Here's a Quetion for you

Booch

Say Bryant retires....

do we shift Gray to one of the tackles, and go with a Gray...Dobson....Eli....Neuf (Resigned) and Yosh

With those 4 Nationals and BO...Demski...Woli...there are our 7 required Nationals right there....Now declare only 6 as required for ratio reasons on offence, and we declare Lawson as a starter, and one of Ford if he back or Kramdi...or someone we pick up via FA at SAM...but only need 1 on field at any time to meet ratio requirements....6 on offence...1 on defence

We can then freely swap in a DA for any Canadian player on both sides of the ball if we require/want to for rotation....also with Stanley's spot gone to a National his spot is filled with another DT who doesn't have to be a DA.....Our DA's would be Castill...Grant, and then we can actually choose to put 2 others on roster...be it another DE...DB...LB...or even Richmond as that 7th olineman if we choose to do 7 again...as we end the stupidity of Jackson wasting a spot...Richmond would be a way better use of Jackson's 6 to 8 snaps.,

Then we actually signed, a cheap national full back via FA....A guy like Awachie in Sask is gonna be available and I sure he would leave there to come here, or drafted one or another player we could convert...cause it's not hard

We dump Thomas...Bennett...Briggs...Schmeckle...Mauro...and target either Kongbo or Bennett in the Hammer to be that National rotation guy for the Dline to go with Hansen and one of Haba/Garbutt/new guy

And back to the draft we move away from these picks where they see them only as ST type contributors, but actually guys who can take on legit reps, and allow them at same time to play special teams....If your an athlete at the pro level, and have skills....you can play teams.....this fascination of just special teams only demons is part of reason we are in the roster predicament at times that we are the last 2 yrs

That would be my approach if I was pulling the strings

obviously none of us really knows, but just based on some Darren Cameron tweets this season, I don't think Stan is hanging them up anytime soon. I'm trying to remember the exact wording of the tweet, but Stan had been mentioned in a positive light after a certain game this year (maybe one of those PFF grades or something like that...) and DC tweeted something along the lines of "and he's not even close to being done yet..." 

All of which is to say, this post may be moot. I think Stan is going to try and hang on for '25, but we'll see.... I imagine it's all going to come down to how his body is reacting to the wear and tear of a season. 

Edited by Noeller

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Yes was a  total Hypothetical, and I doubt he does as well....he has even said so himself,and from talk among players in the league...He is still considered the best at his spot

the whole conversation about future OL configurations is really interesting, for sure, and worthy of debate on here. I'm really curious to see what things look like down the road. One thing that's interesting to me is that people keep talking about Yoshi in the same breath as Stan in terms of when they'll retire..... but Yoshi is like 5 years younger than Stan. You could maybe make the argument that because his body type is different, and there's more wear and tear on Yoshi, or whatever, but all things being equal, he shouldn't be nearing retirement anytime soon, I wouldn't think.....

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the whole conversation about future OL configurations is really interesting, for sure, and worthy of debate on here. I'm really curious to see what things look like down the road. One thing that's interesting to me is that people keep talking about Yoshi in the same breath as Stan in terms of when they'll retire..... but Yoshi is like 5 years younger than Stan. You could maybe make the argument that because his body type is different, and there's more wear and tear on Yoshi, or whatever, but all things being equal, he shouldn't be nearing retirement anytime soon, I wouldn't think.....

Stan is a massive outlier though. You take 100 tackles who get an all star nod you’d be lucky for 1 or 2 to play that many years. 

yoshi and his build is certainly all the harder to keep healthy. Bryant really has a perfect build for longevity. Yoshi has done great work to get in and maintain better shape. But it’s still a lot for the years he Carried and played on like 350 lbs. the relative health and length of his career is already tremendous tbh. 

both have also played through a lot of injuries especially the last two ish years. 

also the job our trainers have done with all the ol is tremendous and can’t be understated. The amount of games that neuf yoshi and Bryant have played is insane. 

It's all speculation but they've kept Richmond around for a few years and at the moment he's the heir apparent at LT. That said there is nothing really suggesting Bryant retires. OTOH the Bombers might start to negotiate his contract downwards and he may balk at that idea. Richmond is also a pending free agent and he may choose to leave in free agency for a chance to start and / or earn more money.

For that matter IIRC Gray, Dobson and  Kolo are also potential free agents so who knows what 2024 brings.