Mack, Burke Give Each Other Room To Do Jobs

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/mack-burke-give-each-other-room-to-do-their-jobs-211939581.html

The give and take between Joe Mack and Tim Burke is perhaps the most important thing the Blue Bombers have going, and with each day it moves toward a more productive place.

GM and head coach don't have to like one another, although in this case they do, but they need to respect the other and allow him room to work.

Mack can't coach and Burke can't scout. They have to trust one another to fulfill his responsibilities.

Mack has to bring the players in and then get out of Burke's way.

For his part, Burke must believe Mack's instincts are correct and the players he supplies are worthy.

When the relationship loses balance in either direction it doesn't work. GMs can't fall in love with players because of tape or a workout and force them on a coach. Coaches don't have time to scout and can't be sticking their nose into that end of the process.

Continued at link ...

basically if the team fails it's because we've had two duds of a coach.. which would be a shame but pretty obvious that while Mack is fantastic at finding players his coacing decisions would have been poor and an insurmountable obstacle necessitating a change at the top. 

basically if the team fails it's because we've had two duds of a coach.. which would be a shame but pretty obvious that while Mack is fantastic at finding players his coacing decisions would have been poor and an insurmountable obstacle necessitating a change at the top.

I'm pretty sure you'd take a bullet for Mack if necessary.

If our qb situation falls apart again this season there's no way he can avoid responsibility for it.

I'm pretty sure you'd take a bullet for Mack if necessary.

If our qb situation falls apart again this season there's no way he can avoid responsibility for it.

you actually see something wrong with what I said? It's no secret that it was the coaches pushing Elliott out the door and keeping Buck this year right? So I stand by the if this year fails it's on account of Mack being poor at picking coaches... which is pretty ******* important for a team right? 

Hard to know what happened behind the scenes.  Always felt odd to me that Burke was handed the job without looking around and holding some interviews first.  52-0, 44-3, losing 29-10 at home to Jarious Jackson all would have been enough to give me pause.

and laying a 44-32 shellacking on the future Grey Cup champs in October is enough to give me hope.

Hard to know what happened behind the scenes.  Always felt odd to me that Burke was handed the job without looking around and holding some interviews first.  52-0, 44-3, losing 29-10 at home to Jarious Jackson all would have been enough to give me pause.

I think, chemistry wise, there was a lot wrong with the team last year .. it was pretty evident that the coaching staff wasn't all on the same page and that translates over to the players ..

I don’t find it odd at all.  Burke did enough to warrant an opportunity to start fresh, and put his own trademark on the team this season.  He improved the team from where it was when he took over, so that to me is a sign that he deserved a shot. 

I don’t find it odd at all.  Burke did enough to warrant an opportunity to start fresh, and put his own trademark on the team this season.  He improved the team from where it was when he took over, so that to me is a sign that he deserved a shot. 

That's a really low bar IMO, although that has become the disappointing norm for the franchise.  The lack of consistent effort week to week is a huge red flag, whether the team is good or bad.  He's not just getting a shot, he got a 3 year deal.  Guess we'll wait and see.

That's a really low bar IMO, although that has become the disappointing norm for the franchise.  The lack of consistent effort week to week is a huge red flag, whether the team is good or bad.  He's not just getting a shot, he got a 3 year deal.  Guess we'll wait and see.

Getting another shot to run this ship is one thing.  Giving him the 3 year deal is another.  

I wonder sometimes how many 3 year coaching contracts we're going to offer before we actually have a coach that last the 3 years.

Getting another shot to run this ship is one thing.  Giving him the 3 year deal is another.  

I wonder sometimes how many 3 year coaching contracts we're going to offer before we actually have a coach that last the 3 years.

Especially when we're giving them to Paul Lapolice and Tim Burke, not Wally Buono or John Hufnagel.  Is Burke going to say no to a 2 year deal?

Especially when we're giving them to Paul Lapolice and Tim Burke, not Wally Buono or John Hufnagel.  Is Burke going to say no to a 2 year deal?

what is the league standard deal?  And if the coach gets a new job, is the team still on the hook for salary?  I see that Saskatchewan now has Cortez as their OC, after he got canned after one year as Hamilton HC.  Is Hamilton still paying him a partial salary?

what is the league standard deal?  And if the coach gets a new job, is the team still on the hook for salary?  I see that Saskatchewan now has Cortez as their OC, after he got canned after one year as Hamilton HC.  Is Hamilton still paying him a partial salary?

no. usually the coach accepting a new position cancels the former team's obligation to pay them.

so wouldn't Cortez then just sit on his butt and collect a salary like Lapo is doing?  Hmmm....

not sure if taking a broadcasting gig would take Winnipeg off the hook... depends on their deal i suppose.

Yeah I like Burkes attitude but I really would have prefered to see them explore every option out there. 

Bombers fired LaPo. They're on the hook financially. I see nothing wrong with Lapo sitting around making them pay... It's in the contract. Cortez wants to work. His choice. Greg Marshall did that. Doug Berry & LaPo. Burke won't get fired right away if Mack does. He'll last the year & probably into next season if the team struggles.

IIRC Cortez received a one time buy out and once Sask signed him the difference was given back to the Cats, or something along those lines.

Lapo seems to want to sit and wait, maybe he's waiting for Ottawa ?