Virtual View Of McMahon Stadium & ST Price Comparison

iso_55

Prices are similar, looks like there are more "cheap seats" towards the endzones in Calgary...and I'd be all over the midfield seats in the top rows for $350.  You aren't getting those in Winnipeg.  I'd assume almost all of those are locked in by season ticket holders in Calgary.  I'd also be pissed if I paid $786 to sit in row 44 with the guy in row 45 paying $350.

That's neat though, haven't seen Virtual Venue used with an older facilty before.

Prices are similar, looks like there are more "cheap seats" towards the endzones in Calgary...and I'd be all over the midfield seats in the top rows for $350.  You aren't getting those in Winnipeg.  I'd assume almost all of those are locked in by season ticket holders in Calgary.  I'd also be pissed if I paid $786 to sit in row 44 with the guy in row 45 paying $350.

That's neat though, haven't seen Virtual Venue used with an older facilty before.

Only 20,000 ST holders in Calgary. They get a great walk up of 7-8,000 for most games. They used to have 25,000 ST holders a few years back but the stadium is old. It looks nice in the virtual venue but the concourses were built in 1960 when the stadium held 18,000 seats & now it is doubled & the crowd is wall to wall people before, halftime & after games underneath the stands. It's like a dark dungeon. The washrooms are crowded with long lineups. Concessions are expensive & the beer waits can be 20 mins or more. The  team has lost between 3-5,000 ST holders who don't want to sit in an old building anymore. Great team but the attendance has fallen yearly the past 3 seasons quite dramatically. The team needs a new stadium but there is absolutely no talk of one being built. The Flames want a new arena & that's where the $$$ will be spent. Basically it's **** the Stampeders as far as local business & politicians go. Too bad as the team is doing great on the field. The Stamps should be smashing attendance records selling the stadium out but they're not. 

Those cheaper seats you speak of are high, believe me. And they're real steep above the upper walkway on both the East & West grandstand.. They are Winnipeg Arena upper deck steep. No safety railings which is hard to believe.  If someone fell it'd be nasty...I had season tickets up there one season & moved the next year. I hated those seats because they were so steep. Now, people don't want to sit in them up there. That area is never sold out. 

That virtual chart is misleading. That is for season ticket prices only. If you weren't a season ticket holder & wanted to buy a game day ticket in the cheap seats last season would have cost you $32. If you ever watch a Stamps home game, the seats not sold out are the cheap seats in the upper 4 corners from the 15  yard line into the end zones. Fans have rightfully complained here those seats are way overpriced but the Stamps refuse to adjust them to make them worthwhile buying to someone who just decides at the last minute they want to go to a game. And, just so you know the Stamps have been under some criticism for raising their ticket prices substantially the past 5 years, something like 45%. So, combine yearly hefty ticket increases & an old stadium you get what is happening, attendance free fall in Calgary even though the team is outstanding.

The average attendance has fallen from 32,000 4 years ago to about 28,000 this past season. The only thing  that propped attendance up in 2013 were the Labour Day game & 2 Rider games here at McMahon. Without those, attendance may have averaged just 26,000.

There is a sense now that the team may be gouging & to a lot of people there's not a sense of good value for the money. Most casual game day seats available for general walk up between the goal lines were in a range from $97 a seat on the 55 yard line to $59 on the goal line. The seats above the upper walkway from goal line to goal line were $48. Those were prices for just a single game. And it priced out a lot of people who may have wanted to take in a game

As far as season ticket prices go, they don't list them on the website for individual games. But in 2013 with 10 home games it's easy to  figure out. ST prices for the Stampeders ranged from $763.65 on the 55 yard line to $458.55 on the goal line. The seats above the upper walkway were $340.50

Last fall before the Western Final, CHQR radio here in Calgary who are the rights holders for Stamps game had an hour long segment on their sports call in talk show asking the question why can't the Stamps sell out McMahon Stadium & asking fans if they do or don't go to the games.. A lot of worry & concern was expressed.

The 2 biggest things that fans felt hurt Stamps attendance was high ticket prices & TSN HD which does not black out  home games. Fans calling in said that people can now stay home & watch games in the comfort of their own living room & not sit thru cold, snow,  rain & heat. As well as not having to pay outrageous prices for food & drinks. Or put up with long lines at the washrooms & beer vendors. The sentiment was that since the CFL has a rich, new television contract every team's home games will continue to be televised on TSN HD to their local market. The advertisers don't want major markets like Southern Ontario, Montreal or the Lower Mainland blacked out.

The condition of McMahon Stadium was mentioned as fans talked about the new buildings in Winnipeg, Hamilton, Regina & the refurbs in BC & Ottawa. Fans want a new stadium in Calgary but the will isn't there to even do a major refurb to McMahon Stadium from politicians  or business leaders. Not from Nenshi, Calgary's mayor who publicly said, "Why do they need a new stadium for when they already have one"? The man doesn't know anything about sports & doesn't care. The same can be said of our Premier Alison Redford. There'll be no $$$ coming from the Tories for a stadium.

The exact same thing has been said in Calgary. The end zone seats sit empty game after game at $32 a seat so why not reduce the price & sell them for $15??? Half of something is better than nothing at all. But the Stamps don't listen. I guess they count on those Rider & Eskimo games for people to buy them. There is a certain arrogance from a team that knows nothing but winning seasons for the better part of  2 decades.

Those corner endzone seats are a good deal in Calgary..although they really shouldn't be paying more considering it's bench seating and the state of the stadium itself.

As a comparison - $254 and $215 at Mcmahon while in Winnipeg those seats sell for $597 and $494

10 yard line to the endzone - $471 at Mcmahon, Winnipeg  at $597

10 yard line to the 20 - 25 yard line -  $635 - $641 at Mcmahon, Winnipeg at $814

20- 25 yard line to the 20 - 25 yard line - $786 -$793 at Mcmahon, Winnipeg at $814 with another 1000 or so club seats at $1500

There aren't seats at the back of the endzones in Calgary like Winnipeg so no really comparable there although it should be noted that the Bombers charge an outrageous $388 for those.  A rip- off when you consider at the old stadium those endzone seats sold for $170.

If you use the seats above the walkway at Mcmahon as a comparable to the upper deck seats at Investors then

Corner upper deck seats - $215 at Mcmahon, $249 in Winnipeg

Seats from goal line to the 20 yard line - $350 at Mcmahon, $334 in Winnipeg

Seats from the 20 yard line - 20 yard line - $350 at Mcmahon, $464 - $597 at Winnipeg

So other than one area of McMahon, Winnipeg's prices are more expensive, sometimes considerably moreso...although that's how it should be, considering we have a new stadium here.

I think Calgary had 30,000 season ticket holders back in 2009 - the year they held the Grey Cup.  Plus, I think they averaged 35,000 per game - basically a sellout.  So there should be some concern over the dropoff in attendance.

I keep hearing from a few Calgary posters on other forums who seem to be convinced that an announcement is imminent for a Stadium/Arena proposal all at one location.  West Village is rumoured to be one of the preferred sites.  Guess we will see how things shake out this year, but I do have to say that would be one expensive project..probably in the neighbourhood of $750 million - $1 billion.

Good idea by the Stamps, kind of surprised me since this is the first time I've seen a virtual venue done with an old stadium.

As for the season ticket prices they're affordable in this day and age and more affordable then what we're seeing here in the 'Peg, single game tickets is another matter though, to go from $19.55 to $33 for White and family zone is a big jump. Also wondering, now that Rogers Place has a confirmed start date, how long before Calgary announces their stadium/arena plans ?

Good idea by the Stamps, kind of surprised me since this is the first time I've seen a virtual venue done with an old stadium.

As for the season ticket prices they're affordable in this day and age and more affordable then what we're seeing here in the 'Peg, single game tickets is another matter though, to go from $19.55 to $33 for White and family zone is a big jump. Also wondering, now that Rogers Place has a confirmed start date, how long before Calgary announces their stadium/arena plans ?

Yeah, the old stadium is hurting attendance now. People truly think that tickets are overpriced & are staying away.mostly because McMahon lacks a lot of comforts. The real complaint is how ST prices have jumped. There are fans considering bailing  on the team because of  it. As far as a new stadium for the Stamps & arena for the Flames, count on a new arena getting done  somewhere but I have my doubts about a stadium. We'll see. People here on forums are talking about "rumours" of a stadium/arena complex but to be quite honest there's been absolutely no talk or no leaks other than a rendering of a new Flames arena with seating configuration changes on the internet. 

Exactly. That's why for some  games the walkup is very small. No one wants to pay those prices in the cheap seats. No announcement even close to being done. 

Calgary just has too many douchebags who would rather follow UFC and **** like that or desperately want to be "big time" and only care about the NFL. 

So basically Calgary wants to be like Toronto ?

Calgary just has too many douchebags who would rather follow UFC and **** like that or desperately want to be "big time" and only care about the NFL. 

So basically Calgary wants to be like Toronto ?

Except for the fake cowboy worship in Calgary- they even have "Cowboy Churches" where everyone has to dress like cowpersons and the sermon is delivered in cowperson idioms. Strange but true.

Are you talking about rig pig types? 

Always found it weird that cities so far away from NFL cities would only care about the NFL.  It's not like it's an option to drive to one of those cities to catch a game.  Well, I guess it is if you want to drive 12 hours from Calgary to Seattle or 15 hours from Edmonton to Seattle.  I guess I can understand it for places like Vancouver, Hamilton, Toronto which have the NFL right at their doorstep, and to a lesser degree, Montreal, Winnipeg, Ottawa which have the NFL within reasonable driving distance.  Just weird that a place like Calgary would have so many people that care about the NFL when it's not a reasonable option to view in-person.

I wonder if all the inter-provincial migration and migration from other countries that is factoring in static or declining attendance in Calgary.  People from other countries don't understand nor care about football so they choose not to go.  And people from other provinces either didn't care about the CFL to begin with or choose not to support the Stamps, instead keeping their loyalties with their old hometown.  

Are you talking about rig pig types? 

Always found it weird that cities so far away from NFL cities would only care about the NFL.  It's not like it's an option to drive to one of those cities to catch a game.  Well, I guess it is if you want to drive 12 hours from Calgary to Seattle or 15 hours from Edmonton to Seattle.  I guess I can understand it for places like Vancouver, Hamilton, Toronto which have the NFL right at their doorstep, and to a lesser degree, Montreal, Winnipeg, Ottawa which have the NFL within reasonable driving distance.  Just weird that a place like Calgary would have so many people that care about the NFL when it's not a reasonable option to view in-person.

I wonder if all the inter-provincial migration and migration from other countries that is factoring in static or declining attendance in Calgary.  People from other countries don't understand nor care about football so they choose not to go.  And people from other provinces either didn't care about the CFL to begin with or choose not to support the Stamps, instead keeping their loyalties with their old hometown.  

I've lived in Calgary for a long time & I think 17's comments are over the top. We like the NFL  as much as any other city. But we aren't NFL wannabees. The NHL hurts CFL teams because they are competing for the sports dollar & there is just so much to go around. Not many people can afford Stamps & Flames season tickets. The media is constantly following the Flames. The Stamps though, don't do much to help themselves in the winter marketing their team as they always hang a sign on their corporate office doors after the season that says, "See You In Six Months". They become invisible. This season has been busier with the expansion draft & all the coaches moving around but generally a normal CFL off season in Calgary means virtually zero activity. The team can go weeks without being in the media.,

The Stamps are very much a second-class citizen in Calgary, on par with (and sometimes, I feel, below...) the Hitmen, in terms of public conscience. It's a city that has a serious Toronto-esque attitude about it that really wants to be BIG TIME. They look at the CFL as very small-time...

Don't agree, Noeller. I've lived here too long to know that's not true. The Hitmen are #3 in popularity with the Stamps #2. But people aren't buying tickets to the games at McMahon for 2 reasons. The stadium is old. Two, the high ticket price for walkups. People like the Hitmen but the crowds that go there are mostly parents with little kids just starting hockey with tickets being family affordable. (Something the CFL is not anymore). The Roughnecks? Well I'm surprised that pro lacrosse in Calgary has lasted as long as it has. Not a lot of people care. The NFL will never come to Calgary, neither will the NBA or MLB. People know that so the desire to be a big league city isn't there. Calgary sports fans here know with the NHL, it is as big of a big league city as it's going to get. There's never been any talk of trying to get an NFL or NBA team from any politician or business leader. They'd be laughed at. 

As a former resident of Calgary myself, I think that interprovincial migration definitely hurts the Stamps somewhat. They do nothing to lure new residents to their team. I, also, think that a lot of long time Calgarians have a sort of elitist attitude towards the rest of Canada in general and believe that they are too cool for school and do not want to associate with a league in Canada. I spent a year and a half in Calgary, albeit 25 years ago, running a couple of bars on what was Electric Avenue. People were great until they found out you were from Manitoba or Saskatchewan and then they shunned you. I couldn't take the clique like culture there anymore and went home. Best decision I ever made.

I've lived in Calgary for a long time & I think 17's comments are over the top. We like the NFL  as much as any other city. But we aren't NFL wannabees. 

They really are. I play a bunch of rec league stuff and I always have jokes made at my expense for wearing Bomber gear, not because the Bombers suck, but because the CFL is a joke to these people. Yes there are CFL fans in Calgary, but most of them are rider fans. True Stamps fans are a rare breed because people are either like I said Rider fans or NFL fans because they have to follow what is hyped the most.