Site Not Working In Explorer?

I can't stand the black background either, white with black text is so much easier to read.

Dark backgrounds with light text are an abomination. It's like every website that does it is just trying to be edgy and different and screaming for attention because look how COOL it looks! Give me a nice clean design anyday. Black text on white background is a standard for a reason.

This site works fine with my laptop on IE. I have Windows 7. My desktop has Windows XP. This is the only website on the entire internet I can't log onto using Windows XP. I can access it on Google Chrome but I'm used to using IE so having to change to another browser is annoying. Instead of telling us IE sucks or we (who have older versions of Windows) need to spend $$ to get Windows 7 to access this site, how about you fix this? How come I can access Ourbombers with Windows XP? Stampsfans, Calgarypuck.com, CFL Zone, 13thman, etc....Why is this site having so many problems being accessed by so many people?

Despite everything that has been said in this thread, I am going to respond to this anyway.

If you really want to know the reason to some of those questions you ask, I will give you some links to read:

http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/01/the-impending-crisis-that-is-windows-xp.html

http://theie8countdown.com/

In all honesty, I expect you to read to about the second paragraph of that first web page and stop reading.  Most people don't care about all that crap.

If you take my shots at IE personally because it happens to be the browser you are used to, then you have my sincerest apology for hurting your sensibilities.  In truth, my shots are not directed at you, but at Microsoft because for years they perpetuated a browser that did not conform to industry agreed upon standards and force everyone who made a website to create it and make it run in at least 2 ways, 1 for most browsers and 1 for Internet Explorer. And while their current version of IE works, they have millions and millions of people out there using old versions in which their technology has made it impossible for people running XP to upgrade to their current browser (even though those same people can run current versions of other browsers).  So my frustration is that their negligence causes me to invest hours of my time to make things work for people.

So you want me to "fix" this stuff?   Well I want Microsoft to fix their mess.  

Why can you access those other sites, well most of them were created some years ago when things were different on the Web.  Technology moves on, browsers like Chrome update themselves automatically so they don't run into this problem, but the whole web community is still stuck with the old legacy IE browsers.  And while OB's new look works for you, as I've told you before, the only way I can "fix" this site to work properly for you on XP is to change the entire visual skin of the site. The new skin they chose happens to work on IE.   Why am I reluctant to change the skin to make the site work for IE/XP?  Well, I will tell you...

If you read through the first link I have above, they suggest that over the next couple of years, people on XP and IE8 are going to start running into problems like you are seeing here more and more.  Why?  because more and more people are finally getting off of those old platforms and it will no longer make sense financially for websites to continue to invest in all the extra time and effort to make them work on the older browsers.

That link above also makes mention that after April of next year, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP.  So browser (and this site's) issues aside, anyone using XP after that point in time is putting their digital lives and information in jeopardy by continuing to use it. Spammers and hackers are chomping at the bit for this date, because it will be a free for all for them.  This is the last paragraph of that link:

2013 will see the culmination of all these issues; support for IE 8 will drop off rapidly, users of XP will find an increasingly broken web, the cost of building software in XP organisations will increase. Those same organisations will have some really, really tricky decisions to make about their OS future. But itwill happen this year and if it doesn’t, 2014 is going to be very, very interesting.

So if this article is right, then this site not working for you is just the beginning of the problems you are going to see.   And while you make this claim:

This is the only website on the entire internet I can't log onto using Windows XP

There are already sites out there that won't work for you, you just don't happen to use them.  Expect more to come.

Look, I get that you want a site to just work when you come to it and it is frustrating as hell when it doesn't.  But I don't make a cent off of this site, in fact it costs me a bunch of money to pay for web hosting and this software to run it.  I don't have a team of developers to fix everything like commercial sites that actually generate income have.  It is just me, and I have a full time job and life on top of this.  

I'm not asking for money, or anyone's sympathy.  I got into this with my eyes open, knowing what I was getting into, and the day that I can no longer dedicate time to improving and fixing things on it, is the day I'll pass it on to someone who wants to take on the burden, but for now we are going to have to go at the pace that I can put into it.  And if that means that you need to suffer through a few jokes about how much I hate IE because of the misery it causes me, well I'm afraid you will just have to deal.

thanks for the lengthy explanation, Rich.

in regards to what you said about having not monetized the site, it is my hope that when the time comes, you will do so. i don't think that any of us want you to have to go into your own pocket for this (though we appreciate tremendously that you have).

i have nothing against a site i enjoy making money from my pageviews. in fact, on forums i support, i also click the ads on them to help out whether i want what's in the ad or not.

it's when a site owner bails out on his site's community and allows the site to suffer in his absence that i object. clearly, this won't be the case here with you and MBB.

my $0.02

thanks for the lengthy explanation, Rich.

in regards to what you said about having not monetized the site, it is my hope that when the time comes, you will do so. i don't think that any of us want you to have to go into your own pocket for this (though we appreciate tremendously that you have).

i have nothing against a site i enjoy making money from my pageviews. in fact, on forums i support, i also click the ads on them to help out whether i want what's in the ad or not.

it's when a site owner bails out on his site's community and allows the site to suffer in his absence that i object. clearly, this won't be the case here with you and MBB.

my $0.02

You know, I've kicked around the idea of adding adds to the site, but it wouldn't be to make money off of it.  This site was opened and here because everyone here is a huge Bomber and / or CFL fan.  The day the site becomes about money and not about being a fan of the Bombers / CFL, then thats the day the decisions that are made in running it are wrong.

If I can find a way to do it transparently, I would donate any profits to Never Alone (Bauer's old charity) and / or Heart & Stroke (because the sites name sake, Richard Harris died of a heart attack)

You know, I've kicked around the idea of adding adds to the site, but it wouldn't be to make money off of it.  This site was opened and here because everyone here is a huge Bomber and / or CFL fan.  The day the site becomes about money and not about being a fan of the Bombers / CFL, then thats the day the decisions that are made in running it are wrong.

If I can find a way to do it transparently, I would donate any profits to Never Alone (Bauer's old charity) and / or Heart & Stroke (because the sites name sake, Richard Harris died of a heart attack)

see? you get it.

i was going to suggest that anything over/above the operating costs goes to the Bomber's charity, but you were already there.

i'm in a supporter's club of another sport which does the same (any amount over/above our costs goes towards sponsoring a youth team).

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a problem with a site having ads to cover the cost of running the site, and if there happens to be any extra revenue (i am quite clueless about how much revenue a website can actually produce vs. costs of running) I don't hold it against anyone if they see it as compensation for the time and effort put in. 

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have a problem with a site having ads to cover the cost of running the site, and if there happens to be any extra revenue (i am quite clueless about how much revenue a website can actually produce vs. costs of running) I don't hold it against anyone if they see it as compensation for the time and effort put in so long as they don't buzz off and allow their site to atrophy from a software, moderation or community standpoint. 

amended your post

Well, as I have seemed to have offended some here with my comments, guess I'll say that I don't know the ins & outs of setting up a website & I'm sorry for saying you should fix it without thinking about what that means. Having said that, I don't need to be called a prick by others here either. I took your earlier comments to me to get a new operating system as being flippant. When KBF opened this thread today I remember what you said to me & others having a problem when the site first began. Having an owner of a website tell the members to buy a new computer is just as flippant as me telling you to fix it. I want to say that I enjoy coming here. This is a great site & a misunderstanding has taken place. Rich, let's just wipe the slate clean & be done with it. .

Despite everything that has been said in this thread, I am going to respond to this anyway.

If you really want to know the reason to some of those questions you ask, I will give you some links to read:

http://www.troyhunt.com/2013/01/the-impending-crisis-that-is-windows-xp.html

http://theie8countdown.com/

In all honesty, I expect you to read to about the second paragraph of that first web page and stop reading.  Most people don't care about all that crap.

If you take my shots at IE personally because it happens to be the browser you are used to, then you have my sincerest apology for hurting your sensibilities.  In truth, my shots are not directed at you, but at Microsoft because for years they perpetuated a browser that did not conform to industry agreed upon standards and force everyone who made a website to create it and make it run in at least 2 ways, 1 for most browsers and 1 for Internet Explorer. And while their current version of IE works, they have millions and millions of people out there using old versions in which their technology has made it impossible for people running XP to upgrade to their current browser (even though those same people can run current versions of other browsers).  So my frustration is that their negligence causes me to invest hours of my time to make things work for people.

So you want me to "fix" this stuff?   Well I want Microsoft to fix their mess.  

Why can you access those other sites, well most of them were created some years ago when things were different on the Web.  Technology moves on, browsers like Chrome update themselves automatically so they don't run into this problem, but the whole web community is still stuck with the old legacy IE browsers.  And while OB's new look works for you, as I've told you before, the only way I can "fix" this site to work properly for you on XP is to change the entire visual skin of the site. The new skin they chose happens to work on IE.   Why am I reluctant to change the skin to make the site work for IE/XP?  Well, I will tell you...

If you read through the first link I have above, they suggest that over the next couple of years, people on XP and IE8 are going to start running into problems like you are seeing here more and more.  Why?  because more and more people are finally getting off of those old platforms and it will no longer make sense financially for websites to continue to invest in all the extra time and effort to make them work on the older browsers.

That link above also makes mention that after April of next year, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP.  So browser (and this site's) issues aside, anyone using XP after that point in time is putting their digital lives and information in jeopardy by continuing to use it. Spammers and hackers are chomping at the bit for this date, because it will be a free for all for them.  This is the last paragraph of that link:

So if this article is right, then this site not working for you is just the beginning of the problems you are going to see.   And while you make this claim:

There are already sites out there that won't work for you, you just don't happen to use them.  Expect more to come.

Look, I get that you want a site to just work when you come to it and it is frustrating as hell when it doesn't.  But I don't make a cent off of this site, in fact it costs me a bunch of money to pay for web hosting and this software to run it.  I don't have a team of developers to fix everything like commercial sites that actually generate income have.  It is just me, and I have a full time job and life on top of this.  

I'm not asking for money, or anyone's sympathy.  I got into this with my eyes open, knowing what I was getting into, and the day that I can no longer dedicate time to improving and fixing things on it, is the day I'll pass it on to someone who wants to take on the burden, but for now we are going to have to go at the pace that I can put into it.  And if that means that you need to suffer through a few jokes about how much I hate IE because of the misery it causes me, well I'm afraid you will just have to deal.

If the day comes you need money just let me know & I'll donate. I'm sure others will too. And I don't think there's anything wrong for you to run ads. And to make a profit. Matter of fact you should.