Offensive Line 2014

gbill2004

The OL is slowly improving. I see the OL looking like this in 2014, starting 4 NI:

Left tackle: Glen January

Left guard: Chris Greaves

Centre: Pierre Lavertu

Right guard: Tyson Pencer

Right tackle: Patrick Neufeld

Reserves: Marc Parenteau, Paul Swiston, Steve Morley/Justin Sorensen, Jarvis Jones.

You'll notice I have us drafting Lavertu with our first round pick as our starting Centre. If he isn't ready to start, Parenteau, Morley or Sorensen can fill in until he is ready.

Your thoughts?

First round I protect: Neufeld, Greaves, Pencer, Swiston, Watson. Maybe Henoc as a gesture, even though he's a FA. Ottawa has said they will not select FAs in the expansion draft so no need to protect them.

Sorensen, Parenteau, Morley, Etienne, Kolhert, Foster are all FAs.

January is one of the imports I protect.

First round I protect: Neufeld, Greaves, Pencer, Swiston, Watson. Maybe Henoc as a gesture, even though he's a FA. Ottawa has said they will not select FAs in the expansion draft so no need to protect them.

Are you sure Sorensen, Morley, Parenteau, and Kohlert are all FA's? I haven't seen that reported for any of them. Foster and Etienne yes, the others, not so sure.

And just because Ottawa says something does not mean they are going to do it.

The OL is slowly improving. I see the OL looking like this in 2014, starting 4 NI:

Reserves: Marc Parenteau, Paul Swiston, Steve Morley/Justin Sorensen, Jarvis Jones.

You'll notice I have us drafting Lavertu with our first round pick as our starting Centre. If he isn't ready to start, Parenteau, Morley or Sorensen can fill in until he is ready.

Your thoughts?

I'm not sure a centre straight out of CIS will be an immediate upgrade on our O-line (in a year or two, possibly, Brent Jones not withstanding). Neufeld will help our ratio, but will he necessarily be better than Jones, or even Boatman? Pencer has not managed to win a starting position yet. I think Greaves has been average, but is still young and could improve. I would hope we our able to upgrade our O-line in free agency, since I'm not convinced the group you envision will be that much better than our current group, which I think is one of the 2 or 3 worst in the league.

Are you sure Sorensen, Morley, Parenteau, and Kohlert are all FA's? I haven't seen that reported for any of them. Foster and Etienne yes, the others, not so sure.

Yes I'm 100% sure my FA's listed are in fact FA's.

Your thoughts?

I'm not sure a centre straight out of CIS will be an immediate upgrade on our O-line (in a year or two, possibly, Brent Jones not withstanding). Neufeld will help our ratio, but will he necessarily be better than Jones, or even Boatman? Pencer has not managed to win a starting position yet. I think Greaves has been average, but is still young and could improve. I would hope we our able to upgrade our O-line in free agency, since I'm not convinced the group you envision will be that much better than our current group, which I think is one of the 2 or 3 worst in the league.

Agreed, and that's why I have Sorensen/Parenteau/Morley in at Centre if Lavertu isn't ready.

Based on...?

Based on...?

The Free Press a couple weeks ago.

pointless to try and speculate until we know who is going to be GM next year and what their plan is.

Isn't that the whole point of these discussion boards...to discuss/speculate? Tough crowd in here.

I like how he says it like our speculation is going to be more valid once we know who the GM is.  It's still just speculation either way.

January is at best the equivalent of a non import tackle in the CFL.....an import tackle needs to be a dominant player.

Easy to say that, but when you look around the league it's just not the case.  Hamilton has an above average OL, are Brian Simmons and Marc Dile dominant?  Not so sure.  Toronto has Tony Washington, he's good but not dominant.  BC has a couple big names, but has either carried their weight this year?  Not to the point of being called dominant.

Stanley Bryant in Calgary and Xavier Fulton in Saskatchewan are possibly the best examples of great import tackles, but that's still just 2 tackles out of 10-15 starting import T's in the league.  It's easy to SAY it, but not so easy to actually accomplish it.

January is at best the equivalent of a non import tackle in the CFL.....an import tackle needs to be a dominant player.

Easy to say that, but when you look around the league it's just not the case. Hamilton has an above average OL, are Brian Simmons and Marc Dile dominant? Not so sure. Toronto has Tony Washington, he's good but not dominant. BC has a couple big names, but has either carried their weight this year? Not to the point of being called dominant.

Stanley Bryant in Calgary and Xavier Fulton in Saskatchewan are possibly the best examples of great import tackles, but that's still just 2 tackles out of 10-15 starting import T's in the league. It's easy to SAY it, but not so easy to actually accomplish it.

yup. its not that simple as people think to find tackles, even down in the states.. they are rare due to the fact that if they can play, they are in the NFL.