Four Winnipeg Rifles to attend training camp

Mike

REC Kurt Goodrich

FB Tariq Lachance

DL Spencer Riche

OL Braiden Watson

I don't know much about the Rifles football program, but I know Kurt Goodrich and he's flat out good. For as good as Brett Carter was, Goodrich is better. I think he set the PFC record for receiving yards this year (can't confirm 100%) with 980+ and he had a 24 yard per catch average. Led the conference in yards receiving by about 250 or more and caught more touchdowns than anyone too.

Could make some noise with the club.

I have grown up with Spencer Riche and is a good friend of mine. The kid is raw, but damn can he play. Big dude who's quick off the line with natural ability. Hits like a truck. He's been working out with Doug Brown and doing all the right things. This camp will be good for him.

4 Rifles is at least 2 more junior/university players than I can remember ever being invited before.  That's fantastic.  Good on the Bombers for doing what should be a no-brainer every year - getting the junior programs involved.  The Bombers get a free look at some guys, the players get exposure to a pro camp and pro players and coaches.  Win win win win win.

It seems like this became a area of focus since Miller and Walters have come aboard. They want to foster a great relationship with the Rifles to try to keep some of the better players from going to other areas of the country to play junior football. Look for them to recruit players where CIS football is not in their plans to play for the Rifles. 

Got a bit of a laugh with them listing Watson at 285, if he's more than 260 he's really packed on the pounds fast.  

Goodrich is a guy with pro potential for sure.  Not sure about his eligibility as a territorial exemption because I believe he spent at least one season with the Bisons, and I think part of last season too before he went back to the Rifles.  I've watched Goodrich since he was 14, coached teams that have played against him.  He's as dominant as a receiver as there's been in Winnipeg at the high school level in a long time, keeping in mind a guy like Demski who came through as a tailback, but has mostly played receiver for the Bisons and likely will in the CFL too.

This is an excellent opportunity for these 4 players to develop their skills.

Goodrich did spend one year with the Bisons, not sure if he ever played, but was definately with the Rifles from start to finish for the last few years.   Having watched both Carter and Goodrich in their time with the Rifles, best comparison I could give was that Carter was a Joe Poplawski type of receiver...run great routes, and catch everything thrown to him.  Goodrich was more of a Milt style, make the catch and go to the house....once he gets in open field, not likely to be caught at the CJFL level.   I'll be watching to see how he performs against the pros.   Goodrich works as hard or harder in the gym than most pro players....he would definately be on the radar for the Bombers.  I believe he may be the best amateur receiver in the province, right there with Nick Demski....both can go out an win games for their teams.  

Riche was dominant by mid-season for the Rifles last year, especially in the home game against Regina (Rifles won that one against the team that went on the win the national championship)   He's a big kid from Brandon with long arms, and explosive start.  He's a couple of years younger than Goodrich.

Watson is a strong OL with good feet and decent technique.  The o-line coach for the Rifles is one of the top o-line coaches for developing young players, and he has brought Watson along very well. 

Lachance previously played d-line and has just been converted to full back this offseason.  Running back coach for the Rifles is former Bomber Brett McNeil, so you know the fullbacks will be taught how to block properly.

The Bomber-Rifle relationship has never been stronger as the new regime at the Bombers understand the system and are committed to developing Canadian players.  The Rifles were very competitive last year under a rookie head coach.  They play in by far the toughest division of the CJFL (Prairie Football Conference)   The PFC has won 15 of the last 20 national championships, so getting out of the division is the biggest challenge.   I expect that the Rifles will finally break through this year.  Coach Karhut has a year under his belt, and the talent is there.

I suspect that all 4 will be returned to the Rifles, but may be invited to practice with the Bombers all season long to learn systems and develop their skills.   This is how Andrew Harris was brought along in BC.   I don't think Joe Mack was interested, but Kyle Walters, Wade Miller, and Mike O'Shea know how this system works.  BC, Calgary, and Saskatchewan  have made use of the special relationship between the CJFL and the CFL for years, and so it's great to see the Bombers recognizing the potential.    Rifles new logo incorporates the "W" from the Bombers and the Bombers were involved in the press conference to release the new look.  

Goodrich did spend one year with the Bisons, not sure if he ever played, but was definately with the Rifles from start to finish for the last few years.   Having watched both Carter and Goodrich in their time with the Rifles, best comparison I could give was that Carter was a Joe Poplawski type of receiver...run great routes, and catch everything thrown to him.  Goodrich was more of a Milt style, make the catch and go to the house....once he gets in open field, not likely to be caught at the CJFL level.   I'll be watching to see how he performs against the pros.   Goodrich works as hard or harder in the gym than most pro players....he would definately be on the radar for the Bombers.  I believe he may be the best amateur receiver in the province, right there with Nick Demski....both can go out an win games for their teams.  

I went to high school with him, he's a year younger than me I think. When I graduated, he was a total beanpole. When I played against him in PIT a year ago, I couldn't believe how much he had blown up. He's built like a pro receiver now for sure. I definitely wouldn't doubt his commitment to hitting the gym.

I remember playing against Goodrich in our final season of high school. He almost single handily gave West K the win over us. I was surprised he wasn't playing for St.Paul or Oak Park. Watson is an interesting one, I don't think he played football until his last year or so of high school. But, he's a big strong guy It'll be interesting to see how he develops