Mike Richards

Looks like Gary Lawless is on the same page as a few of us ;)   Also interesting note about Jokinen.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Fit-for-a-King-262643351.html

Mike Richards is exactly what the Winnipeg Jets need.

If he hits the market, the Jets will have as strong an opportunity to sign him as any team in the NHL. It’ll be a deal they’ll have to get done.

Richards is a driver, not a follower. He’s a competitor of a different stripe and there are only a handful of players in the NHL with the kind of will he brings to the game.

Put it this way: The Jets have a list of players that opponents look at and say, "we can push him and him and him out of the game." It’s a big factor in the games they lose.

Richards doesn’t get pushed out of games. He does the pushing. He’s smart, he’s a little dirty and he’s been around. He’s no longer a top-six player, but a third-line centre who can draw some growl from a team’s engine.

The Jets currently have baby teeth. Richards has fangs. If the Los Angeles Kings elect to buy out the remainder of Richards’ contract, the Jets need to be in the bidding. Three years at $4 million per year. Or more. The market for free-agent centres is thin this summer. But unlike lots of coveted free agents, Richards will consider Winnipeg. His roots, past and future, are here. The 29-year-old is from Kenora, Ont., with a summer home on the lake and his girlfriend is a Winnipeg-born doctor. There are lots of reasons for Richards to place Winnipeg high on his list of potential destinations.

Kings GM Dean Lombardi must weigh the worth of Richards as a player in the bigger picture of the Kings chasing future Stanley Cups against the centreman’s hefty contract. There’s been lots of talk regarding a possible buyout of Richards’ contract, which would cost the Kings just north of $19 million.

The Jets used 35-year-old Olli Jokinen as their third-line centre last season at a rate of $4.5 million and he collected 18 goals and 25 assists. Jokinen appears to have some good hockey left in him. He's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. 

"We haven’t heard a thing from the Jets," said Jokinen’s agent, Ian Pulver. "I understood we would talk. But it hasn’t transpired. We’ll see where it goes. I don’t know Winnipeg’s plans."

Richards is a player with a winning pedigree that already includes an Olympic gold medal and a Stanley Cup. It’s likely he and the Kings will add a second Cup any day now.

One NHL GM described Richards like this on Tuesday: "He still has that predator mentality. Maybe he can’t cover 200 feet like he once could, but he’s still a very good third-line centre. He can still nullify good players. He can kill penalties and win draws. He adds strength and depth down the middle. At the right price, Richards is still a good piece. L.A. has a decision to make. I know the coaching staff won’t be happy to see him leave if that’s the way they decide to go."

The price is really the only reason this conversation is taking place. Richards has six years left on his contract with a cash value of $29 million remaining and an annual cap hit of $5.75 million.

For a player who appears to be slowing down and has spent most of the post-season anchoring the Kings’ fourth line, that’s a lot of money. Over 82 games this past season, he had 11 goals and 30 assists.

Can the Kings’ chemistry and stability down the middle of the ice survive the loss of Richards? Or is it better to overpay for a player who, despite having lost a step, is still a valuable part of a winning combination? That’s the decision Lombardi faces.

For the Jets, it’s a no-brainer. Richards would set a standard of competition in the Jets dressing room and on the ice. It’ll be easy from the perspective of the coaching staff and management to see who matches up and who doesn’t.

The Jets need a player willing to grab the rest of the team by the throat.Richards has the credibility and the willingness to execute such an action.

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff should be drooling and hoping. So should you

Id make a trade if the Kings take back some salary.

Third line of Halischuk - Richards - Frolik looks good to me. Make it Marchand - Richards - Frolik and I'm drooling.

LOL marchand would go for kane, it would be marchand scheifele wheeler for sure.

a trade wont happen, i think he will be bought out, he has lots of term remaining on that deal, 6.75 or so a year, kings probably will buy him out, they will resign gaborik, muzzin is a soon to be  free agent also. If they do, there is a good chance he comes here. I'll go on record saying IF the kings buy him out, he's a jet. 

Richards is only 29 but he's got the mileage of a 35+ year old. That said, if LA buys him out of his contract and we can get him at reasonable rates ($4 to 5 million) he'd be worth the investment. 

Essentially, he's a more vibrant version of Andrew Ladd, another guy who shouldn't be trolling the 1st line of any NHL club. (and Ladd is only 28)

With all the personal stuff Lawless mentioned it would be a no-brainer for RIchards to finish out his career in Wpg. with a solid 3-year committment.

If he can play 70 to 72 games in good shape, provide winning leadership and pot some points he'd push the Jets to near-playoff country. I say near playoff cuz there's still a problem named Ondrej....

Id make a trade if the Kings take back some salary.

Third line of Halischuk - Richards - Frolik looks good to me. Make it Marchand - Richards - Frolik and I'm drooling.

LOL marchand would go for kane, it would be marchand scheifele wheeler for sure.

a trade wont happen, i think he will be bought out, he has lots of term remaining on that deal, 6.75 or so a year, kings probably will buy him out, they will resign gaborik, muzzin is a soon to be  free agent also. If they do, there is a good chance he comes here. I'll go on record saying IF the kings buy him out, he's a jet. 

If Lombardi is smart and knowing Richards personal situation he probably will try to negotiate a trade where he gives us Richards, swallows a majority of Mike's salary (less than the buyout) and gets a prospect or pick in the process. Thats what the great GMs do and Lombardi is right up there.

nobody will touch richards contract even if LA keeps some of the salary which they wont. 

Not sure why you crapping on LADD either, he's been very good here so far, putting up lots of goals and points, very responsible defensively. Ladd is solid. Wish people would stop pretending he hasn't been.

Yeah i've never understood the Ladd hate by some.  The guy was a 3rd line LW on a very deep Blackhawks Cup winner.  He's been our best LW, justifying his position on the top line.  In 2013-14 he arguably moved to the 2nd line with Little.  He's scored like a top line guy.  Plays with effort.  He doesnt have the most God given talent but works hard with what he has.  He's a smart player.

If he deserves any criticism, it would only be that as Captain, the Jets appeared to give up on Noel, so he has to shoulder some of that.  But it happens to a lot of teams. 

If Chevy gets wild this summer, we could potentially see:

Marchand - Schief - Wheeler

Ladd - Little - Sharp

Halischuk - Richards - Frolik

But Sharp is doubtful...just some speculation i read elseware.  And if you believe rumours, Chicago would love to have Ladd back.

Yeah i've never understood the Ladd hate by some.  The guy was a 3rd line LW on a very deep Blackhawks Cup winner.  He's been our best LW, justifying his position on the top line.  In 2013-14 he arguably moved to the 2nd line with Little.  He's scored like a top line guy.  Plays with effort.  He doesnt have the most God given talent but works hard with what he has.  He's a smart player.

If he deserves any criticism, it would only be that as Captain, the Jets appeared to give up on Noel, so he has to shoulder some of that.  But it happens to a lot of teams. 

If Chevy gets wild this summer, we could potentially see:

Marchand - Schief - Wheeler

Ladd - Little - Sharp

Halischuk - Richards - Frolik

But Sharp is doubtful...just some speculation i read elseware.  And if you believe rumours, Chicago would love to have Ladd back.

I like it, but i'd probably look at replacing halischuk. Not a huge fan, pretty small.. kind of injury prone a bit. Perhaps a kid from the rock could fill his spot or a free agent signing. Just not sure who.

I love this article... Kings have never talked about moving Richards or buying him out and they are not in cap trouble - unless they decide to keep Gaborik, which I doubt they will.  More space will be freed up by Willie Mitchell too... they have another cheap year from Toffoli and Jones if they choose.

Lawless had a few drinks while watching the game and wrote an article.  The end.

Lawless is fairly well connected in the NHL rumour mill. Usually if he is writing about it, there is at least some smoke to back up the fire.

Not a guarantee by and means. But I don't think he just made this up.

I love this article... Kings have never talked about moving Richards or buying him out and they are not in cap trouble - unless they decide to keep Gaborik, which I doubt they will. More space will be freed up by Willie Mitchell too... they have another cheap year from Toffoli and Jones if they choose.

Lawless had a few drinks while watching the game and wrote an article. The end.

This is one of the most uninformed posts I've read on here. People have been talking about Mike Richards being a potential buy out for awhile now. He's making almost six million bucks a year for several years while filling a 4th line role on a deep team and you think there's no truth to the idea the Kings might consider buying him out? Lol

I love this article... Kings have never talked about moving Richards or buying him out and they are not in cap trouble - unless they decide to keep Gaborik, which I doubt they will.  More space will be freed up by Willie Mitchell too... they have another cheap year from Toffoli and Jones if they choose.

Lawless had a few drinks while watching the game and wrote an article.  The end.

Lawless spent a lot of time working his way up the food chain and seems to have a bit of a complex about it - hence the axes he grinds when he feels he's being disrespected, BUT he is also the hardest working sports reporter in Winnipeg.  Despite occasionally getting lumped together he is the anti-Friesen (the absolute laziest sports reporter in Winnipeg).  He digs and digs, works his leads and connections non-stop.  He has no axe to grind in this story; to assume it is baseless is to ignore a person who takes his job very seriously.

Count me among the people that didnt like Lawless a few years ago.  He won me over with his solid reporting, good sources, hard work, thoughtful insights and the fact his opinions are usually grounded in logic, even if what he says is something people dont want to hear.  he also seems like a nice guy (I met him once but he wasnt talkative as he was doing H&L from Pier 7 at the time).

Im sure he's also had to deal with a lot of "Lawless?? He sucks cause he's fat!" nonsense.

The problem Lawless has is that he's really the stereotypical media douchebag. If he likes someone then it's great but if he's got an axe to grind with someone being an objective reporter is out the window and he's dragging people through the mud. I really have a dislike for media people with personal vendettas. 

The problem Lawless has is that he's really the stereotypical media douchebag. If he likes someone then it's great but if he's got an axe to grind with someone being an objective reporter is out the window and he's dragging people through the mud. I really have a dislike for media people with personal vendettas. 

I completely agree.  I also think his work ethic is second to none among Winnipeg's sports reporters.  He'll often arrive at the same destination as Friesen despite having a nearly opposite approach.  You simply have to take the good with the bad and keep an eye open to see which version of him is delivering the story.

There is no reason to think anything he says in this story is not up to snuff.

I have not found this to be true. Examples?

I have not found this to be true. Examples?

His Bomber coverage last year per and post firings. He didn't like Mack and everything was over the top mud slinging, he likes Kyle Walters and it's all sunshine and roses. Guy is a self important media douchebag there is no question about that. If he wouldn't make things personal I'd have a lot more respect for him.

I don't really think things are personal for Lawaless. After reading his articles and listening to him daily, when he starts turning on someone, like he did with Mack it is usually due to inside information from sources that he can't report on.