NFL tryouts

gbill2004

GCn11, you mention Bighill but there is also Elimimian in BC as well. Where would Henoc line up there?

Plus teams are still basing their budgets on the 2013 cap so that could affect whether some teams can offer the big bucks. The Riders could be in a tough position to make an offer especially if the rumours are true about their cap situation.

It's not a static situation, contracts aren't guaranteed and the cap is not tallied until the end of the calendar year (unlike other leagues where even in the off-season you can only be a certain % over the cap).  If a team can land a top NI like Muamba, they will make the changes necessary to make it work.

Every team in the CFL will have an offer sheet in front of Henoc if he is an unsigned FA in February who is not NFL bound. Even B.C. They may like Bighill but I guarantee they would still go after Henoc. There isn't a team in the league with the exception of whoever has Emry that wouldn't like a high level NI ratio busting MLB. The level of commitment they show to the pursuit is the difference imo.

The team that worries me most in competition for him is the Riders. They are likely losing Butler, have an aging, injured vet at MLB that they may not want anymore, and a GM with a history of overpaying if necessary. I will suggest that they may be our direct competition for HM if there is a bidding war for him.

Totally disagree that every team would make Henroc an offer.  

Teams would have to rejig their ratio and find a decent backup NI MLB or waste a DI spot on an American backup which would also create a second change if Henroc gets injured..  

Muamba wants top $ so most teams would have to rejig their SMS and some teams simply don't have the room.  

Teams who are happy with their MLB situation are paying their MLB significantly less money than Muamba will get so they wouldn't have any big reason to pay him top $.

Teams with 7 good starting NI's have no reason to pay big for a 'ratio busting' MLB.

IMO Ottawa and Winnipeg are the only two CFL teams who would really want and can afford H Muamba.

It's not a static situation, contracts aren't guaranteed and the cap is not tallied until the end of the calendar year (unlike other leagues where even in the off-season you can only be a certain % over the cap). If a team can land a top NI like Muamba, they will make the changes necessary to make it work.

I know that but that doesn't change the fact that teams won't know what the cap will be in February and some teams may not have as much cap space as we assume.

I'm not saying there won't be a lot if interest in Muamba if he goes to FA. I'm just saying it might not be every team.

It's not a static situation, contracts aren't guaranteed and the cap is not tallied until the end of the calendar year (unlike other leagues where even in the off-season you can only be a certain % over the cap). If a team can land a top NI like Muamba, they will make the changes necessary to make it work.

I know that but that doesn't change the fact that teams won't know what the cap will be in February and some teams may not have as much cap space as we assume.

I'm not saying there won't be a lot if interest in Muamba if he goes to FA. I'm just saying it might not be every team.

Teams have 100% of their cap space available before week 1 minus any roster bonuses or salary deferrals they have paid.

I don't understand what you're talking about with teams not knowing what the cap will be.  The new CBA is unlikely to have any effect before 2015 and there is zero chance that the SMS limit is lower than 2013.

If you want a good read on what we're doing at the Shrine game etc., before these guys get NFL tryouts, check out the this article in the Free Press.

"In previous years, the Bombers sent one or two scouts to the event. Now Walters is wearing the GM hat, and this time assistant GMs Danny McManus and Ted Goveia are with him. Head coach Mike O'Shea is also holed up in that St. Pete Beach hotel, and so is national scout Drew Morris. When they aren't at practice, they are comparing notes."

View the full article

Then they have the tryouts in LA and Tampa.

That's good business.

Teams have 100% of their cap space available before week 1 minus any roster bonuses or salary deferrals they have paid.

I don't understand what you're talking about with teams not knowing what the cap will be. The new CBA is unlikely to have any effect before 2015 and there is zero chance that the SMS limit is lower than 2013.

There was a lot of talk that the Riders did defer a bunch of salaries and bonuses to 2014 and there are players who have clauses in their contracts giving them a raise in 2014 based on how much the cap goes up this year (Ricky Ray is one example).

The new CBA will have a higher maximum cap this season but no one knows whether it will be a little or a lot so teams are playing it safe by budgeting at the 2013 cap levels according to reports I've seen.

From Thursdays Winnipeg Sun:

NO NEWS

The biggest name among Winnipeg's 18 potential free agents is middle linebacker Henoc Muamba, the East Division's most outstanding Canadian in 2013.

Muamba's agent, Johnathon Hardaway, offered a "no comment" when asked Thursday about the state of negotiations with the Bombers. Muamba is trying to land an NFL contract and has had contact with at least the Minnesota Vikings and Denver Broncos, but at last report a CFL source said "there has been interest but no real offers" for the first overall pick in the 2011 CFL draft.

BIG INTEREST

Receiver Chris Matthews is another Bomber whose contract expires next month, and his agent, Rodney Edwards, said Thursday "everything is still up in the air."

Matthews has had workouts with 10 NFL teams but no offer as of yet.

"With 10 workouts you would think somebody will sign him," Edwards said. "The workouts have gone very well. He's done very, very well for himself."

Edwards won't petition the Bombers to release Matthews early if he gets an offer from an NFL squad, noting there is nothing a player has to do before off-season workouts begin in March. That being said, Edwards said he wants to have his client's NFL future settled one way or another before the start of the league's scouting combine on Feb. 22.

Matthews played in only five games during the 2013 campaign due to back and foot injuries. He was the CFL's rookie of the year in 2012 after catching 81 balls for 1,192 receiving yards.