Blue Special Teams Coup

Original Story Here

Quick -- name the biggest free agent signing of the Joe Mack era.

We kid.

It's a trick question, of course, because the Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM regards free agent signings the same way Lindsay Lohan regards rehab clinics -- a place to go when there is positively no where else to go.

But if you were going to make a list, you could make a case the biggest free agent coup of the Mack era isn't a player signing at all, but rather last winter's wrangling by Mack and head coach Tim Burke of Craig Dickenson as the Bombers new special-teams guru.

And you don't have to take our word for it -- here's how Bombers boss Tim Burke described Dickenson on Thursday.

"Watching him out there, he's so detailed, he's got it thought out so well. He's got a lot of experience in the CFL and the NFL. I think he just does a great job," said Burke.

Continued at link...

I'm lovin that we got Dickenson.... He looks super intense in that picture lol. I'd be intimidated if I was a player! I beleive with our Defence and run game, if we have a solid ST's unit(which we will) I think we will be a 10-12 win team. That's if our defence is 2011 caliber again.

Our media, outside Tait and Irving, suck balls. Eff those guys and their constant  negativity. Bender was going on about the excess RBs and how the Bombers are never able to getting anything in return via trade, only losing them for free by cutting them. Gord Barnsley was getting into it with him about how ridiculous that statement is, in the CFL...where trades rarely happen, especially for import RBs.

Our media, outside Tait and Irving, suck balls. Eff those guys and their constant  negativity. Bender was going on about the excess RBs and how the Bombers are never able to getting anything in return via trade, only losing them for free by cutting them. Gord Barnsley was getting into it with him about how ridiculous that statement is, in the CFL...where trades rarely happen, especially for import RBs.

Not going to get into a media bashfest but I have to more or less agree. I still like Penton too, but I don't really agree with his opinion. Doesn't mean he's not a good reporter though.

Take Bender, Wiecek (who, I have to admit, is getting better slowly), Friesen and Lawless and I honestly think you could replace them with knowledgable fans and the quality of the information being shared would go up.

The last paragraph in the article: 

The other new wrinkle this year is Dickenson not being a big fan of having a full-time player on offence or defence serving as the team's kick returner, which suggests DB Johnson's days of running-back kicks might be numbered.

Anyone know who has the inside track into filling this position as of right now?  I know Massey is a returner, but who else?  McCree?

Demond Washington.

That seems like the logical choice, as long as he can hold on to the ball.  (Last year he had a few troubles with that.)

I was able to catch the first day of rookie camp and on that day Trever Kenedy had a pretty good practice.  He has some serious wheels on him.

So, for the people who have been able to watch some practices and see him perform, does he have a shot? (As a return guy.)

im ok with washington as the fulltime returner and DI on defense.

but if washington winds the nickel spot then someone else (not a starter) need to fill the returner spot.

do will ford do kick returns in college?

i think he suit that position well since he is quite dangerous in open field and he still can come in in some offensive snaps.

EDIT: found out he return kicks and these are his stats.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=139785

That was Lapo luring Tim Burke & Burke luring Dickenson. 

Yea but Mack has to agree to both, no?  Lapo could have told him he wanted Mike Kelly back and wouldn't have.. also, Macks the one who pitches the offer and lands em..So technically Mack's the fisherman to lapo/burkes lures..

GMs usually let their coaches pick their assistants because they have to work with them. It also explains why former fired head coaches end up as assistants coaching teams that fired them before. 

yea thats a good point too.. I imagine that the coaches do have almost final say in the matter when it comes to assistants.. though i thought it was macks call on OC lapo's last season here.. but that would be the exception not the norm.

yea thats a good point too.. I imagine that the coaches do have almost final say in the matter when it comes to assistants.. though i thought it was macks call on OC lapo's last season here.. but that would be the exception not the norm.

Lapo chose Crowton, not Mack. Mack apparently told him to hire an OC but not who to hire. According to Lapo, he ran into Crowton at a coaches conference and they started talking about the CFL and then Mack was brought in after Lapo and Crowton started talking about the opening for OC in Winnipeg.

Lapo chose Crowton, not Mack. Mack apparently told him to hire an OC but not who to hire. According to Lapo, he ran into Crowton at a coaches conference and they started talking about the CFL and then Mack was brought in after Lapo and Crowton started talking about the opening for OC in Winnipeg.

huh.  well then, colour me corrected. :)