In hind sight could have offered Watson or Pencer, Renaud and any number of replaceable starting imports they planned to cut anyway. No one can say what it would have taken to get Glenn out of Ottawa prior to the draft but the result could have been Joey Elliot taking snaps for the Lions yesterday in place of Kevin Glenn.

So you would burn a draft pick, delay the development of our own young guys, potentially create a QB controversy all to spite BC?

seems reasonable...

seems reasonable...

No, never said that.   I'd offer up the kitchen sink before a draft pick though.  Bombers have around 30 new players this year so in the off-season they had plenty of expendable capital to work with.  As it does not seem that Ottawa was getting any offers for Glenn's services I believe they would have accepted less if a deal would have been made well in advance of draft day.  I don't believe Walters bothered to try and that's the rub.

BTW  Lions just beat Calgary handily with their backup QB....think about it.

seems reasonable...

seems reasonable...

No, never said that.   I'd offer up the kitchen sink before a draft pick though.  Bombers have around 30 new players this year so in the off-season they had plenty of expendable capital to work with.  As it does not seem that Ottawa was getting any offers for Glenn's services I believe they would have accepted less if a deal would have been made well in advance of draft day.  I don't believe Walters bothered to try and that's the rub.

BTW  Lions just beat Calgary handily with their backup QB....think about it.

Now that is some classic sports message board logic.  Wish real-life was that simple.